Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't watch but totally unsurprised by these stats.

Classic Moyes, try to hang on but ultimately comes up short, again.

A serial loser.

View attachment 117328

You won't be shocked that, after United scored... in Extra time, they finally had their first shot on target.

Man Utd rested 4-5 players there (they eventually brought on Fernandes etc..), but if I was a West Ham fan, i'd be fuming at that result, especially on the back of them blowing a 95th minute lead against us at the weekend. Full strength against weakened Man Utd = 1 SOT in 2 hours of football.

but if I was a West Ham fan, i'd be fuming at that result, especially on the back of them blowing a 95th minute lead against us at the weekend. Full strength against weakened Man Utd = 1 SOT in 2 hours of football.

we’re not fuming with Moyes, we’re fuming at G$B

we have a threadbare squad that is running on fumes, not surprised we picked up injuries last night, our only senior striker is out injured

moyes is doing a superb job with one hand tied behind his back, yet another transfer window where we weakened the squad and made a profit

the issue isn’t Moyes, it’s his bosses....

we have a threadbare squad that is running on fumes, not surprised we picked up injuries last night, our only senior striker is out injured

moyes is doing a superb job with one hand tied behind his back, yet another transfer window where we weakened the squad and made a profit

So GSB told Moyes to be ultra negative yesterday did they? I think not.

There's a genuine chance for West Ham to win a cup, and against a weakened United side, sat back and went out.

Can say he's got limited funds, but he did at Everton.... doesn't mean you can't go to a big team and win.

So GSB told Moyes to be ultra negative yesterday did they? I think not

Did I say that? I think not....

We didn’t have a fit striker to play yesterday. I know you’ve got an axe to grind with the bloke but Moyes was left with little choice.

He’s doing a fine job for us this season and I’d say we are punching well above our weight currently, there’s no way we have got a top 6 squad!

I’m sure you know better than us though....

A lot of us thought the same of Moyes, money wise, when BK was in charge. ( This will cause a row on here). But I've always thought he was too cautious against the big boys, knife to a gunfight, thing, especially with the team he had at Everton towards the end.

Last edited:

So GSB told Moyes to be ultra negative yesterday did they? I think not.

There's a genuine chance for West Ham to win a cup, and against a weakened United side, sat back and went out.

Can say he's got limited funds, but he did at Everton.... doesn't mean you can't go to a big team and win.
Welcome to the Moyes world of managed expectations and mediocrity...hes got you sucked in already
Taking a jellied eel to the great white shark fight...or some such guff

Did I say that? I think not....

We didn’t have a fit striker to play yesterday. I know you’ve got an axe to grind with the bloke but Moyes was left with little choice.

He’s doing a fine job for us this season and I’d say we are punching well above our weight currently, there’s no way we have got a top 6 squad!

I’m sure you know better than us though....

Have a go, the fact is, you have done fine for the last 5-6 games without a striker, but Moyes bottled it against a big side away, as per usual.

There's no axe to grind, there's just stating the blatantly obvious, in that Moyes hasn't changed much. Did i contest the fact you're having a good season? No... Did i make a comment that Moyes will never, ever step up against a big side, as we saw with our own eyes for 12 years.... I'd like to think we're in a good place to comment on him as a manger, you'll realise soon enough.

A lot of us thought the same of Moyes, money wise, when BK was in charge. ( This will cause a row on here). But I've always thought he was too cautious against the big boys, knife to a gunfight, thing, especially with the team he had at Everton towards the end.

For sure, there is an element of him being too cautious at times and as you correctly point out, money was tight for a lot of the Kenright era. Looking at last night specifically, I have no qualms about him setting up like that as we didn’t have a fit senior striker.

He saw it wasn’t working at half time and changed our shape and we looked marginally better but the issue is with our backups. As soon as we lose a key player (eg. Antonio), we don’t have the adequate backups to stand in. That’s on the board who promised a replacement for Haller when they cashed in on him in January.

You might want to check your facts mate, Antonio played in those games....

Edit - just checked and yep he‘s started the last 6 league games!

Doesn't really make any difference to me mate, I've always treated him as a winger, playing centrally because you've never had the options. Haller was a flop, Carroll was a flop, Hernandez was a flop and so on. Not knocking Antonio, he's a cracking player, just not a centre forward, in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with being defensive over your team either, I'm always defensive over my own team, and considering you've had 2-3 bad years, being clear of danger and in a European place must be like a dream come true.

But mark my words, GSB being bad owners will only play into Moyes hands. You won't go down, you'll do enough to keep his head above water, go on some good runs, but you haven't won a trophy since 1980 - that will continue - amazing away days at Chelsea, Tottenham will disappear and mindsets will change from Delighted with a win to Delighted with a draw.

Take it from someone who was there home and away throughout his tenure. Knives to a gunfight. We had some good memories, but the best Everton team in my lifetime bottled big games on regular basis.

Just depends what you want from your team. Everton's motto is Nil Satis Nisi Optimum, and that's what I want, Moyes isn't that.

*GSB

Top 6 is a lot better than mediocrity for us! (I know we won’t finish top 6 come May)
It's all relative, it's the trying not to lose, which sometimes has its place in the league I dare say, but cups are knockout sudden death.
You dont get anything for a draw, you just get a chance to lose it on pennos.
You'll learn, see the recurring, bottle the big ones, pattern after a few more seasons.
Edit; Moyes doesnt do sudden death, knock out, must win. He does do get a goal against the run of play...or even deserved, but he'll sit back and try to hang on...about 1 time in 8ish he'll do it.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back