Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeing Kenny and Holgate, actual defenders, and then him saddens the deepest recesses of my soul

Yes, he can attack now and then, but he's primarily a defender

Call me old fashioned if you will, but I think a defender should be able to defend. Bit of a quirk of mine I will concede

Kenny - Holgate - Keane - Baines - that should be the starting back 4 going forward, instantly allows us to play 10/15 yards further up the field, Drop Rooney and Klassen and let Sigurdsson be the focal point which is why we spent 45m on him for surely, get Davies into that starting 11 every single game, keep DCL up top and play a second striker - be that Sandro, Niasse, Lookman or any combination of them up along with him.

Instantly transforms how deep we play and how much pace we have in the team as well.

Kenny - Holgate - Keane - Baines - that should be the starting back 4 going forward, instantly allows us to play 10/15 yards further up the field, Drop Rooney and Klassen and let Sigurdsson be the focal point which is why we spent 45m on him for surely, get Davies into that starting 11 every single game, keep DCL up top and play a second striker - be that Sandro, Niasse, Lookman or any combination of them up along with him.

Instantly transforms how deep we play and how much pace we have in the team as well.

yep, i picked that as our hopeful back 4 for bournemouth, without realising keane was injured. I thought martina was good yesterday, bar his crossing. I'd like to hope we wouldn't have bought him if coleman wasn't injured, but kenny just looks the real deal. I hope he gets a start on thursday and then hopefully stake his claim for a start next weekend.

I thought we'd be fine with jagielka and williams rotating alongside keane for the season but both look utterly shot ... then again, we have been playing 5 at the back a lot this season so far, that needs to be jibbed in, because we can never have both in the same central defence. Jags' injury was a blessing in disguise for us yesterday.

But having 3 centre backs injured at once is just pure bad luck.

I'd like sandro and rooney up top with suggrdsson in behind tbh. Then a 3 of schneiderlin, gueye and davies behind them. I know that's a bit narrow, but we bought so many narrow players. We have pacey options as wingers, but none of them can be trusted to start just yet.

I must blink hard or something whenever he puts these so called good crosses in.

Just getting it into the 18 yard box under no pressure doesn't make it a good cross, lads.
Exactly it's all about end product this guy offers nothing Sunday league players i come up against can deliver a better cross

Bournemouth never sorted out that our right wing back, season able to cross at will. I said on the match thread yesterday Coleman and Baines of a few years ago would have had a field day.

The fact the lad was getting so much space and able to cross every time shows how poor he was. If Coleman was fit we'd of had an easy game yesterday . Sorry but I think we made a mistake, signing this lad.

yep, i picked that as our hopeful back 4 for bournemouth, without realising keane was injured. I thought martina was good yesterday, bar his crossing. I'd like to hope we wouldn't have bought him if coleman wasn't injured, but kenny just looks the real deal. I hope he gets a start on thursday and then hopefully stake his claim for a start next weekend.

I thought we'd be fine with jagielka and williams rotating alongside keane for the season but both look utterly shot ... then again, we have been playing 5 at the back a lot this season so far, that needs to be jibbed in, because we can never have both in the same central defence. Jags' injury was a blessing in disguise for us yesterday.

But having 3 centre backs injured at once is just pure bad luck.

I'd like sandro and rooney up top with suggrdsson in behind tbh. Then a 3 of schneiderlin, gueye and davies behind them. I know that's a bit narrow, but we bought so many narrow players. We have pacey options as wingers, but none of them can be trusted to start just yet.

in terms of depth - besides striker obviously, then cb is the major area we are weak at, obviously we are playing five at the back because Koeman doesn't trust anyone in a 4 alongside keane, so a case of thinking three adds more security when in reality it's just sticking two weak players into the squad at the expense of other players further forward.

Koeman needs to give his head a rattle, or more likely someone in the coaching staff needs to have a serious word with him, he wants to play a high line pressing from the front, yet persists with playing a slow as molasses cb in williams or jags (or both at times) which ensures we have to sit very deep (by design or by the player just naturally dropping deeper and deeper), another example was yesterday, look at their goal and look at Williams in it, as King is going across holgate, williams is tracking a runner but rather than staying close to him, gives the bloke 5 yards by dropping further and further back as he's going across, stuff like that is what starts opening space up and contributes to the goal in effect.

Saw it again the other day against United when he just dropped off 5-10 yards for i think their first goal. just wrecked any shape or system.

Martina in many ways he doesn't do anything bad then we think of it as a decent game now, that alone should tell us he's not good enough, should be expecting a hell of a lot more than not cocking up as a decent game really, Kenny did more by a mile in 15 minutes than i have seen Martina do this season defensively and his willingness to go forward and make defenders have to think about him - even when not involved (see the first goal when he's stretching their back line and it helps create space by getting himself on the overlap, Martina seems a player who if he's involved yeah fine, but when he isn't he is basically standing around watching the game rather than doing the unselfish work as well

Just gut instinct so far on seeing the team a few times with those in it mate, but i don't think those 3 can play together, both Rooney and Sandro just naturally drop deep looking for the ball - no bad thing but that needs someone up top who can lead the line as well otherwise it becomes a utter mess, you spend 45m on a number 10, then IMO anyway you play him as a number 10

If that means a change in shape or whatever then do it, 4 at the back, Sigurdsson in the number 10 role, get Davies in that team and the rest you pick to compliment those players and get the best out of them, right now we are playing people in this team based on reputation or by looking at them individually rather than putting the core of the team in and building a team around those 3-4 players.

As for Kenny, loved the lad since seeing him playing in the Under 17's Euros, him and Roberts looked by a mile the stand-out players in that tournament, and he did again this summer, two international tournament successes, captaining the under 23's to the league, not put a foot wrong whenever he's had a go in the team, if he doesn't get the games now he never honestly will do, hopefully he does like and when Coleman returns we have someone who can spell him and who can provide cover and a challenge for Baines the other side (as he's played their before)

He was poor yesterday.
Didn't do much, if anything, wrong defensively, but his delivery going forward was Hibberteseque and never really troubled their defence.

Surely he must have something on Koeman.

No one can be this much of a liability and keep getting a game.

He makes Ashley Williams look good and that's really quite hard to do

Cuco gets dropped after the Spurs game

Rumours of Koeman caught with a brass surface.

Cuco is recalled.

Rumours stop.

Make of that what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back