Computer games.

I've tried all sorts: getting a Giga-capable router with 5G, setting up local wireless network where devices are connected to that 5G. Deactivating everything else. But the router isn't providing me with more than 7MB/s internal bandwidth (50Mbits/s), which matches the cap on our internet (due to old cabling in this block of flats).

Tried both Airlink and Virtual Desktop.

Maybe it's something silly like the LAN cable from the router to my PC is pre-Giga, or there's some annoying hidden 'energy save' feature on the router which is capping it. Or something i haven't thought of.

I'll have to take a closer look. 800Mb/s would be pretty amazing.
Had another look: cable is Giga, Router settings fine except i was on a channel with a handful of neighbours so changed that. Got rid of other WLAN devices. Even disconnected internet. Set Airlink bitrate to max fixed rate of 200Mb/s (doesn't appear to offer higher values, even with dynamic). My 5G-WLAN does show a nice 780Mb/s status in the OS Control Panel.

In Task Manager when OCRServer is running it actually shows around 170Mb/s, which is near the 200Mb/s fixed-rate and much better than 50Mb/s. Yet HL:Alyx at my preferred High-graphics settings is still laggy and jerky (when compared to playing with cable). It's a little smoother on Low-settings, but some jerks/jitters still...jerkiness being a hefty immersion-killer in VR.

My GPU's memory is maxing out at 8GB, even causing a warning on the Alyx title screen. It's a 3060ti so quite capable. The OCRServer is taking around 35% of the GPU's usage with encoding jobs. My CPU (5600x) is a 6-core, maybe having 8 will help remove some of the jerkiness.

Maybe living in a huge complex of flats doesn't help either....wifi-interference and all that.

Conclusion: it's possible to use Quest 2 wireless for high-end Steam games, but there's some obstacles or compromises in getting there, at least for this user. USB-cable performance is stable and consistent, so will likely stick with that, especially for fast-paced shooters. The trick is being somewhat aware of where the wire is so you're not tripping over it...been fine so far.
800 Mbps is not equal to 800Mb/s.

800Mb/s is a whopping 6.4Gbps. Most people don't have gear to handle that, most likely only 1Gbps or 2.5Gbps. Sure, you can get 10 gig cards, but you need cat6e runs and Wifi 6/7 compatible AP's

Especially crazy considering the Quest 2 will top out at 1.2Gbps based on its 2x2 mu mimo config.

Comedy start for FIFA 23 in my traditional derby first match. RS fans at Goodison with a “This Is Anfield” flag. ?‍♂️

Then Salah scored and ran over to celebrate with the family club.

(Don’t worry, we won with 2 for Maupay and one for Onana. Frank’s lost loads of weight and looks dead sporty, and Gordon still has a fake face and weetabix hair)

800 Mbps is not equal to 800Mb/s. 800Mb/s is a whopping 6.4Gbps.
It's the same thing. "p" or "/s" = per-second. Small "b" denotes "bits". Large "B" denotes Bytes (8 bits to a Byte). The factor-of-8 is going the other way: 800Mb/s (or Mbps) is around 100MB/s (or MBps).

Advertised internet speeds are famously given in "Megabits", as the number is 8 times greater than the commonly-understood "Megabytes", so sounds faster to layfolk.

Steam lets you see both download rates.

It's the same thing. "p" or "/s" = per-second. Small "b" denotes "bits". Large "B" denotes Bytes (8 bits to a Byte). The factor-of-8 is going the other way: 800Mb/s (or Mbps) is around 100MB/s (or MBps).

Advertised internet speeds are famously given in "Megabits", as the number is 8 times greater than the commonly-understood "Megabytes", so sounds faster to layfolk.

Steam lets you see both download rates.
Mate, Mb/s is Megabytes per second. Mbps is megabits per second.

Two vastly different things You seem to have the grasp, but my comment was directly aimed at"

"I'll have to take a closer look. 800Mb/s would be pretty amazing."

