Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be making out that if anyone thought Martina had a good game yesterday they "didn't watch the game". He was excellent yesterday and those of you who continuously slate him even when he plays well are just highlighting that you can't get past your dislike for a player to give them some credit when they have a good game.

There seems to be a mentality on here where certain players are concerned, where it's the popular thing to have a go at certain players every game. Don't understand it. I love how some are mentioning how uncomfortable he looks using his wrong foot as well. How many games have we played Baines at Right Back? I've seen Jagielka and Wiliams, both played on the left side of the centre half pairing in games this season with a complete inability to be able to keep the ball in play whilst using their wrong foot. There are a lot of Professional Footballers who quite simply struggle in that regard and Martina is at a far bigger disadvantage playing at left back than those 2 are as a left sided centre back.

If Martina was genuinely as bad as you and others are making out, why has he got the 5th most votes in the MOTM poll? The order is Pickford, Schneiderlin, Jagielka, Keane and then Martina. So clearly a fair few other people saw him do well yesterday. Our defence was up against some of the best attacking talent in the league with one of the best in the World in my opinion in Hazard and yet they couldn't find a way past us. Martina played a big part in that and stopped them numerous times down that side, especially in the 2nd half.

Spot on. He won quite a few tackles with his wrong foot yesterday because it's obvious he is right footed and played out of position. Personally would rather him there than Baines. Baines very rarely stops crosses and cannot head the ball. Baines stands off the player inviting crosses. Baines has had his day and needs retiring. Martina is still not the left back answer but as you say the hatred clouds realism as it does with schnides who had a great game yesterday but was slaughtered on twitter by his haters.

I think Williams is the weaker link than Cuco in our back four. I felt both goals conceded were avoidable. For example, Williams could have shown Salah on to his weaker right foot prior to the shot and he lost his marking during the corner kick at Swansea.

Cannot stand the utter clowns in our match going fanbase who slate him constantly and give him disgusting abuse.

He doesn't choose the team, he doesn't choose to play out of position, and he certainly doesn't choose to not be good enough.

It's Koeman's fault for signing him and injuries that result in him getting so much time on the pitch. He doesn't deserve the abuse at all.

Cannot stand the utter clowns in our match going fanbase who slate him constantly and give him disgusting abuse.

He doesn't choose the team, he doesn't choose to play out of position, and he certainly doesn't choose to not be good enough.

It's Koeman's fault for signing him and injuries that result in him getting so much time on the pitch. He doesn't deserve the abuse at all.
You're right, but fans stating he is absolutely diabolical are fully entitled to do so. So get off your high horse.

You're right, but fans stating he is absolutely diabolical are fully entitled to do so. So get off your high horse.

What high horse would that be... Not screaming at our own players and calling them 'F'n c***s' during the match ? Because that's what I heard yesterday.

If that means I'm on a 'high horse' then nah, I won't be getting off it.

lollollollollollollol

You've made it your life's work to slate DCL and yet you cut this lad slack. The mind genuinely boggles.

Neither should be in the team (and hopefully neither will come January). Difference is, DCL is called ‘the new Lewandowski’ (your words I think) while Martina is given dogs abuse.
The truth is at this present moment, neither are first team quality.

P.S I don’t spend my entire life slagging off DCL. I have toilet breaks.

Last edited:
What high horse would that be... Not screaming at our own players and calling them 'F'n c***s' during the match ? Because that's what I heard yesterday.

If that means I'm on a 'high horse' then nah, I won't be getting off it.
If they're doing that then I apologise, because that's clearly not on. Like you said, he doesn't choose himself.

But here and elsewhere where he isn't present, it's absolutely fine to call him out for being useless.

Some footballers have been so lucky to forge a career in the top division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back