Chang Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think two places in the Premiership is going to make a big difference when negotiating a sponsorship deal...bloody hell. Well yeah now you put it like that we should be getting money by the lorry load.

Not what I said is it really.

Newcastle are getting £5m a year from a deal signed in 2012 I believe ? We're agreeing a deal from 2014 onwards which might be worth that much.

If you think that's okay then fair enough. Clap clap clap.

I realise the temptation is to be hysterical about this and demand that we should be getting a better deal, but let's look at the actual facts:

- It is £5.3m a year over three years.

- That makes it the 8th best deal in the Premier League.

- It is only slightly less than the 7th best deal, which is Newcastle at £6m a year - however, a) who would want Wonga on their shirts? Wonga overpaid to make sure they got the deal; and b) Newcastle sell a lot more shirts than we do.

- More crucially, the top 6 best sponsorship deals in the Premier League are exactly who you would expect - the current top 5 plus Man Utd. All of them regularly qualify for European football (or in Liverpool's case, have a pedigree for it up until recent years). We have qualified for European football 5 times in 29 years.
Our sponsorship deal is commensurate with our league standing. Outside of the mega rich clubs, we are the 'best of the rest', Newcastle the very slight exception.

It really isn't that bad a deal, and although it is with an alcoholic beverage company, they still do an awful lot of altruistic good as part of the deal. I don't see any Standard Chartered Football Villages or training schools. And yeah, it would be great if we had the money of their deal. But we don't for obvious reasons, some of which are based on the pitch.

339ncx2.jpg

Sunderland - that Global Brand.....wait for it....... £20m a year.

Yeah Bob, a nice tan top up, free timeshare in phuket and Chang sounds the right deal....

Sunderland - that Global Brand.....wait for it....... £20m a year.

Yeah Bob, a nice tan top up, free timeshare in phuket and Chang sounds the right deal....
As if Sunderalnd are actually banking £20m p.a. from that deal, they'd have to win the CL in slippers to get that amount ffs.

Not what I said is it really.

Newcastle are getting £5m a year from a deal signed in 2012 I believe ? We're agreeing a deal from 2014 onwards which might be worth that much.

If you think that's okay then fair enough. Clap clap clap.

It's not really whether I think it's good enough but as it seems people are so interested in what other clubs get, I would say we get roughly what are position within world football and our exposure to the world merits. Of course we would all like more but we have to be realistic unfortunately. Just as no billionaire is going to chuck a wad load of cash at us anytime soon, there are not going to be big companies prepared to pay us a massive fortune to have their name on our shirts. Sad but true.

I just don't see why we need to slate the board for the deal, when realistically without blue tinted glasses we are very unlikely to get anything better.

What people don't seem to get is that it's just another 'okay' deal.

The underlying issue is why do we as a club never exceed expectations commercially ?

Newcastle managed to get £10m off Virgin, regardless of whether the deal then ended or Virgin decided it wasn't worth renewing, the point is that they got it.

The underlying issue is why do we as a club never exceed expectations commercially ?

Newcastle managed to get £10m off Virgin, regardless of whether the deal then ended or Virgin decided it wasn't worth renewing, the point is that they got it.

I get it Brenz. I get it.

Hats off to all, 5m PA eh, quite something that Suntan.

As someone was saying this morning, it must have been one of the laziest deals ever did they even ask other sponsors or did they just call Chang and got a small raise? Glasses all around for the biggest deal in club's history yadda yadda. Spurs nearly doubled their income from the latest deal when they changed sponsors.

we don't know what we are getting from Umbro, with us being their "flagship club" could be a sweet deal like. I do find it positive that we are building on that financial stability that we have (as seen in the latest financial report when we broke even, despite not including player sales of fellaini etc) through signing these new financial deals. Hopefully this money can go towards reducing some of our debt

They sell a ton of shirts and have an average gate of 50,351 this season. That's why they get more for shirt sponsorship than we do.

we have a new manager, exciting young players coming in, couldn't we have tried to get a new sponsor, or get sponsors fighting over us.

Hats off to all, 5m PA eh, quite something that Suntan.

As someone was saying this morning, it must have been one of the laziest deals ever did they even ask other sponsors or did they just call Chang and got a small raise? Glasses all around for the biggest deal in club's history yadda yadda. Spurs nearly doubled their income from the latest deal when they changed sponsors.

Spurs are based in London, are owned by a billionaire and are regularly in Europe, including in the Champions League latter stages a few years back.

we have a new manager, exciting young players coming in, couldn't we have tried to get a new sponsor, or get sponsors fighting over us.

I would imagine we tried. There's no proof that we didn't.

Outside of the obvious mega rich clubs, it is still the best of the rest, which is what we are as a club. We're stuck in a vicious circle - without more money, we will not become ultra successful like the top 5/6 clubs, and without success, we will not attract a higher calibre of sponsorship.

The only thing that will break the vicious circle is the obvious - the sale of the club to a rich owner, who ploughs THEIR OWN MONEY into the club.

That is how Chelsea and Man City suddenly became 'big clubs' - not through sponsorship deals. Those deals came later. First came major investment from the personal finances of the people who own the clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back