Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah right, the Champions Juventus where miles better, with the likes of Del Piero and Vieri up front, Peruzzi in goal and the little known Zinedine Zidane in midfield. They were also managed by Lippi at the time.

Ancelotti’s Parma were second and were hardly slouches themselves, with Crespo, Chiesa, Zola, Dino Baggio, Buffon, Thuram - they were stacked!
What a league that once was!

Yeah right, the Champions Juventus where miles better, with the likes of Del Piero and Vieri up front, Peruzzi in goal and the little known Zinedine Zidane in midfield. They were also managed by Lippi at the time.

Ancelotti’s Parma were second and were hardly slouches themselves, with Crespo, Chiesa, Zola, Dino Baggio, Buffon, Thuram - they were stacked!

Yes that was a great league and fun to watch no doubt. Not going to argue about that but I would've thought you could point to more than one out of his 41 season in management to back up your guy? Anyone guess whose team have scored the least goals in the league this season?

Yes that was a great league and fun to watch no doubt. Not going to argue about that but I would've thought you could point to more than one out of his 41 season in management to back up your guy? Anyone guess whose team have scored the least goals in the league this season?
He’s not my guy, I just think he is much better than a lot of people think. His work in Scandinavia was stellar, getting Fulham to a Europa final was excellent, he did very well at West Brom. Unfortunately for him he has taken some of his bigger jobs in England (Blackburn, Liverpool,) when they were on the decline. And England was, well, England!

Overall he is a very good, experienced coach. WatchPalace drop like a stone without him. Fulham and Brom hardly flourished without him.

didn’t Roy get to two UEFA finals with Inter over his two stints?

He’s not my guy, I just think he is much better than a lot of people think. His work in Scandinavia was stellar, getting Fulham to a Europa final was excellent, he did very well at West Brom. Unfortunately for him he has taken some of his bigger jobs in England (Blackburn, Liverpool,) when they were on the decline. And England was, well, England!

Overall he is a very good, experienced coach. WatchPalace drop like a stone without him. Fulham and Brom hardly flourished without him.

didn’t Roy get to two UEFA finals with Inter over his two stints?

One UEFA final I think when they lost on PKs to Schalke. The following season, after he had left they won it beating Lazio 3-0.

I did find this quite harsh though on Roy from the fans after that Schalke final:
"Given that Inter had a recent history of winning UEFA Cup finals, with victories in both 1991 and 1994, the Italian side started as favourites. It was the last UEFA Cup final to be played over two legs, with each club winning their home leg 1–0. When the German underdogs won the final in Milan on penalties, Inter fans pelted Hodgson with coins and lighters"

You mischaracterise his spell at Inter - he did very well there and it was his choice to leave to go to Blackburn.

“After a terrible start to the season that saw the team bottom of Serie A, Hodgson was brought in and guided the club to seventh place in the 1995–96 season, qualifying for the UEFA Cup. In an interview with FourFourTwo in a May 2005 issue, Roberto Carlos stated that he had difficulties with Hodgson throughout the 1995–96 season, and that his decision to leave Inter at the end of the season was largely due to Hodgson's refusal to field him in his preferred position, as a left-back, rather than in a more advanced position on the wing.[26]

“The 1996–97 season saw Hodgson leave Inter after guiding them to a third-place finish”

Finishing third is Hardly the barely scraping by that you suggest! And Serie A was the best league in the world at that point.
You have to laugh at Hodgson playing Carlos in midfield though - like I've got the world's greatest left back here, but just not sure how I can fit him into my system.

Just change the system you absolute whopper and sit back as he creates fifty goals a season, and your name rings out around the San Siro. But no, there was that one time he didn't track back against Udinese in the cup.

You have to laugh at Hodgson playing Carlos in midfield though - like I've got the world's greatest left back here, but just not sure how I can fit him into my system.

Just change the system you absolute whopper and sit back as he creates fifty goals a season, and your name rings out around the San Siro. But no, there was that one time he didn't track back against Udinese in the cup.

Exactly. You can imagine the HT talk:
"Roberto. Are you taking the mickey. You're the fullback in MY 4-4-2. Dont ever go up near the halfway line lad. This aint Cobacabana Beach.........lets keep it tight yeah"

One UEFA final I think when they lost on PKs to Schalke. The following season, after he had left they won it beating Lazio 3-0.

I did find this quite harsh though on Roy from the fans after that Schalke final:
"Given that Inter had a recent history of winning UEFA Cup finals, with victories in both 1991 and 1994, the Italian side started as favourites. It was the last UEFA Cup final to be played over two legs, with each club winning their home leg 1–0. When the German underdogs won the final in Milan on penalties, Inter fans pelted Hodgson with coins and lighters"
No wonder he left! The Italian fans were/are nuts.

Thing is Serie A is such a defensive league that it exposes Carlos’ weaknesses. I assume he headed to Spain not too long after.

After claiming 'winning is what I do' it will be interesting to see how Mr Moyes does tonight against a Man City side which has gone backwards this season.

Oh and then it's only the easy task of Liverpool away for the Hammers next game.

If he's the winner he claims he is then surely he's looking at six points?

After claiming 'winning is what I do' it will be interesting to see how Mr Moyes does tonight against a Man City side which has gone backwards this season.

Oh and then it's only the easy task of Liverpool away for the Hammers next game.

If he's the winner he claims he is then surely he's looking at six points?
He’s a loser and a first class bellend that’s what he is......But I predict he will get a point at Anfield

The only thing Moyes will be getting at Anfield is endlessly mocked by their fans. Not a chance this piss poor Hammers side is capable of doing what no-one else has done this season and take points there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back