2018/19 Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.
....I think he’s very ordinary and i’ve always been of the opinion he’s behind DCL in the queue (I think a lot more fans have come around to that view).
Fully agree on all points.

He was far too expensive for a gamble. We probably should have been able to ascertain that he'd be too slow for the Premier League, but unfortunately didn't. He can finish, but is not dynamic enough to cut it imo. I'd be looking to get rid and I am sure that's what we're doing. Nice enough chap, by all accounts.

DCL has been one of the few success stories of this season for us. Easily Young Player of the Season for us, and I think the main award needs to go to Digne.

Fully agree on all points.

He was far too expensive for a gamble. We probably should have been able to ascertain that he'd be too slow for the Premier League, but unfortunately didn't. He can finish, but is not dynamic enough to cut it imo. I'd be looking to get rid and I am sure that's what we're doing. Nice enough chap, by all accounts.

DCL has been one of the few success stories of this season for us. Easily Young Player of the Season for us, and I think the main award needs to go to Digne.

Way to expensive but the fans were demanding a player, any player

He can score amazing goals, but to be really effective, we’d have to build the team around him. And he’s not good enough for that.

We’re not in the Top 6 so there’s always going to be a difference in quality.
But that's the aim
Unless everyone is happy with 7th being our 1st

We have the ability to spend 50m+ and gives 150k a week wages, that's enough to attract some decent players.

If I were to make a list of all of the players that need either selling or replacing in the Everton squad, Tosun would be on it but he'd be the very bottom of the list.

There's a lot of players who need to go before we think about selling Cenk Tosun.

If I were to make a list of all of the players that need either selling or replacing in the Everton squad, Tosun would be on it but he'd be the very bottom of the list.

There's a lot of players who need to go before we think about selling Cenk Tosun.

Need is a strong word. But if you could get 20M for him this summer, you wouldn't take it?

Graeme Sharp might know quite a bit about strikers, not sure about football in general, he tried to convince me, one time I was talking to him, that Paul Gerrard was a good goalkeeper, don’t think he had his tongue in his cheek either. ,!!!

He had him at Oldham didn't he?

Gerrard possibly just couldn't cope with the step up to the "big time".

“Can’t believe we’ve got Tosun and City have Aguero”

But yeh, it’s City, they have more money, more status, more pull.
Plenty of good players around here and abroad outside the top 6.

There's enough money for the fee and wages, more then enough to bring in some quality

If West ham can attract the likes of yaramolenko, Anderson, lanzini and arnoutivic, then we should be aiming for a level above that.

Depends what you mean by 'need' I suppose. We've got worse footballers, and we've got worse drains on resource, but in terms of potentially saleable assets who we would hardly miss at all when sold, he stands out like a beacon as the number one player we need to punt. He just hasn't done it here, and I've said before, if you take out a fortnight last March in which he got 4 goals, we'd be calling him the worst signing we've ever made.

He reminds me of James Beattie in many ways - with both of them, you can see the finishing ability is there and they both came with big reputations from their previous clubs.

Thing is, Cenk (like Beattie) just doesn't seem mobile or dynamic enough to influence the game properly. I actually like a lot about him, but what he lacks are elements he can never gain and I think I (and a lot of others) have come round to the opinion that he just isn't going to be able to cut it as a result, which is a big shame. Can't fault his work ethic, and I think he's a fairly intelligent player, but it's become apparent that DCL has already surpassed him as far as effectiveness goes. Think we will need to recoup about £18m to avoid an accounting loss, and that seems optimistic, so a loan next season might be more realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back