Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible? We totally controlled the game they had 1 shot on target and that was the 90th minute. The ref played 3 extra minutes to try to get them to score. We where close to getting a 2nd goal a few times.
Come on! We controlled nothing, they almost equalised and I think we had half a shot on target other than the goal.

I'm a big fan of Ancelotti. However, I dont think that comment about wanting to "touch top 4" is particularly helpful to us.

It may be seen as taking pressure off a team that hasn't been able to shoulder the burden of expectation. But we should be hearing the manager saying something like: 'we might not be favourites to make top 4, but in the past we've seen the club in the top 4 many times; so why not at the end of the season?'

In short: dont set the bar too low. I get the feeling Ancelotti is shooting for a EL place; do that with these players and they'll get you mid-table.

I don’t want to say anything too crazy, but I’m just going to put this out there...

There’s a small possibility that Carlo Ancelotti knows slightly more about managing footballers than you do Dave.

Only a small possibility, obviously, but it’s there.

After the VAR review for Mikky's goal we definitely dropped of a level in our intensity. This is a very 'Everton that' mentality, we are always vulnerable I feel after these key moments in games - just after we've scored or after big decisions.

I also like our style of football. Pundits and fairweather watchers are drawn too much to the highlight moments in games which taken out of context appear to paint us as some kind of long ball, set piece team who also score fortuitous tap ins on the counter. Anyone who watches a full 90 of Everton on the regular knows that we are a problem when we get it down and play - even if we only play in spurts. I think we catch teams out as a result, not sure many teams are aware of the quality we possess in our combinations up top!

I havent the time to dig out the stats, but there is loads of data about how a disallowed goals, kicks the "saved" team into gear and they become the far more likely team to score the next one if that makes sense

I thought southampton were absolutely abject until the offside goal was disallowed & it seemed to kick them into life

I'm a huge Carlo fan

But I do hate that narrative of "he knows more than you/us"

Of course he does, football has been his life and career for decades

That doesn't mean that coaches are always right and should not be questioned. Pretty much every football coach in the world knows more than us, yet they still make mistakes. Mistakes due to stubbornness, arrogance, lack of confidence, poor judgment, favoritism, poor people skills, etc. We see coaches in all sports every day doing terrible jobs and making WTF decisions

Hell Carlo has had a few blunders himself

I believe in Carlo because I see what he is doing and how we are progressing. His signings and results are moving us in the right direction. I simply believe in him

I'm a big fan of Ancelotti. However, I dont think that comment about wanting to "touch top 4" is particularly helpful to us.
The way I understood the comment is that he wants to get top4, if only for a few days, as it puts pressure on teams playing after us and keeps us in the Euro mix.

I'm a huge Carlo fan

But I do hate that narrative of "he knows more than you/us"

Agree on some things, disagree on others. It’s one thing saying “ugh, he really shouldn’t play Sigurdsson left wing”... another saying “actually THIS is the correct psychology he should use to motivate these players that I’ve never met or spoken to and that he works with every day”

You see, I see things differently.

I don't think the season is as mad as people keep suggesting.

The Premier League has been won before with 75 points. But, you know what, the best team still won it.

I don't look at the league table and think it's been a crazy season. I look at the league table, and see most teams roughly where I expected them to be at the start of the season.

Points trends may change, but the cream will still rise to the top.
West Ham top 4...Spurs, Arsenal midtable?

Agree on some things, disagree on others. It’s one thing saying “ugh, he really shouldn’t play Sigurdsson left wing”... another saying “actually THIS is the correct psychology he should use to motivate these players that I’ve never met or spoken to and that he works with every day”

Yeah of course

I wasn't addressing that specifically, just the general concept.

Also even that, we see Jose publicly shame his players all the time and destroy their confidence. Sometimes it works, sometimes it destroys the player so I can't even say 100% that every coach knows how to psychologically manage his players even though they should

In Carlo's case, he absolutely knows how to manage his players lol.

The way I understood the comment is that he wants to get top4, if only for a few days, as it puts pressure on teams playing after us and keeps us in the Euro mix.
I t surprised me. I can understand the dampen expectations down bit...these players are cowards as we know.

However, I think we need to be beating our breast a bit more than 'touch top 4'. It's a bit too much like hiding our light under a bushell in a season when West Ham have 'touched the top 4' for weeks.

I t surprised me. I can understand the dampen expectations down bit...these players are cowards as we know.

However, I think we need to be beating our breast a bit more than 'touch top 4'. It's a bit too much like hiding our light under a bushell in a season when West Ham have 'touched the top 4' for weeks.

We don't know what he says privately to them.

The media game is just that, a game.

I don’t want to say anything too crazy, but I’m just going to put this out there...

There’s a small possibility that Carlo Ancelotti knows slightly more about managing footballers than you do Dave.

Only a small possibility, obviously, but it’s there.
He's a great manager. I just quetion what he's communicating there.

It is allowed. He isn't infallible.

Yeah of course

I wasn't addressing that specifically, just the general concept.

Also even that, we see Jose publicly shame his players all the time and destroy their confidence. Sometimes it works, sometimes it destroys the player so I can't even say 100% that every coach knows how to psychologically manage his players even though they should

The Mourinho one is interesting. Earlier in his career, he would go to basically any lengths to protect his players from scrutiny, pressure etc... his personality was more or less “built” to take that on himself, drawing attention, criticism etc.

In latter years he’s almost flipped to the complete opposite, throwing players under the bus and the like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back