Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the bigger signings werent picked by the managers though. They were down to Sullivan and his agent pals playing real life Football Manager (Will Salthouse etc).

Cutting wages is one thing but Sullivan has asset stripped the squad now. We have one senior striker on our books who struggles to stay fit for a season.

We needed to bring in someone as backup in january, even if it was a loan.

apparently the next experiment is going to be Jesse Lingard playing the false 9 role, that’ll be a laugh!
What do you think of Lingard ? I was praying to God we wouldn't sign him and then he goes on to score twice on his debut ! So dont listen to me. :)

Lanzini and Benrahma (like Yarmolenko) aren’t strikers and I think it’s fair to say they are built very differently to Antonio!
Understandably you missed antonio pace, I personally dont think he would of done more than yarmelenko did , no support in attack, I'm only saying this because I'd seen that west ham performance so many times at old Trafford Anfield Stamford bridge and the Emirates, Middlesbrough have won more games than everton at those places with far inferior teams and in a lot of that time in the championship.

What do you think of Lingard ? I was praying to God we wouldn't sign him and then he goes on to score twice on his debut ! So dont listen to me. :)
I think he’s an underrated player and he’s more than good enough for us. Was really impressed with his debut. A decent signing for where we are as a club.

To be fair though, he wouldn’t get in your team would he!

Understandably you missed antonio pace, I personally dont think he would of done more than yarmelenko did , no support in attack, I'm only saying this because I'd seen that west ham performance so many times at old Trafford Anfield Stamford bridge and the Emirates, Middlesbrough have won more games than everton at those places with far inferior teams and in a lot of that time in the championship.

It’s not just the pace it’s the willingness to constantly make runs in the channels. It’s the barging his way through defences and making chances out of nothing (even if he does balloon it wide a fair bit!). I think it’s a different game if Antonio starts but then again if my auntie had bowlocks she’d be my uncle!

I agree with your second part though, Moyes’ record against the best in the division is really poor and that worries me.

Could Davey Moyes be on the way to another manager of the year award?

Some journos are starting to take notice...

David Moyes would deserve to beat Jose Mourinho this time and win Manager of the Year for what he's done at West Ham​

In 2005, Mourinho would have been justifiably unhappy at losing out to Moyes but, ahead of Sunday's meeting, this year Scot is well on top
MATT LAW
FOOTBALL NEWS CORRESPONDENT
19 February 2021 • 2:40pm

When David Moyes returned to West Ham United just over a year ago, he declared “that’s what I do, I win” and when it comes to Manager of the Year awards only Sir Alex Ferguson has won more.
Moyes has stuck to his promise on the pitch, as West Ham have the chance to pull nine points clear of London rivals Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

Premier League 2020/21 latest standings (top five)​

English Premier League​

TeamPPts
1Man City2456
2Man Utd2446
3Leicester2446
4Chelsea2442
5West Ham2442

But it is not just in the Premier League where Moyes has outperformed Spurs head coach Mourinho and were votes to be cast today, then the Scotsman would almost certainly win his fourth Manager of the Year award.

Mourinho, incredibly, has never won a Manager of the Year award and the Portuguese will no doubt remain mystified as to how he didn’t claim the prize in 2005, when Moyes won the second of his three awards so far - two fewer than Ferguson.

Moyes enjoyed a brilliant season with Everton, steering the Goodison Park club to fourth place and Champions League qualification, while Mourinho’s Chelsea team lost only one game on the way to winning the Premier League title, with 95 points - 34 points ahead of the Toffees. Mourinho also lifted the League Cup and reached the semi-finals of the Champions League with Chelsea in the same campaign.

The decision to make Moyes Manager of the Year ahead of Mourinho in 2005 is just one of a number that have attracted accusations that there is a British bias within the League Managers’ Association, of which Moyes is on the management committee, when members have cast their votes.

Gerard Houllier was unhappy that, when Liverpool won a treble in 2001, George Burley was deemed to have done a better job than him by steering Ipswich Town to fifth place, while Pep Guardiola lost out to Sheffield United’s Chris Wilder in 2019, despite doing a clean sweep of the domestic trophies with Manchester City.

It certainly seems that the LMA members favour the underdog and a fourth award would give Moyes as many as Mourinho, Houllier, Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola, Arsene Wenger, Carlo Ancelotti, Rafael Benitez, Roberto Mancini and Manuel Pellegrini have between them.

Moyes is the only man on that list to have never won a domestic trophy at any of the four Premier League clubs he has managed and is the only man to have suffered a relegation, with Sunderland in 2017.

That is not to say Moyes’ body work is not impressive because it is and he undoubtedly added value at Everton, where he did a superb job at a time when the club had very little money in comparison to their rivals and could easily have been relegated.

One thing's for certain, some of the predictions on here that he'd be a disaster for West Ham and get them relegated have proved a little wide of the mark.

:D :D

Last edited:

Surprised it’s take him so long to find success again to be honest. Was dealt a bum deal at United and probably affected his confidence.
He was a good manager for us
He was decent if not exceptional his first time at West Ham. Sunderland was just plain awful though. Sociedad was an odd one. We'll see where he has West Ham at the end of the season. I hope we are above them and don't think that is unachievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back