2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are confusing pragmatism and realism for dogmatism there.

I think too many people lack perspective.

You only have to look at the respective benches yesterday to see the gulf between us and Chelsea right now. When was the last time we won at Chelsea? We went with a game plan and we were unlucky with the own goal. Our options were limited from there.

They had Kante on the bench.

Think about that, and imagine how much of a difference he'd make to our team just on his own.

It is a concern that we seem to have several sicknotes in this squad who seem to miss the majority of games through injury.

Clearly there is some deadwood and we certainly need to add some more quality, my fear is Everton will add 1 or 2 good additions each year whereas I think we need 5 right away, and good ones too if we are to sustain a league and European campaign next season.

I think we have the right man for the job, clearly he is, but he is hamstrung by the clubs previously dealings and FFP.

I agree with most of this, but there are several examples in this thread that go a bit further by questioning people's sanity etc. for being critical of poor performances.

That's because most people EXPECT poor performances sometimes.

Going into this season, most people I know said a challenge for the Europa places would be seen as progress.

If that's your aim as a team, then you expect poor performances to happen. Nobody ever finished 7th and played boss every week for a whole season.

It is a concern that we seem to have several sicknotes in this squad who seem to miss the majority of games through injury.

Clearly there is some deadwood and we certainly need to add some more quality, my fear is Everton will add 1 or 2 good additions each year whereas I think we need 5 right away, and good ones too if we are to sustain a league and European campaign next season.

I think we have the right man for the job, clearly he is, but he is hamstrung by the clubs previously dealings and FFP.

I mean the only real 'sicknote' we have is James.

But that's the issue. It's why he's at Everton and not still ripping it up at Madrid or Bayern.

He has a longstanding calf issue. I don't think our medical team have managed it very well but it's not been helped by the fact he's not played a lot for a year or so before coming here. He's world class, so it's worth it getting the 20 - 25 games per season out of him.

The main thing which is crippling us atm is our previous recruitment being so one-paced, so lacking in power. So many sluggish, technically decent players with no bravery on the ball or athleticism (probably lack bravery because they aren't athletic enough).

That's what needs to be addressed. I can understand it's an issue that under previous managers wanting different types of players etc, but we always look such a small side. Look at Alonso, James yesterday. Proper athletes down the wings.

The one area I don't think Brands has an excuse for is right-back. That should have been sorted years ago. Arguably at the same time as Digne. To not have a succession plan in place and not to have made our minds up on Kenny sooner is really, really poor.

It's clear where the issues lie in the squad. Now it's about getting the best out of what we have for the rest of the season and hope we finish in Europe, which will give us more money to spend on the clear areas of need.

In saying that, to finish higher, we have to win games, and that means scoring goals, and that means creating more chances than we do.

Last edited:
I only mean in terms of being able to push on with this group of players. I just get the feeling that the club still has the 'expected loss' mentality in some games.
Expected loss mentality? When we've taken 4 points off last years champions, beaten Chelsea, beaten Spurs twice, came back from the dead at Old Trafford, won at Leicester etc etc
I’d have to disagree.
I’d say there has been a big shift in mentality.
We lost yesterday to an OG and penalty at in form Chelsea, who naturally were going to be coming onto us, especially with our weakened side.
Some big over reactions after yesterday.

So you don't think we should have done better against Leeds, Fulham and Newcastle at home ? It is a genuine question btw, I am not trying to wind you up.
Those losses are offset by wins against Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs that we "shouldn't" really be getting. So the sensible and logical thing to do is judge things on the whole, not isolated games where things can and do go wrong (for every team in three league). And if you do that, with this squad, there is no way we "should" be doing better in terms of league position, which is the most important measure.

That's because most people EXPECT poor performances sometimes.

Going into this season, most people I know said a challenge for the Europa places would be seen as progress.

If that's your aim as a team, then you expect poor performances are gonna happen. Nobody ever finished 7th and played boss every week for a whole season.
I am firmly in that camp, but it is incredibly frustrating that we continually pass up chances to go one better. The inconsistency in performances is baffling, almost game to game at the moment. We had a good little run after the derby in terms of points, but we could easily have drawn or lost those games.

Carlo doesn’t use it but it’s hard to get away from the fact.
Mina 1st choice pritty much
Coleman 1st choice when fully fit
Dacoure 1st choice
James 1st choice
Olson back up but plays

then you got
Allan who clearly not fit and wouldn’t be getting 90.
Davies just back from injury.

main problem is still midfield. Gomes and Siggy can’t control a game and are scared to go forward. Allan can play good passes but as stated already not fully fit yet
Davies has improved but he no Maddison/Grelish type player

Games missed through injuries and suspensions in the league this season.

Allan - 11
Coleman - 10
Digne - 10 (1 suspension)
James - 6
Holgate - 6
Mina - 4
Richy - 3 (3 suspension)
DCL - 3
Doucoure - 2 (1 suspension)

Last edited:

Allan - 11
Coleman - 10
James - 6
Holgate - 6
Mina - 4
Richy - 3 (3 suspension)
DCL - 3
Has james only missed 6? Thought he'd missed well more than that

Allan - 11
Coleman - 10
James - 6
Holgate - 6
Mina - 4
Richy - 3 (3 suspension)
DCL - 3

Richy definitely has missed more than the 3 for the red card. He had the concussion against United in the cup and missed a couple over Christmas as well as the FA cup game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back