Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no - most teams at least gave it a go. Most lost vs United (I went back a bit, but cba checking every single team mate, sorry. At least not now), but the mighty Blackburn beat them at home by having an actual go, for example, in a season they had no chance of survival and finished 19th. It's not impossible, but, despite having actual ambitions, we were plenty happy to just sit back and try f*** all all game and wait to get beat, literally a knife to a gunfight. Even in the FA Cup Final, after scoring he quickest finals goal and having them a bit rattled - we were happy to sit back and do nothing instead of trying to attack again.

Moyes is great for a team which will be happy with mediocrity, but will never achieve anything big, even if he was magically put at the helm of Real Madrid.
Nah, most teams didn't give it a go. Every now and then a team got lucky, but pretty much every team was hoping for a draw at best. I remember discussing this before, I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like the top 4 only lost 3 home games between them in 5 years against non-top 4 teams. That's something like 300 games between them with only 3 defeats. Teams that did "have a go" pretty much always lost.

We were consistently 5th or 6th during those years, so definitely should have expected better results, and were better equipped to have "more of a go" than the rest, but if the chances of winning were 1 in a hundred, playing for a draw was actually sensible (although disappointing and boring)

I can’t stand Moyes.

But he’s signed some hungry Championship players and they are doing the biz.

We signed Godfrey and he’s doing the biz.

A lot to be said for signing players who want it.
Our most consistent ‘good’ period in the premier league era was under Moyes because he signed the right players with the right mentality.

Every manager since has signed mercenaries who don’t care about Everton or even a long term plan, they care about either a pay day or a stepping stone to the elite teams.

When Carlo started talking about how he was only interested in signing players who said yes to the project in the first conversation I knew we were going to start building something good again. The big difference here is that Carlo doesn’t talk about bringing knives to gunfights and have an inferiority complex like Moyes so we could actually win something in the coming seasons!

People still hating moyes.
Come back to me in May and lets see where they are mate il hazard a guess between 8-10th

Admittedly they are doing very well at the minute
Just so you know finishing 8th with West Ham would make him the 7th best-ever finish in their history. Not really a shocking manager.
Moyes is a very competent manager. Had a limited squad here and comparitively low squad salary.
We currently have the 3rd most expensive manager in the league, top ten most expensive manager in world. An expensively assembled squad.
Now Im not complaining here but we are not playing any better football or performing any better in the league than we have under Moyes.

How long before our fans are berating us for letting Lingard go to West Ham?
Lingard might just be a good fit there. Moyes does pretty well w/ players who aren't exactly forwards but not exactly midfielders. Antonio can play bull in the china shop, soak up all the physicality and feed him.

If he becomes one of their best goal scorers he'll have freedom to roam at WH. At everton, Lingard is on the flank, cutting inside and perhaps getting in everyone's way.

People still hating moyes.

Just so you know finishing 8th with West Ham would make him the 7th best-ever finish in their history. Not really a shocking manager.
Moyes is a very competent manager. Had a limited squad here and comparitively low squad salary.
We currently have the 3rd most expensive manager in the league, top ten most expensive manager in world. An expensively assembled squad.
Now Im not complaining here but we are not playing any better football or performing any better in the league than we have under Moyes.
11 years at Everton finished 4th once won nothing
At untied after them wining the league, was beaten 15 times with the current champions 8/9 months later got the bullet
Went to Real Sociedad got the bullet after a year
Goes to Sunderland gets them relegated, another bullet fired his way
Goes to West ham (first time) in the relegation zone keeps them up by the skin of their teeth
Currently doing well at West ham again (lets see where they finish)

Almost 20 years in management and won sweet FA, I stick by my original comment and put him in the same bracket as Allardyce, Pulis, Mark Hughes etc....

Nah, most teams didn't give it a go. Every now and then a team got lucky, but pretty much every team was hoping for a draw at best. I remember discussing this before, I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like the top 4 only lost 3 home games between them in 5 years against non-top 4 teams. That's something like 300 games between them with only 3 defeats. Teams that did "have a go" pretty much always lost.

