Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t believe he showed Rio Ferdinand a video of Phil Jagielka as a form of coaching.
Haha is that seriously real.

Showing one of the best defenders of the time a video of a low block defender for coaching is astounding, I did read that Rio found training really boring pretty quickly under Moyes.

Haha is that seriously real.

Showing one of the best defenders of the time a video of a low block defender for coaching is astounding, I did read that Rio found training really boring pretty quickly under Moyes.
Not really, if you have a video of someone defending how you want them to do it, why not show your new defender a video of them doing it?

I am sure he didn't use it to explain how to tackle and how to be a defender. In fact I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want to use previous examples of it being done the way you want it you had them?

"When the ball comes in from the left you need to stand about 5 yards to the left of the right back and slightly behind whilst the keeper....
I have an example of it on video, but you're a better tackler so I will just keep describing it.... whilst the keeper covers the area in behind, then on the second ball if it's cleared you need to push forw...."

Showing the videos of the positioning he wants his defenders seems pretty logical to me

Last edited:
Never fully understoodEverton v West Ham in terms of comparisons on who is the biggest club & some sort of rivalry in the media or forums.

As for Moyes, Charlie Nicholas is one disingenuous pompous bell, the fans had given fella a pretty decent send off in his last home game despite how poorly and belittling things were handled and the fans only started to turn fully with his demeanour in the pursuit of Baines/Fellaini. No one is putting that gobby prat in his place.

Never fully understoodEverton v West Ham in terms of comparisons on who is the biggest club & some sort of rivalry in the media or forums.

As for Moyes, Charlie Nicholas is one disingenuous pompous bell, the fans had given fella a pretty decent send off in his last home game despite how poorly and belittling things were handled and the fans only started to turn fully with his demeanour in the pursuit of Baines/Fellaini. No one is putting that gobby prat in his place.

West Ham seem to be trying desperately to make us into some sort of rival without realising we couldn't give two hoots about their club.

Not really, if you have a video of someone defending how you want them to do it, why not show your new defender a video of them doing it?

I am sure he didn't use it to explain how to tackle and how to be a defender. In fact I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want to use previous examples of it being done the way you want it you had them?

"When the ball comes in from the left you need to stand about 5 yards to the left of the right back and slightly behind whilst the keeper....
I have an example of it on video, but you're a better tackler so I will just keep describing it.... whilst the keeper covers the area in behind, then on the second ball if it's cleared you need to push forw...."

Showing the videos of the positioning he wants his defenders seems pretty logical to me
Probably why he's such a average manager.

He shows videos while top managers have systems that utilise attacking and defending, Moyes is more about stopping the opposition.

Not much to learn being a defender with Moyes, he likes utilising 3 DM's shielding the defence which he sets up 10 yards further than the 18 yard line, just like the LMA dinosaurs of Hodgson, BFS Pulis Pardew and Hughes is they have an obsession with keeping a rigid defensive shape, it's why none of them have a major trophy between them.

Probably why he's such a average manager.

He shows videos while top managers have systems that utilise attacking and defending, Moyes is more about stopping the opposition.

Not much to learn being a defender with Moyes, he likes utilising 3 DM's shielding the defence which he sets up 10 yards further than the 18 yard line, just like the LMA dinosaurs of Hodgson, BFS Pulis Pardew and Hughes is they have an obsession with keeping a rigid defensive shape, it's why none of them have a major trophy between them.
We did not get a fourth place finish and regular European or very close to positions - by using 3 DM's with no strategy lol

'He shows videos while top managers have systems that utilise attacking and defending, Moyes is more about stopping the opposition.'

He used the video as a training tool, not as a substitute for strategies or systems, maybe that sentence is missing a comma or two but it doesn't make sense to me, you can watch a video and still have a system, it's probably just me but any way I read it, it's not quite right.

Why didnt he just show him on the training field.
The story I’ve heard is....

Moyes was wanting them to practice defense on the training field, but Rio and his cronies were moaning that it was “too cold.”

So dummy David decides he will throw them a bone and show them video of what he wants them to do. Rio takes offense that the video shows Jagielka, rather than realizing it is about helping him adjust his positioning to adapt to his failing legs.

And a legend is born!

Moral of the story: He should have chanelled Fergie and Jim McLean and beasted them in the rain rather than playing to their egos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back