2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that in the cold light of day that board meeting that took place recently has been pivotal. Brands wanting to invest in younger players, Carlo wanting older ready made players and Mosh saying this is all we have - after you spent that, then you need to sell your better players.

Carlo probably looked at it and thought - the players let him down , the squad needs more than 50m of money on offer, hammered by city and finished 10th.

He basically checked out after the meeting but don't underestimate the damage to his family after the robbery.

Still left feeling very confused by the Carlo experience. So much could have been better. Some unbelievable highs and some incredible lows.

But one thing to mention - for all the negativity about the football he had us playing etc...
Based on win % alone, he is the 3rd best manager we've ever had post war.

1. Howard Kendall (first stint) - 54.14% (338 games)
2. Harry Catterick - 46.46% (594 games)
3. Carlo Ancelotti - 46.27% (67 games)
4. Roberto Martinez - 42.86% (140 games)
5. Colin Harvey - 42.35% (170 games)
6. David Moyes - 42.05% (516 games)
7. Johnny Carey - 41.80% ( 122 games)
8. Ronald Koeman - 41.38% (58 games)
9. Marco Silva - 40% (60 games)
10. Gordon Lee - 39.32% (234 games)

Think what you like about it, but the cold hard fact is that we've just lost a manager who was managing Everton FC to win football matches at a rate significantly higher than almost anyone else in our history. And for him, that rate was a failure.

Those who are glad to be rid of him - be very careful what you wish for.

That being said. He's a rat.

Still left feeling very confused by the Carlo experience. So much could have been better. Some unbelievable highs and some incredible lows.

But one thing to mention - for all the negativity about the football he had us playing etc...

Think what you like about it, but the cold hard fact is that we've just lost a manager who was managing Everton FC to win football matches at a rate significantly higher than almost anyone else in our history. And for him, that rate was a failure.

Koeman and Silva above Gordon Lee . Sad , very sad .

I suspect that in the cold light of day that board meeting that took place recently has been pivotal. Brands wanting to invest in younger players, Carlo wanting older ready made players and Mosh saying this is all we have - after you spent that, then you need to sell your better players.

Carlo probably looked at it and thought - the players let him down , the squad needs more than 50m of money on offer, hammered by city and finished 10th.

He basically checked out after the meeting but don't underestimate the damage to his family after the robbery.
That's some excellent creative writing.

The shorter (and likely more accurate) version is this:

Real Madrid came in for him.

The end.

It is reminiscent of his 2nd seasons at Chelsea, Madrid, Bayern and Napoli though. He is a great man manager and initially does well. However, the longer he stays, the worse the performances become. You can be as charming as you like, and the players can have genuine affection for the manager, but that only goes so far.

Time and time again during his second seasons his outdated tactical thinking and appalling training regime gets found out. I think he is smart enough to know that and that is why he jumped ship at PSG to go to Madrid and has done the same with us.

Since he left Milan in 2009 he has never managed a team for more than two seasons. That was why he was never the right man for a long term project like Everton.

These cup games against League One sides made the stats looks a bit better. Bobby was like 38% in the league.

Last 4 managers with a average of 53 games between them. Not good.

I think the man was ill equipped to deal with the task at hand which was (still is) to improve the club on the ptch and results that go with it. His short term fix was to bring in Allan and Hamez which to a degree worked but neither could stay fit. Over the 18 month tenure he clearly got to understand that his methods of almost guaranteeing succes - bringing in the very best players - was never really going to happen. So he cashed his chps in early. Don't like him for it and I've said previously I feel personally let down by his swift departure. Never thought that about another manager because I bought into what he saying about the long term, great project blah, blah, blah and I believed it. I think most of us did it. Basically he can't hack it at a club like Everton (but who can?) and he has gone down in my estimation as a man and a manager.

I think there's more to it than that.

No doubt the main thing is winning matches (no matter how). Football is also about entertainment and goals. We were absolute garbage. Who wants to watch that for 90 odd minutes? It does seem the players downed tools as well over Ancelotti. Makes sense in one way but doesn't reflect well on them either. Someone needs to get a grip at this club.

Im certain that something went on 3 months ago, the way so many players just downed tools.

This doesnt look good on those players, just as much as Carlo.

That, plus carlo's comments plus THAT Seamus interview
The players never get the blame or sack and it would be nice if we are somehow totally innovative and different and buck the trend like we usually do. There must be a way out of this mess of so many comfortable players just treading water.

Status
Not open for further replies.