Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah fine, I agree. But that's more to do with he is seemingly a better all round player more than the fact that he "cant cross".
When you see his crossing close up though, they lack power and are often just loopy spooned balls to the keeper, he also doesn't seem capable of hitting them on the run, he's usually virtually static.

He needs to go in the skip basically. Kenny and Holgate should fight for the place until Seamus is back.

No i just don't see the point on jumping on a flaw in his game that is not true when he has stuff that can easily be jumped on.

His defending is awful. That's enough to have a go at him. His crossing is perfectly fine.

I put this nonsense in the same bracket as Gueye cant pass a ball etc. Silly stuff that gains traction because it gets said enough times.

There is no intelligent thought put into any of his crosses, he doesn't even look up, he just tosses it in onto the head of a defender. We've been so used to awful crosses that we think just by the ball entering the box at head height, it must be a brilliant cross. Kenny came on and put two crosses in on Saturday, and they both found Calvert-Lewin, who you said hasn't been getting into the positions to receive crosses. Baines also put one on his head from the other side in the first half that he should have done better from. Funny how it's only when Martina crosses that DCL isn't in the correct position isn't it?

When you see his crossing close up though, they lack power and are often just loopy spooned balls to the keeper, he also doesn't seem capable of hitting them on the run, he's usually virtually static.

He needs to go in the skip basically. Kenny and Holgate should fight for the place until Seamus is back.

When you have nobody in the box attacking the cross, they will usually end up with the goalkeeper.

There is no intelligent thought put into any of his crosses, he doesn't even look up, he just tosses it in onto the head of a defender. We've been so used to awful crosses that we think just by the ball entering the box at head height, it must be a brilliant cross. Kenny came on and put two crosses in on Saturday, and they both found Calvert-Lewin, who you said hasn't been getting into the positions to receive crosses. Baines also put one on his head from the other side in the first half that he should have done better from. Funny how it's only when Martina crosses that DCL isn't in the correct position isn't it?

Come now mikeh, his crossing really isn't that bad

It's probably the only thing he does that isn't atrocious, at least let him have something

I wouldn't say it's utter garbage, I think it's generally pretty good

However, it isn't good enough to make up for him being an horrific defender

If I could use an analogy, it's like how when you're doing a degree at University and the dissertation is weighted

You can do a couple of good essays, but if you tank your dissertation then you can kiss a 2:1 or 1st goodbye

However, if you do a couple of bad essays but nail your dissertation, you could still end up getting a decent degree

To me, when you're a defender your defensive performances are your dissertation, so you need to get them right above anything else

Crosses into the box are stand alone essays, which you might get a good score on, but if you can't defend then you ultimately fail overall

This is the issue with Martina

He's got a couple of good essays under his belt but his dissertation is one of the very worst I've ever seen at Everton University
For comparison in this game Baines created 2 chances from crosses in about half the attempts and although I didn't look at Kenny he created that chance for DCL near the end. And he's terrible at the back like you said.

For comparison in this game Baines created 2 chances from crosses in about half the attempts and although I didn't look at Kenny he created that chance for DCL near the end. And he's terrible at the back like you said.

I honestly think his crossing is alright to be honest

Not amazing, but it's competent

He could be a passable winger I think, but sadly he's not playing as a winger for us

Plenty of areas you could justly bash him on, but that's not one of them IMO

I think tonight proved my point really.

Never any options, no movement, nothing.

And the one chance we did get from a cross was fluffed....

When is he going to learn to mark his man? He constantly seems to mark fresh air, for the goal today was woefully out of position for the long ball, then ended up as a third centre half marking nobody, absolutely useless.
Burnley players happy to stand off him as his crosses were useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back