I wanted to be clear that my kids Quest 2 was not sitting on a 800Mb/s wireless connection to my PC

Oh man we arguing about megabites

popcorn-happy-jerry-seinfeld-fbm1gdss55ejyocf.gif

PSVR has a huge amount of interesting exclusives which gamer-aficionados rave about like Farpoint, Astrobot, Iron Man, Firewall Zero Hour, Wipeout Omega, The Inpatient, Deracine, How We Soar, Dreams, Blood & Truth and the pant-wetting Resident Evil 7 (tho' there's an unofficial VR mod for Steam versions now). Also Hitman 3 in VR.

There's the Playstation Gun Aim Controller for extra FPS immersion feels.

PSVR Headset has two versions: the first has more cables so is a pain in the arse to set up, but has slightly better clarity/contrast then V2. V2 is probably more recommended as there's only one main cable. You'll also need the camera, and Move/Navigation controllers (ones from PS3-era work too), tho' some games also accept Joypad.

These games sometimes struggled with framerates and textures on classic PS4, but perform well on my PS4 Pro, will be even better on a PS5.

Overall: better graphics, and deffo better exclusives, than the Quest 2.

But Quest 2 has four advantages over PSVR:

1) wireless (realistic boxing with Thrill Of The Fight would be impossible otherwise).

2) and PC-compatibility, including Steam. That's how i'm playing the Half-Life 2 VR mod, via 5m long USB-cable. Wireless-to-PC is also possible but my framerates always suffer.

3) better hardware resolution: noticeable when playing high-end PC VR games like Half-Life: Alyx or Lone Echo. With cable then. Also less 'Screen-Door Effect' when looking at solid bright background colours, like a sky or wall.

4) controllers included, no other hardware necessary unless you wanna link to PC.

bonus) despite PSVR having much more interesting exclusives...Quest 2 has arguably the single greatest one of all: Resident Evil 4...the complete original game in VR...and wireless!

Alternative: wait for the improved PSVR mark II. Not V2 of the PS4-version, but the brand new PS5-optimised Headset coming out early next year. Unfortunately, it won't be compatible with any of those fine exclusives I listed. Dumb move from Sony.

I'm a bit of a VR-nut. Curiousity means i've owned most of the mainstream ones. PSVR vs Quest 2 is a close call, for sure. I reckon it boils down to:

PSVR exclusives vs PC-gaming compatibility.

Thrill of the Fight is a proper slog, great workout

@Terrarian how is the Minecraft world going?
I’ve taken a break from playing just cos I don’t have inspiration for a build but still enjoy following it on YouTube.
Driving me mad mate. I am learning new things all the time and so keep starting again to try and incorporate into a new game the things I've picked up. I am going to try and stick with this world I've just started.

I have rage quit a few times as well and deleted worlds in a huff, one where I lost 20 diamonds. I have just been to the nether for the first time in the last world I was in. I have yet to come across a woodland mansion and only just had a mushroom island for the first time. For a simple looking game it's so complex.

I've been trying to play other stuff as well as I have hammered it recently but it's so addictive. Looking forward to 1.20 and wonder what new stuff will come out.

Driving me mad mate. I am learning new things all the time and so keep starting again to try and incorporate into a new game the things I've picked up. I am going to try and stick with this world I've just started.

I have rage quit a few times as well and deleted worlds in a huff, one where I lost 20 diamonds. I have just been to the nether for the first time in the last world I was in. I have yet to come across a woodland mansion and only just had a mushroom island for the first time. For a simple looking game it's so complex.

I've been trying to play other stuff as well as I have hammered it recently but it's so addictive. Looking forward to 1.20 and wonder what new stuff will come out.
I don’t know how you have the patience to start again.. I’ve lost my rag and wanted to but making up for what I lost is always quicker than starting a new one..

Ok I’ll own up.. I keep a back up saved game if I do something or gain resources I want to protect. This was necessary cos of load shedding here in Botswana that corrupted games I was playing and I lost everything .. then I realised it’s a useful tool to protect what I have achieved..

Man I know the rage!! Died in the end lost all my gear! Dying in lava in the nether.. lost all my gear.. dying to the wither.. got my gear back that time! ?

I watched a YouTube series by a guy called pixlriffs.. guide to survival.. helped me loads!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back