We were consistently 5th or 6th during those years, so definitely should have expected better results, and were better equipped to have "more of a go" than the rest, but if the chances of winning were 1 in a hundred, playing for a draw was actually sensible (although disappointing and boring)
2007-08, arguably our best side since the turn of the century, the "sky 4" had 15L combined. To put that in perspective, out of 38 match days, there was less than a 50% chance that any of those 4 teams lost (and it was usually to each other). There was almost zero chance a club outside of 8th place helping you. The Sotons, Wolves, and Brightons were not scalping anyone back then. I remember the Villa team that finished behind us was pretty damn good (Carew/Gabby/Barry/Young) and finished 16pts off 4th.

This year the top 4 already has 16Ls.

In 2013-14 w/ 72 pts. the top 3 had a staggering +160 in GD (Arse 4th at a meager 79pts and +27). We just always seem to pick the wrong time to be good.

2007-08, arguably our best side since the turn of the century, the "sky 4" had 15L combined. To put that in perspective, out of 38 match days, there was less than a 50% chance that any of those 4 teams lost (and it was usually to each other). There was almost zero chance a club outside of 8th place helping you. The Sotons, Wolves, and Brightons were not scalping anyone back then. I remember the Villa team that finished behind us was pretty damn good (Carew/Gabby/Barry/Young) and finished 16pts off 4th.

This year the top 4 already has 16Ls.

In 2013-14 w/ 72 pts. the top 3 had a staggering +160 in GD (Arse 4th at a meager 79pts and +27). We just always seem to pick the wrong time to be good.
Even the year we came 4th, the "top 4" lost a total of 5 games at home. 4 of those were against other "top 4" teams.

So out of 64 home games against against non "top 4" sides, they lost 1 game between them.

It was the same story about 6 or 7 years in a row, yet people somehow expect Moyes to be winning those games.

11 years at Everton finished 4th once won nothing
At untied after them wining the league, was beaten 15 times with the current champions 8/9 months later got the bullet
Went to Real Sociedad got the bullet after a year
Goes to Sunderland gets them relegated, another bullet fired his way
Goes to West ham (first time) in the relegation zone keeps them up by the skin of their teeth
Currently doing well at West ham again (lets see where they finish)

Almost 20 years in management and won sweet FA, I stick by my original comment and put him in the same bracket as Allardyce, Pulis, Mark Hughes etc....

There is no doubt he had some major flaws. For me, it is the ambition to take that extra step, we were in a decent position to continue to improve but could not get over that line and the main reason is in the title of this thread. However, he gave us our respect back. It is fairly ironic that the reason why have loftier ambitions is because of Moyes and him getting out of the funk that would have led to us being relegated at some point.

He was made a bit of a scapegoat for the United tenure but that was a poisoned chalice, if there was any. They are still trying to get over not having Ferguson at the helm. I think that affected his confidence a little and the jobs after that have shown this. He is now back at a club where he can work the way he wants to on and off the pitch (although I doubt he will have exactly the same relaxed attitude of the owners, to periods of poor results, there as he did here).

My opinion, is that your post is a bit harsh, you are obviously welcome to think that and I can see your argument but the situation at some of those clubs was a factor. Nobody was keeping Sunderland up that season, he should never have got sacked at West Ham 1st time round and this season is proving that.

Reactions: JLW
The reason we couldn't take the extra step was the club was up to its eyeballs in debt. We couldn't give him a transfer budget, and he chose to stay with us despite this. Fair enough, he buggered off to Man Utd, but this suggests an abundance of ambition rather than a dearth of it.

It may feel like a long time ago now we have 10 pound notes in the toilet paper dispensers, but we didn't have a pot to piss in!

Moyes is looking like a good fit for a club like West Ham. Not suitable for a team with designs on winning trophies and playing in the champions league.

Reactions: JLW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back