class of 86

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this has been done before, but earlier on in an attempt to cheer myself up and re-live batter days, I was remembering the best team, within my lifetime:

Southall, Van den Hauwe, Ratcliffe, Mountfield, Stevens, Reid, Bracewell, Sheedy, Steven, Heath or Gray, Sharp

My thought was - which, from our current squad, AT THEIR BEST would make that 80s team better, and for whom?

I'd go as far as Baines for VDH - and possibly Stones for Mountfield (eventually) that would be just.

None of them. The current team are capable of finishing 4th or 5th, the 80's team were capable of being league champions (and European champions were it not for the shower from Castle Greyskull).

Southall- THE best keeper in the world. End of.
Stevens- England's first choice, back when it meant something.
Van Den Hauwe- Non shall pass, left back/centre half no matter, the oppo gets a hiding.
Ratcliffe- Imagine a ball player like Stones only lightning quick, aggressive and with a never say die attitude.
Mountfield- Solid centre half who gets 10 goals a season. We're lucky to get a 10 a season striker now.
Reid- Terrier of a midfielder but with skill and vision on top. If McCarthy is half as good I'll be made up.
Steven- Did what Mirallas does occasionally every week. Tricks and goals galore.
Gray- Had the bottle of Naismith and the strength of Lukaku x10. Oh and he scored goals.
Sharp- A true member of the Everton number nine legends club.
Bracewell- Craft and graft but with a touch of class. But for Whitehurst (****house) would have been even better.
Sheedy- If Baines is a master free kick taker then this guy was the professor. Magical left foot.

Now, back to my bible.

Last edited:
None of them. The current team are capable of finishing 4th or 5th, the 80's team were capable of being league champions (and European champions were it not for the shower from Castle Greyskull).

Southall- THE best keeper in the world. End of.
Stevens- England's first choice, back when it meant something.
Van Den Hauwe- Non shall pass, left back/centre half no matter, the oppo gets a hiding.
Ratcliffe- Imagine a ball player like Stones only lightning quick, aggressive and with a never say die attitude.
Mountfield- Solid centre half who gets 10 goals a season. We're lucky to get a 10 a season striker now.
Reid- Terrier of a midfielder but with skill and vision on top. If McCarthy is half as good I'll be made up.
Steven- Did what Mirallas does occasionally every week. Tricks and goals galore.
Gray- Had the bottle of Naismith and the strength of Lukaku x10. Oh and he scored goals.
Sharp- A true member of the Everton number nine legends club.
Bracewell- Craft and graft but with a touch of class. But for Whitehurst (****house) would have been even better.
Sheedy- If Baines is a master free kick taker then this guy was the professor. Magical left foot.
Billy Whitehurst,deffo one for the cart horse section,his only accomplishment in the game was to ruin the career of Paul Bracewell

I was at that Newcastle game,that carthorse wasn't fit to be on the same pitch as brace,he knew he was trying to "do"him as well the yard dog.

Short sighted even then. If that stair-lift were still there it could still be used today to get half of our squad onto the bench.

Bracewell did comeback after a long lay off, played for us during 1988/1989 season, think his last game was the 1989 FA Cup final.

Went on to play for Newcastle & Sunderland if my memory serves me right.

Billy Whitehurst,deffo one for the cart horse section,his only accomplishment in the game was to ruin the career of Paul Bracewell

Brian Marwood....another entrant in the Everton Hall of Infamy.

Inchy was never the same.

Then a few years later Stuart rotten Pearce ruined wee Patsy Nevin.

Brian Marwood....another entrant in the Everton Hall of Infamy.

Inchy was never the same.

Then a few years later Stuart rotten Pearce ruined wee Patsy Nevin.
Agree with Inchy,he never really got back to the level he was at early 1984 and Brian Marwood took a lot of abuse at Goodison for the rest of his career..........forgiving lot aren't we :D

Not sure about Nevin,never thought he was that good to begin with,did have flashes of genius but then so did goergi kinkladze

Agree with Inchy,he never really got back to the level he was at early 1984 and Brian Marwood took a lot of abuse at Goodison for the rest of his career..........forgiving lot aren't we :D

Not sure about Nevin,never thought he was that good to begin with,did have flashes of genius but then so did goergi kinkladze

Oh I am not saying Patsy was all that good.....just that we never saw the best of him because he was never same after Pearce crocked him.

Oh I am not saying Patsy was all that good.....just that we never saw the best of him because he was never same after Pearce crocked him.
Stuart Pearce..........psycho? now there's a fella playing on a name he wholeheartedly did not deserve or live up to

Can't stand him and when he talks it's like someone scratching a blackboard with their fingernails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back