Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes is a good manager always was, he's at a club that Suits him like he was here at the time. He moved on 2 expensive players Felipe Anderson and Haller and got better results, Lingaard could turn out to be the signing of the season (they will desperately want to sign him properly in the summer) it looks like he’s working his magic again, like he did with Cahill and Arteta and others back in the day. Good luck to him.

Doesn't the lesson of David Moyes' happy hammers teach us not to take too much notice of predictions on this site?

I read more than a few on here who thought the appointment of Moyes a one-way ticket to relegation, a disaster for West Ham and what are they thinking of.

Relegation candidates to being serious top four and Champions League contenders in less than a season, how could so many of us be so wrong?

Predictions on here being not so much 'Mystic Meg' but far more Clueless Clive.

Is there an anti-Moyes agenda which takes priority over anything else?

Last edited:
Much as I've felt a fair bit of resentment towards Moyes at times for the way he's spoken and behaved on occasion since leaving us, I feel kind of pleased seeing him redeeming his reputation at the Hammers.

Hope they suffer a bad run of form soon though, at the same time we put one together, hopefully.

Doesn't the lesson of David Moyes' happy hammers teach us not to take too much notice of predictions on this site?

I read more than a few on here who thought the appointment of Moyes a one-way ticket to relegation, a disaster for West Ham and what are they thinking of.

Relegation candidates to being serious top four and Champions League contenders in less than a season, how could so many of us be so wrong?

Predictions on here being not so much 'Mystic Meg' but far more Clueless Clive.

Is there an anti-Moyes agenda which takes priority over anything else?
I suspect there is an overt anti-Moyes agenda from some, while for others it may be more subconscious and subtle in nature fuelling their scepticisms.

You're also right about the predictions being incorrect, up to now. It doesn't take much magnanimity to acknowledge that West Ham are doing really well.

However, it's also very easy to say with the wonder of hindsight that people were so wrong and more so when there's still ten or so games to go.

He didn't cover himself with glory at United regardless of whether he was treated unfairly or not; Sunderland nor Sociedad were spectacular times for him.

Looking at it purely on the balance of his last few appointments, it wasn't too unrealistic to have concerns albeit relegation may have been a bit hyperbole.

Moyes looked much more like his old self during his first tenure at West Ham to the point I surprised they didn't keep him. He's certainly found his mojo again.

Still, their end to February alongside March don't look the easy of tests, so if they come through there then it'll be a brilliant job by him. If not, they may fade.

The real acid test will be what he achieves in the long-term. For the WHU fans and importantly the board, they must be licking their lips at the prospects.

Nevertheless, I still feel there's fair scepticism regarding where he can take them although sitting 5th-10th most years* would probably please most.

*The most realistic long-term outcome.

They'll drop off over the next 6 games

Yeah I remember early season (end of September) when they faced a relatively similar set of nightmare fixtures having already faced the then confident Arsenal at the Emirates and been unlucky to narrowly lose 2-1. Lots thought here we go, look at the fixtures to come now - they'll be properly hammered and relegation just around the corner

Wolves (when they still had Jimenez and were full of confidence)

West Ham 4 Wolves 0

Followed by away games to Leicester and Spurs with City their visitors in the following home game

Leicester 0 West Ham 3

Tottenham 3 West Ham 3

West Ham 1 Manchester City 1

Could the hammers prove the tipsters totally wrong once again?

Yeah I remember early season (end of September) when they faced a relatively similar set of nightmare fixtures having already faced the then confident Arsenal at the Emirates and been unlucky to narrowly lose 2-1. Lots thought here we go, look at the fixtures to come now - they'll be properly hammered and relegation just around the corner

Wolves (when they still had Jimenez and were full of confidence)

West Ham 4 Wolves 0

Followed by away games to Leicester and Spurs with City their visitors in the following home game

Leicester 0 West Ham 3

Tottenham 3 West Ham 3

West Ham 1 Manchester City 1

Could the hammers prove the tipsters totally wrong once again?

Were talking about west ham...

The highest West Ham have ever finished in the Premier League was 5th place in 1998-1999 but they did finish 3rd in the league in 1985-86, which was their highest ever finish in the top division.

Were talking about west ham...

The highest West Ham have ever finished in the Premier League was 5th place in 1998-1999 but they did finish 3rd in the league in 1985-86, which was their highest ever finish in the top division.

I thought your point about they'll drop off over the next 6 games referred to their meeting some tough opposition in those said 6 games

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I didn't fully realise you were actually referring to West Ham's league history going back through the decades.

He has done very well, credit to him.

There will be perpetual question marks over his ability to get a team "over the line" in any respect though. There is neither a culture nor expectation of that at West Ham, and crucially Moyes has achieved very little in tangible terms over a very long career.

If they made the Europa League, it would be a fantastic season for them and he would be a genuine contender for manager of the year.

There is no particular pressure on them and they can use that to their advantage.

I'd be happy enough to see him do well, but not at our expense obviously.

It's critical for us to finish above them and I remain confident we will do that.

I thought your point about they'll drop off over the next 6 games referred to their meeting some tough opposition in those said 6 games

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I didn't fully realise you were actually referring to West Ham's league history going back through the decades.

Its a bit like the Alex Ferguson half time team talk

"Lads its Spurs"

Same applies for West Ham. Over the next 6 league games they'll drop off...

Yes, theyve done really well so far but we know with both West Ham and Moyes that they're chokers.

Cant see them lasting the pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back