Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most alarming thing about Martina in my eyes is that countless times whenever Spurs had the ball in a dangerous area he was running away and or had his back turned on the play!

Surely the most basic of defenders know you don't turn your back on the ball!!

Definitely not helped on by the fact we had 0 players in front of him so the Spurs LB+winger could do whatever they wanted.

Not a great player, but should, theoretically, do a decent enough job for now as backup... not like that though.

Gross negligence from Koeman really. That said the RS are having to play a kid at right back because they have no cover, and Newcastle currently playing without a left back, so he's not the only guilty party. I suppose he did at least get a right back in, albeit a terrible one. I would rather we played one of our DMs at right back, at least they might tackle and stay in position, then a more forward thinking player could occupy the right wing space.

Looks a decent attacking thread but playing him fullback against one of the best teams in the league was madness. His defending is almost laughable. Koeman has nothing to lose in playing Kenny and I don't understand why he hasn't had a sniff. If Kenny doesn't get a sniff against Sunderland at least then he might as well back his bags now.

Even all these shouts saying he's decent going forward and can whip a decent ball in, without a big target man like striker in the box it doesn't matter if he crosses it like beckham, his main job is to defend, something he is totally incapable of doing

In all honesty he's the whipping boy because he couldn't get in Southamptons team and was free.

In reality, he's been nowhere near our worst player this season. He's actually probably been better than Schneiderlain, Davies, Williams, Klaasan, Mirallas, Sandro and others.
This isn't a ringing endorsement of him mind.

If he was used as a last gasp replacement if both Kenny and Holgate are out for whatever reason (Which is what a lot of people assured us he would be), then I'd honestly not be that bothered because he wouldn't have to play that much and he'd be okay with waiting it out for a game. How many experienced right backs would be okay with being bench warmers like that? Not many, so fair enough if that's what he was signed for

My issue is, and always has been, that I've feared Koeman would use him in the first team set up at the expense of the two previously mentioned players. Thus far I've yet to see evidence of the contrary I'm afraid, despite again a lot of people assuring us again that both Kenny and Holgate would get their chances

Not his fault like, was he supposed to turn down guaranteed money for a Premier League side? But it's been a definite bone of contention for me regards to Koeman

He's the "whipping boy" because of what he's standing in front of, not because of his actual ability. He is for me at least

Definitely not helped on by the fact we had 0 players in front of him so the Spurs LB+winger could do whatever they wanted.

Not a great player, but should, theoretically, do a decent enough job for now as backup... not like that though.

I agree he had no cover in front of him. Klassen / sigurdson - not sure which one was playing right side

I am afraid RK's stubbornness will mean more starts for Cuco the Clown.

It's not so much stubbornness that's the issue here

Dropping Martina would be an admission that he got things wrong, which considering his backs against the wall a bit right now is something he's highly unlikely to want to do

I see Koeman persisting with Martina until we (hopefully) pick up some points against Burnley and Bournemouth, at which point he'll be able to drop him with less reputational damage

I also think he probably doesn't want to hang his mate out to dry either, the same way Martinez didn't want to just drop Alcaraz or Howard. He'll want to give him a chance to "play his way" out of this

It's not so much stubbornness that's the issue here

Dropping Martina would be an admission that he got things wrong, which considering his backs against the wall a bit right now is something he's highly unlikely to want to do

I see Koeman persisting with Martina until we (hopefully) pick up some points against Burnley and Bournemouth, at which point he'll be able to drop him with less reputational damage

I also think he probably doesn't want to hang his mate out to dry either, the same way Martinez didn't want to just drop Alcaraz or Howard. He'll want to give him a chance to "play his way" out of this

Don't think so mate, I suspect we'll see Holgate at RB/RWB against united. The safer move as Holgate is very assured when defending but also frustrating as he offers little going forward.

Would like to see Kenny personally but doubt it, at least in the league anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back