Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
happy for the lad...he's had a rough time since leaving us (so have we), much of it self-inflicted (same) but he deserves his good times now...if the fates are in sync, then we can expect a good season coming up lol

similar sized clubs w/ long UEFA (Boro/Fulham) runs where floating around 16th. so good season. they've been running on fumes for 2 months now.

Could have defo beat Frankfurt/Rangers if he rested his players more.

I see Moyes won the 7th place trophy again.

Im shocked.

You won't see this Zat because you've had me on ignore for around a decade.

That said it's what he does when given time. The most frustrating thing for me is that so many long for those days.

I am actually happy for him that he has found a club that seems to actually fit. He did fit us at first, mind, but over time it was so apparent that his ceiling was best of the rest.

We have made so many bad decisions since he left, so I can get why people miss him, but it was always the right thing to do to part ways. His ceiling is too low.

That said it's what he does when given time. The most frustrating thing for me is that so many long for those days.

I am actually happy for him that he has found a club that seems to actually fit. He did fit us at first, mind, but over time it was so apparent that his ceiling was best of the rest.

We have made so many bad decisions since he left, so I can get why people miss him, but it was always the right thing to do to part ways. His ceiling is too low.
If they let him buy a decent striker instead of shoehorning Antonio unto the role he'll have them a level up again. Shame he can't get Lukaku and set up directly for him. Also I have a great deal of time for Moyes and his pragmatic approach, it's easy throwing money around and living on the never never, eventually the piper needs paying.

If they let him buy a decent striker instead of shoehorning Antonio unto the role he'll have them a level up again. Shame he can't get Lukaku and set up directly for him. Also I have a great deal of time for Moyes and his pragmatic approach, it's easy throwing money around and living on the never never, eventually the piper needs paying.

My point was that he took as far as he could which wasn't enough. For West Ham it is defo enough.

I think he was massively unlucky, he got Yakubu in, the goals tally was supplemented well, then he went awol on Nigeria duty came back late and then ruptured his achilles. Having waited so long and wheeled and dealed to make it happen suddenly he was without the best pieces of his side. He'd had to sweat blood to get the best parts in the first place and there was very little left over for luxuries like adequate cover. For the financial limitations he was under its been really galling to watch the morons since throw money around like confetti and get almost no value anywhere.

Also I miss the days of being so well armed as to have a knife to take to a gun fight, we've been armed with a blindfold and a cigarette since.

I think he was massively unlucky, he got Yakubu in, the goals tally was supplemented well, then he went awol on Nigeria duty came back late and then ruptured his achilles. Having waited so long and wheeled and dealed to make it happen suddenly he was without the best pieces of his side. He'd had to sweat blood to get the best parts in the first place and there was very little left over for luxuries like adequate cover. For the financial limitations he was under its been really galling to watch the morons since throw money around like confetti and get almost no value anywhere.

Also I miss the days of being so well armed as to have a knife to take to a gun fight, we've been armed with a blindfold and a cigarette since.

Yeah...like I was saying you are the problem.

Longing for better days far below our goals.

That explains that then. Over and out from this problem.

He’s a bottle merchant, safety first coward of a manager - not in the least bit surprised they fluffed it with dour Davey leading the way!

Utter nonsense.

You've drank the kool aid for "plucky little Everton" if you genuinely believe that.

Wigan demolished us (in the quarters btw) en route to an FA cup final.
Which they won. Against Man City. With Arouna Kone as a starter. With a team full of mid-championship players and Arouna Kone, who demolished us, leading the line. Are we not as good, or better, on paper? Yes. Did we bottle it MASSIVELY against Wigan? Also yes.

Of course we expect our team to win games, can you believe that? As we should ffs! Reaching a semi final and going "ah we've had a good run" - are you Bill Kenwright in disguise? "We've had good times" indeed.

