Current squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually going to do a topic on this. It's scary when you do a list of players and work out:

Which players are good enough.
Which players care enough.

You'll very quickly see overlaps happening. We currently have a squad where many aren't good enough, they may care, but they simply aren't good enough. But then worryingly, you'll see quite a few names who simply don't care.

That's our biggest issue. Players who aren't good enough can still do a job (in the short term) but if they don't care...it doesn't matter how much talent they have, they simply don't care about Everton.

Look at Liverpool, that squad would run through a brick wall for the club. It shows. Would our players?

Keane is so mentally weak has to go, Delph, iwobi, rondon, gbammin, Tosin, Davies enough said. Sad sad state of affairs.

Gomes needs to go too but start with that lot
I don't disagree, but it's easier said than done. No one is buying Delph at 31 years old or Rondon at 32 so they'll see out their deals, no one is going to give Everton any reasonable return on the £35m wasted on Iwoeful, Gbamin hasn't kicked a ball for 2 years so who would realistically take a chance on him let alone for anything close to the £25m paid. Tosun might go in January or maybe in the summer, if he's not in the final year of his deal already. A think a few clubs at the bottom end of the Prem would be interested in Davies for a few mil (whether or not he'd want to go is another question). Keane I think might have a few options (return to Burnley? Upgrade on what Newcastle have?) but again whether he'd want to go and how much money EFC get back on his is another matter. And then there's Gomes, a £20-25m purchase who has been mostly a bench player for both Rafael and Carlo. Technical ability is decent, but again, who is falling over themselves to sign him?

Look at Liverpool, that squad would run through a brick wall for the club. It shows. Would our players?
A very good point, but that says as much about Klopp as it does about anything else. Somehow he's able to get every player to do that, and it be their default mentality, and they seem to love to do it. Never in a million years could Silva or Koeman or Ancelotti get that out of this lot.

The scariest thing about this current squad, is that we've got rid of an absolute load of rubbish players over the last few years and we are still terrible. It's a wonder when we'll ever get to a position where we have a squad full of quality, if we ever even get to that stage.

Pickford: Top keeper, has to stay long term

Digne: Attacking left back, needs to adapt to Benitez' defensive tactics

Godfrey: Potential star, has to improve positioning with coaching, experience and a partner at the back.

Mina: One of the best centre backs in the league. We need to extend his contract

Doucoure: Machine

Allan: Wealth of experience who should be in the squad until hes 34

Gray/Richarlison/DCL: Excitement, mentality strong

Townsend: Experienced rotation option

Gordon/Onyango/etc: Lets see how they do

Its a solid base to build on but the key is getting contracts extended and building a new squad around our core players.

You look at how a team that we should be trying to emulate like Leicester have operated, with building players up then selling them on for big profit and still being successful - Maguire/ Kante/Mahrez/ Chilwell etc and then replacing them with very good players and repeating the cycle...and you look at our current squad and what strikes me is:

. How many players in our squad could we conceivably make a big profit on? Richarlison, DCL, Grey, Pickford maybe?
. Those 3 or four players are huge for us right now so once those players do get sold - who on earth would think that we have the nous to replace them with the right characters and quality to improve us....
. If we did get those big transfers wrong moving forward then you'd dread to think where we could be in three years - there is only so long we can constantly fail in the transfer market.

If that athletic article is true, and there's no doubt it sounds like its spot on. The fact that Moshiri/brands/kenwright/manager/god knows who else are all sticking their oar in around transfers needs to be addressed urgently.

If you have a director of football in place then it needs to be his job to put those transfer plans in place, if Brands then isn't doing his job properly then sack him and get someone in who can.

Digne: Attacking left back, needs to adapt to Benitez' defensive tactics

Godfrey: Potential star, has to improve positioning with coaching, experience and a partner at the back.

Mina: One of the best centre backs in the league. We need to extend his contract

Doucoure: Machine

Allan: Wealth of experience who should be in the squad until hes 34

Gray/Richarlison/DCL: Excitement, mentality strong

Townsend: Experienced rotation option

Gordon/Onyango/etc: Lets see how they do

Its a solid base to build on but the key is getting contracts extended and building a new squad around our core players.

Interesting views.

When you say digne has to adapt to the managers defensive tactics do you mean he just has to learn to defend?

And Godfrey. So basically he has to be a hell of a lot better with a player alongside him who will bail him out?

Mina one of the best in this league. Is that an Everton forum view?

Townsend right now isnt a rotation. He's been dragging the team along for the majority of this short season so far.

More interested in the defenders opinions though.
I'd happily get rid of them all.
None of them are good enough imo. Every single one of them make me nervous.

Interesting views.

When you say digne has to adapt to the managers defensive tactics do you mean he just has to learn to defend?

And Godfrey. So basically he has to be a hell of a lot better with a player alongside him who will bail him out?

Mina one of the best in this league. Is that an Everton forum view?

Townsend right now isnt a rotation. He's been dragging the team along for the majority of this short season so far.

More interested in the defenders opinions though.
I'd happily get rid of them all.
None of them are good enough imo. Every single one of them make me nervous.
To think beginning of last season we were all bigging up the defence, with the choice of Keane, Mina, the new signing in Godfrey, Holgate coming back from injury and tge the young Broard

I can think of many words I'd used to describe Pickford but I'm not sure 'top keeper' would be on the list. Top keepers save you 10-12 points a season, Pickford always looks like he's got a mistake in him and has made too many errors to count. Capable of making superb saves for sure, but then, how many Prem goalkeepers aren't?! And as for his "distribution": Allison has distribution, Ederson pings 70-yard assists every few weeks, meanwhile England's No1 is guaranteed to hit some old woman in Row F multiple times a game when he inevitably over hits a pass to whoever is wide on the halfway line because he's pumped up like Joe Hart. Can definitely think of a number of goalkeepers I'd rather see between the sticks than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.