2018/19 Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree that we overpaid for him as you said and his contract, while nowhere near as bad as some of them, is a definitely a stumbling block.

My point is that, in my humble opinion, he is actually a decent striker who now unfortunately doesn't suit our current needs and this negates his ability.

For me, he showed last season that he's much better than all the players that I mentioned and 'could' offer something in the future; they certainly will not.
I don't know. He's decent, but it's not just our system, he's just not capable of playing at this level I think, it's too fast and too physical. Last year people blamed Allardyce for the fact he didn't look great, this year it's Silva. It seems far more likely to me that he just isn't good enough.

To be fair, all of the players you've mentioned fall into a similar bracket. For all people like to make out that players who don't do well for us are League 2 standard, most of them are decent in their own right but just not up to scratch for a team in the top half of the PL. Just look at Bolasie now, he's on track to absolutely smash his best ever goalscoring season despite only joining Anderlecht at the end of January, because the Belgian league, like the Turkish one, is not comparable to the PL. I'm sure Sandro would find his scoring boots if he went and played in Turkey too.

I like Cenk and think he's been a bit unlucky under Silva. Thought he did quite well under Allardyce, who signed him, but Silva obviously doesn't fancy him. As others have said, I think he's a good finisher, but that's not the only factor in succeeding in this league. I really like the way he celebrates goals when not even on the pitch, and he seems a good character to have around the place, so he's not anywhere near the top of the list of who I'd like to see shipped out. I think he could still offer something if set up in a suitable system.

Seems a popular player with a good attitude but at this level you need to occupy the defenders in one of 2 ways: The pace to get in behind, or the aerial and physical ability to win the ball in the air and hold it up.

Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have either of these, so I find it unlikely he will ever succeed here. Having said that, he is technically a decent player, and a very decent finisher in my opinion, so a move back to the Turkish league could suit all parties. Hopefully we recoup most of our outlay back. Shame really.

I like Cenk and think he's been a bit unlucky under Silva. Thought he did quite well under Allardyce, who signed him, but Silva obviously doesn't fancy him. As others have said, I think he's a good finisher, but that's not the only factor in succeeding in this league. I really like the way he celebrates goals when not even on the pitch, and he seems a good character to have around the place, so he's not anywhere near the top of the list of who I'd like to see shipped out. I think he could still offer something if set up in a suitable system.

That's pretty much word for word what I feel. I get that he doesn't mesh with Silva's style of play but that doesn't mean that he couldn't contribute if the circumstances were right. Given he's probably with us for a little while yet I'd like to see some effort to develop a genuine plan B that utilises his qualities, rather than throwing him on for ten minutes and asking him to play the same role whoever was up front before was fulfilling. Maybe that means playing two up front, or bringing him on with Walcott and changing the style at that point to get more crosses in. Something that says, 'we're going to try and give you some of the chances that you were banging in when you first arrived / before you came.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back