Moyes instilled this mentality and it's sad that people still follow the crap and just think that we shouldn't be winning cups because... Other teams have good players???? ? Listen to yourself lad ffs
I said "just expect to win games against better teams". When you go up against a better side you need an element of luck and for them to have an off day. That's what happened in the Wigan-City game. Funnily enough that's what also happened when our "Dogs of War" beat Utd in 1995. Unfortunately it didn't in the Chelsea Cup Final in 2009. Beaten by a way better team who on the day played to a level where we couldn't match them with Lampard and Drogba etc.

The Wigan 3-0 at Goodison was a freak result. 3 goals in 3 minutes. I've never seen it before or since in an Everton game.

Fans like you completely ignore what Moyes inherited when he took over, the depths we had fallen to in the 1990s and the challenge of having a club like Chelsea come along with an unprecedented financial backing.

I said "just expect to win games against better teams". When you go up against a better side you need an element of luck and for them to have an off day. That's what happened in the Wigan-City game. Funnily enough that's what also happened when our "Dogs of War" beat Utd in 1995. Unfortunately it didn't in the Chelsea Cup Final in 2009. Beaten by a way better team who on the day played to a level where we couldn't match them with Lampard and Drogba etc.

The Wigan 3-0 at Goodison was a freak result. 3 goals in 3 minutes. I've never seen it before or since in an Everton game.

Fans like you completely ignore what Moyes inherited when he took over, the depths we had fallen to in the 1990s and the challenge of having a club like Chelsea come along with an unprecedented financial backing.
The "he inherited this and that" is largely irrelevant - we're not talking about the season he came in, we're talking 10+ years later. Entirely his own team, with his own mindset.

There's many ways for a team to setup and win games against better sides - oddly enough Moyes himself was very good against City in the league. But not in any kind of relevant or cup game though, that's too dangerous.
Plan A was the way we played most often - down the left. If that doesn't work - Fellaini/big lad/Cahill or all 3 options in the box and pump it in.
Plan B - park the bus, clench the anus, hold on for dear life. Works sometimes. Oh also take a forward off for a defender.

2009 our plan was to defend for 90 minutes and offer absolutely nothing going forward - proper "park the bus there's 5 min left to go" game, despite the fact it was with an entire game to go as we scored the fastest goal ever at that point. Had nothing to do with money or who it was - if it was a League 2 team we'd still play that way, that was the only way to play in those situations. We've sat back and defended and it's cost us in cups to the point it was the "regular loss in the league/FA cup against a L1/Championship team" year by year.

Some examples though - 2018 Eintracht, having ridiculously inferior players to Bayern, played well, played on the counter, created chances, won the cup.
Leicester for the FA Cup vs Chelsea last year - shithoused a 1:0 thanks to a worldie, but didn't roll over.
Palace gave United a game in 2016 taking it to extra time, didn't roll over.
We just seemingly never could. Almost as if the way we set up was not "to try and win", but rather "not to lose". Had we beat Wigan and somehow miraculously defeated the giants of checks notes... Millwall... in the semi - we'd be absolutely battered by City anyway, by that logic, so why even try, right?

Also the 3 goals in a few minutes has happened so many times since that I don't believe you, but I also want to erase those moments, sadly lol

If you can't understand that there are ways to win against bigger teams - might as well just roll over to the "top 4" and let them have the master mega awesome super league or whatever the hell.
I just wanted to see us try in these competitions, maybe reach a final. Arsed what cup it is. Maybe it's me being salty the most "success" I've seen for us is essentially that same 2009 final which we had no bottle to try in and the Everton Cup or whatever for playing against Everton ffs.

Leicester won a title based on playing smart, not pretty, and by adopting an underdog kind of mentality against everyone. We can't over the span of 1 or 2 games though, as other teams have better players. Martinez was a beast in those - remember how we absolutely crapped on Wolfsburg? Remember how we finished 11th and we were on an obvious spiral, yet Wolfsburg were quite dominant and finished 2nd in the BuLi that same year and won the cup? KDB played in that game, Perisic, Bas Dost - yet, we dismantled them at ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back