Computer games.

Very annoying, just dunno how long to wait.. I'm using a laptop atm and it just gets too hot on certain games and have massive frame drops
If you have the money and want it then you’ll only torture yourself waiting longer. I don’t think recent global events have helped, but Nvidia are still selling the 30 series at high prices because they’ve got far too much stock left after banking on crypto. It’s also why the 40 series is stupidly priced. They want people to buy their older stock first.

I can’t see prices going down too much for a while. AMD GPUs might offer better value, but by all accounts they aren’t as good and games can suffer slightly as a result. That’s not my experience, only what I’ve read.

Most anticipated update to one of the GOAT PC games of modern times is coming out in a few days.

@Baines' left foot if you’ve ever thought about checking it out now is time to do so, wipe is coming with this update so everyone gets reset to zero and starts on even footing

I’ve often considered Tarkov, but with my hearing conditions I haven’t got the confidence to wear headphones, and a lot of people say you really need them. I use Voicemeeter to limit the volume through my speakers and it’s fine, so I suppose the same logic could apply with headphones.

I can’t see prices going down too much for a while. AMD GPUs might offer better value, but by all accounts they aren’t as good and games can suffer slightly as a result. That’s not my experience, only what I’ve read.
But by what measure...... Is it super geek level with nerds measuring stuff in minute detail?

Would a casual gamer sitting on two machines side by side with similar spec playing the same game notice the difference? (I'd say not a chance.)

It reminds me of the explosion in popularity in Digital SLRs, and the heavyweight fanboy battle between Canon and Nikon. They'd do what was to become known as "pixel peep" on studio grade monitors and argue the merits of a sensors performance for similarly targeted models within the respective range on offer.

Absolute biffs.

Anyone give me some advice as I have no idea on this stuff. I want to buy a new laptop that will allow me to play games like the new Age of Empires, Footy Manager and The Sims etc. What do I need to have for these type of games to run smoothly without having to break the bank. Cheers in advance to anyone who can help.

AMD GPUs might offer better value, but by all accounts they aren’t as good and games can suffer slightly as a result. That’s not my experience, only what I’ve read.
Nah. The only metric where there is a real gain is Ray tracing. Which honestly isn't with the frame hits you take to enable it. If you are a streamer, then Nvidia's NVENC encoder is better than AMD's, but it isn't by much, and with the AV1 codec gaining better adoption, that gap will be negligible at best for Nvidia.

If you bother to watch the actual videos comparing dlss to fsr, you have to be actively looking for the differences to see them...... In actual gameplay, en you are focused on playing the game, the are imperceptible.

AMD is by far the best bang for buck option (though still far overpriced imo). Nvidia still retain the absolute performance crown with the 4090, but it isn't by much and it's with an absurd price premium. Plus AMD unlock performance with drivers over time and continue to support their GPU's for much longer than Nvidia do.

Do the right thing, buy AMD this gen and send Nvidia a message forcing them to lower prices (and that's already underway with 4080's still sitting on shelves unsold since release all over the world).

Don't get me wrong though, AMD isn't our friend..... They are still charging $1000USD for the gpu class that would have cost $600 4 years ago. They are out to make a profit, just like Nvidia.

But by what measure...... Is it super geek level with nerds measuring stuff in minute detail?

Would a casual gamer sitting on two machines side by side with similar spec playing the same game notice the difference? (I'd say not a chance.)

It reminds me of the explosion in popularity in Digital SLRs, and the heavyweight fanboy battle between Canon and Nikon. They'd do what was to become known as "pixel peep" on studio grade monitors and argue the merits of a sensors performance for similarly targeted models within the respective range on offer.

Absolute biffs.
Nah. The only metric where there is a real gain is Ray tracing. Which honestly isn't with the frame hits you take to enable it. If you are a streamer, then Nvidia's NVENC encoder is better than AMD's, but it isn't by much, and with the AV1 codec gaining better adoption, that gap will be negligible at best for Nvidia.

If you bother to watch the actual videos comparing dlss to fsr, you have to be actively looking for the differences to see them...... In actual gameplay, en you are focused on playing the game, the are imperceptible.

AMD is by far the best bang for buck option (though still far overpriced imo). Nvidia still retain the absolute performance crown with the 4090, but it isn't by much and it's with an absurd price premium. Plus AMD unlock performance with drivers over time and continue to support their GPU's for much longer than Nvidia do.

Do the right thing, buy AMD this gen and send Nvidia a message forcing them to lower prices (and that's already underway with 4080's still sitting on shelves unsold since release all over the world).

Don't get me wrong though, AMD isn't our friend..... They are still charging $1000USD for the gpu class that would have cost $600 4 years ago. They are out to make a profit, just like Nvidia.
Linus Tech Tips (LTT) often have this debate, with their reviews of recent AMD and nVidia GPUs.

If you have the money and want it then you’ll only torture yourself waiting longer. I don’t think recent global events have helped, but Nvidia are still selling the 30 series at high prices because they’ve got far too much stock left after banking on crypto. It’s also why the 40 series is stupidly priced. They want people to buy their older stock first.

Thoughts

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back