Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I t surprised me. I can understand the dampen expectations down bit...these players are cowards as we know.

However, I think we need to be beating our breast a bit more than 'touch top 4'. It's a bit too much like hiding our light under a bushell in a season when West Ham have 'touched the top 4' for weeks.
I'm guessing that behind closed doors there's more than "oh I'm just happy to be here" type of talk like this touching top 4 comment.

on the other hand, when you take a look at our team, we're kinda crap. This season looks like a deviation from the mean compared to same players over last 5 years, if you get my drift. If we were any higher up the table I'd compare us to $GME stock.

Honestly, Carlo or not, I've no faith in this bunch to get top4, even 6th would be overachieving. I'm basing that on the fact that the players bottled last 5 massive chances to solidify our Euro run. Well, maybe L'pool and Soton runs actually induced a mentality shift, but I'm still more inclined to think we'll bottle it eventually.

West Ham top 4...Spurs, Arsenal midtable?

West Ham are the obvious team who are having an unexpected season, thus far, might I add.

The RS too.

I didn't think Spurs or Arsenal would get top 4. I thought it would be the same as last season: RS, City, United, Chelsea. I thought the chasing pack would be Spurs, Leicester, us, and Arsenal.

I personally thought Leicester would tail off, but, they've been in the top 4 for about 18 months or something now, apart from the last game week of last season lol unlucky lads lol so it's hard to question their credentials.

The only surprises other than Leicester -for me personally might I add- are West Ham and the RS.

I'm a huge Carlo fan

But I do hate that narrative of "he knows more than you/us"

Of course he does, football has been his life and career for decades

That doesn't mean that coaches are always right and should not be questioned. Pretty much every football coach in the world knows more than us, yet they still make mistakes. Mistakes due to stubbornness, arrogance, lack of confidence, poor judgment, favoritism, poor people skills, etc. We see coaches in all sports every day doing terrible jobs and making WTF decisions

Hell Carlo has had a few blunders himself

I believe in Carlo because I see what he is doing and how we are progressing. His signings and results are moving us in the right direction. I simply believe in him
Yeah but it's a bit like me thinking I can critic Ramsey and cook a meal to Ramsey standards cuz I've read a few recipe books and watched a few cook shows every weekend. Reality is our depth of knowledge is a drop in the ocean compared to pros. I'm good mates with someone who was with Man United from he was 10 until he was 21 and is currently playing elsewhere now and these guys analyse and watch a game on a completely different level. He'll point out how player 'x' is playing his role perfectly but we think he's garbo cuz he's not whizzing in through balls and assists every 5 mins. They're thinking about and looking at things most of us aren't even looking at, they're seeing the play 3 passes before us.

I agree that football on the surface really is a simple game of "get ball, control ball, put in back of net and keep out of ours" there's also a whole other side to it that most of us aren't even seeing/ ignoring when watching, me included.

Reality is we'll never know better than even a lesser manager of Carlos standards and people's egos can't handle that. But ultimately it is a results game, if results are going your way people are happy. If not they all become armchair managers. I think the fact that no fan (that I am aware of) has gained employment as an elite football manager should be proof enough that we're probably not qualified to criticise accurately. Doesn't mean we can't but we're probably way off the mark with shouts most the time. I mean most in this forum have voted Siggy as our worst signing ever yet he's single handedly been responsible for 11 of our pts this season.

Last edited:

I'm guessing that behind closed doors there's more than "oh I'm just happy to be here" type of talk like this touching top 4 comment.

on the other hand, when you take a look at our team, we're kinda crap. This season looks like a deviation from the mean compared to same players over last 5 years, if you get my drift. If we were any higher up the table I'd compare us to $GME stock.

Honestly, Carlo or not, I've no faith in this bunch to get top4, even 6th would be overachieving. I'm basing that on the fact that the players bottled last 5 massive chances to solidify our Euro run. Well, maybe L'pool and Soton runs actually induced a mentality shift, but I'm still more inclined to think we'll bottle it eventually.
I agree. I dont see that much there beyond 3/4 players. He's done astonisshingly well with what hels inherited.

However, apart from City I could pretty much say the same about other PL teams looking to get a top 4 slot.

I agree. I dont see that much there beyond 3/4 players. He's done astonisshingly well with what hels inherited.

However, apart from City I could pretty much say the same about other PL teams looking to get a top 4 slot.
Agreed, I'd add Utd to the list. Think they're guaranteed a top4 slot. Rest is game.

If we somehow manage a top4 slot, I sure hope Fahrad smashes the bank and that we somehow offload half of the players we have now.

I keep reading people say hes doing marvelously with this squad.

Im taking nothing away from Carlo here, but the squad isn't as bad as people make out, sure it lacks depth in some areas, but we have some very, very, very good players.

Top 4 would be overachieving of course, but can we stop pretending we have Brighton players please.

We've finished 4th once in the 28 years of this premier league thingy.
Truth is we're not better than that in that context. Its a hard pill to swallow and im old enough to have seen Everton do a lap of honour at Goodison as Champions.
We've fallen off a cliff since. Cant keep going on about we should be talked as this and that. We've got to earn it back and then start saying we are better than that.
It stinks. But its the truth.
But we've been there on many occasions 'touching 4th'. It isn't new territory for us.

Anyway, it was a small remark and winning at WBA puts us there in any case.

Im taking nothing away from Carlo here, but the squad isn't as bad as people make out, sure it lacks depth in some areas, but we have some very, very, very good players.

Top 4 would be overachieving of course, but can we stop pretending we have Brighton players please.
Assembled by an idiot, adapted by a genius.

He is though if we finish 4th especially but I'd argue even finishing 5th and 6th would be a marvelous job for what he's got at his disposal. I'd say we're comfortably the 7th or 8th best squad on paper and we're also competing with Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool for those 3 spots. So it's a big ask imo. Probably gaurenteed that we'll need to beat Chelsea and West Ham to secure one of those spots too.

Edit: can't write off Villa either, they've 2 games in hand, 6pts off 4th and we've to play them twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back