Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised that people thought we played badly yesterday.

As usual, our fundamentals were there for all to see - good defensive shape, work rate off the ball, aggressive on second balls and a threat from set-pieces. These are the fundamentals for a reason; with them you can play badly and still get results, but without them you can play well and lose.

However to suggest that the fundamentals is all we showed last night is misleading imho. Our passing out from the back was exceptional at times, and we strung some really nice back to front, side to side moves to beat their press. We played a high line for the first time in a long time and pressed them high up the pitch. With more accomplished ball winners in the front press and wide areas (Gomes and Sigs leave a lot to be desired, DCL doesn't work hard enough to help out the team up there at times) we could have nicked the ball back in dangerous areas more than just a few times. We also controlled the game and controlled their press well. Aside from the last few mins of injury time, I was never particularly concerned about conceding.

It was a little bit boring, but only because from 70 mins onwards we looked nailed on to win 1-0?! Sign of a good side, that.

We had soooo many more chances to score than they did and clearly deserved the win.

Massive tip of the hat to Carlo. Said the right things in the build up to the game, picked the right team, and so on.

I swear football fans are getting harder to please. Thanks to the globalisation of televised football we have too high a standard. Got to remember that some of the first team players (never mind the squad) are nowhere near top 4 level (Sigs, Gomes, Holdgate) yet here we are. Table doesn't lie. Those wanting a better 'brand' of football - either hibernate for a couple of years whilst we recruit the quality, or start supporting Bayern!

Saying you may not be favourite to get top 4 wouldn't place undue pressure.

In fact, for a manager of a club who are top 4 if they win the next game not to recognise they are in the shake up sounds a bit daft and an obvious ploy to take pressure off...which fools no one.

I think you might be ascribing a level of intelligence to footballers that isn't there.

I suspect he's saying "1 game at a time". I think it works to our advantage at this point.

Athletico Madrid are top of La Liga without playing swashbuckling, exciting and edge of your seat football.
It’s taken a while for us to find our identity under the manager, but it’s all become a bit clearer now.
I’m happy to be that kind of team and have that kind of approach.
I’m obviously not saying we are anywhere near their level, I’m more looking at the type of football they play.

As usual, our fundamentals were there for all to see - good defensive shape, work rate off the ball, aggressive on second balls and a threat from set-pieces. These are the fundamentals for a reason; with them you can play badly and still get results, but without them you can play well and lose.

However to suggest that the fundamentals is all we showed last night is misleading imho. Our passing out from the back was exceptional at times, and we strung some really nice back to front, side to side moves to beat their press. We played a high line for the first time in a long time and pressed them high up the pitch. With more accomplished ball winners in the front press and wide areas (Gomes and Sigs leave a lot to be desired, DCL doesn't work hard enough to help out the team up there at times) we could have nicked the ball back in dangerous areas more than just a few times. We also controlled the game and controlled their press well. Aside from the last few mins of injury time, I was never particularly concerned about conceding.

It was a little bit boring, but only because from 70 mins onwards we looked nailed on to win 1-0?! Sign of a good side, that.

We had soooo many more chances to score than they did and clearly deserved the win.

Massive tip of the hat to Carlo. Said the right things in the build up to the game, picked the right team, and so on.

I swear football fans are getting harder to please. Thanks to the globalisation of televised football we have too high a standard. Got to remember that some of the first team players (never mind the squad) are nowhere near top 4 level (Sigs, Gomes, Holdgate) yet here we are. Table doesn't lie. Those wanting a better 'brand' of football - either hibernate for a couple of years whilst we recruit the quality, or start supporting Bayern!

We played pretty well yesterday for about 70 mins. The last 10 mins were more nervy than we needed it to be, but we got the result. We could have been a little bit more ruthless and got the second to make it safe.

We didn't create much in the final third, which was a bit concerning against a poor side. but in general we are on the right track.

I actually like our "style" of football. We are more dynamic to our opposition than we've ever been before. We defend when we need to and we are clinical when we need to be. We have the highest conversion rate in the league. I seem to remember Silva and Martinez getting destroyed for their inability to adapt to the opposition or flow of a game.

The only thing I wish we would improve is our mentality when we go a goal up. We are always sloppy in possession just after we score.

You see, I see things differently.

I don't think the season is as mad as people keep suggesting.

The Premier League has been won before with 75 points. But, you know what, the best team still won it.

I don't look at the league table and think it's been a crazy season. I look at the league table, and see most teams roughly where I expected them to be at the start of the season.

Points trends may change, but the cream will still rise to the top.
But last season we had a floater win the league :)

Some turds will float and rise to the top

We didn't create much in the final third, which was a bit concerning against a poor side. but in general we are on the right track.

I actually like our "style" of football. We are more dynamic to our opposition than we've ever been before. We defend when we need to and we are clinical when we need to be. We have the highest conversion rate in the league. I seem to remember Silva and Martinez getting destroyed for their inability to adapt to the opposition or flow of a game.

The only thing I wish we would improve is our mentality when we go a goal up. We are always sloppy in possession just after we score.
After the VAR review for Mikky's goal we definitely dropped of a level in our intensity. This is a very 'Everton that' mentality, we are always vulnerable I feel after these key moments in games - just after we've scored or after big decisions.

I also like our style of football. Pundits and fairweather watchers are drawn too much to the highlight moments in games which taken out of context appear to paint us as some kind of long ball, set piece team who also score fortuitous tap ins on the counter. Anyone who watches a full 90 of Everton on the regular knows that we are a problem when we get it down and play - even if we only play in spurts. I think we catch teams out as a result, not sure many teams are aware of the quality we possess in our combinations up top!

All of that. The odd thing is though that even though we get sloppy after we score and eject really push on forcefully for the second, I never really get worried when Everton are 1-0 up that we’ll concede the late sucker punch that happened time and time again under previous managers. Southampton are really good in the air and had so many corners but didn’t look a threat at all. Liverpool may as well not have bothered taking them against us we were so comfortable.

Well said, People are also forgetting that we have another game on thursday. Its clear carlo picked a team that could win. Some of the shouts last night were ridiculous.

"We deserved to lose" " they had more big chances" etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back