2022/23 Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel for him in a way here though. Im not sure we are in a position to risk the payment, especially as he will be out of contract at the end of the season. But Spurs dont gain if he goes now for buttons or free. Dele gains nothing and it wont help if he's just sitting on the bench caught in the middle.

Surely 3 parties can come to an agreement where we can take a risk financially, Dele gets a proper chance and Spurs are willing to take a smaller guaranteed fee, rather than nothing.
Mate I wouldn't hold out any hope of a review of this deal from Levy. I'm guessing Levy will absolutely feel that the deal he negotiated with us at the time priced-in all that risk. We got him for nothing up-front, so they took that risk.

We also don't know what the 20 games are. Really can't see 5-10 minutes here and there counting. Could be starts or at least a 45 minute game.
Yeah, this we don't know. I was shouting at my TV when Lampard was bringing him on for 10 minutes off the bench at an effective cost of 500k a time, but maybe those didn't count towards the total.

I've watched the interview in full.
Pretty incredible to think that a young boy with that upbringing & the trauma of it living with him day in, day out can still end up being one of the worlds brightest footballing prospects. His adoptive parents really did a great job there.

As for the future of the man, i really hope this is a turning point for the better for him. I hope he continues his mental recovery & finds more of the right sort of coping methods down the line for if/when those bad days come back.

As for the future of the footballer, if he can get back to anything close to resembling a top level premier league player then it could literally be the thing that helps keep us up again. This 7 games left talk doesn't add up as Dele was saying he looks forward to a big season ahead after his injury is sorted. Would be nice to know the real deal on that but i doubt we will until the 8th game if it comes.

That was a brave thing he did today. Clearly wasn't ready but was forced into it by scummy media.
You just hope he finds catharsis in talking so publicly, its incredibly hard to get those levels back as a footballer even if you get your mind right but on a human level he can still live a fulfilling life.

That's the big question.

Spurs , as his employer should have known. Did they withold this info ?
The club captain certainly knew, not of the past traumas, but certainly the life he was living. He said they used to admonish him.

But we won’t get anywhere accusing former employers of not disclosing things. You do your own investigations. We can’t claim Brighton never told us Maupay doesn’t like scoring.

Negotiate changes on the remaining payment profile and move on. They have no obligation to, but it would be better for Spurs if they are seen to unshackle the player from our stupid financial mess so we can actually afford to give him a chance.

Whether it’s here or not, really excited for the lad to see what he can become.

Mate I wouldn't hold out any hope of a review of this deal from Levy. I'm guessing Levy will absolutely feel that the deal he negotiated with us at the time priced-in all that risk. We got him for nothing up-front, so they took that risk.
But the point is the risk we wouldn't play him 20 times was one Spurs were taking. Barring a compromise that's what's going to happen so a renegotiated deal would be buying them out of that outcome as much as it would be helping us and Dele.

There was a suggestion going around recently that he had a privileged upbringing, so as a result he doesn't have the drive that other players might. I'm not quite sure how whoever came out with that got to there, now. Even if his adoptive family are absolutely minted, you can't ignore everything else that went before.

Anyways, very good interview. Really hope he finds his way again, be that with us or another club.

Last edited:
The club captain certainly knew, not of the past traumas, but certainly the life he was living. He said they used to admonish him.

But we won’t get anywhere accusing former employers of not disclosing things. You do your own investigations. We can’t claim Brighton never told us Maupay doesn’t like scoring.

Negotiate changes on the remaining payment profile and move on. They have no obligation to, but it would be better for Spurs if they are seen to unshackle the player from our stupid financial mess so we can actually afford to give him a chance.

Whether it’s here or not, really excited for the lad to see what he can become.
On his day was a top class player - BK signs over a meal with Levi - We wanted him - Levi will never back down .....

The thing I never understood about Dele today was that any time I'd hear him speak or seen anything of him first hand he's always seemed like a really nice, intelligent lad, and then you get the media perception of him as a lazy party boy with an attitude problem.

The other thing (and I've said it on here before) that never squared with me is that the media perception was that he'd lost interest in football and just wanted the money, but he had no need to come here to try to revive his career, or to go to Besiktas to try to make it work there. If he didn't care he could've stayed in London collecting fat cheques- his contract at Everton is the same length as the one he had at Spurs so he had no need to move. Clearly he is still a guy that wants to be a top footballer but who was held back by all his other issues.

Although I'm not glad about the horrible stuff that's happened about him it's good to know he isn't how the media have portrayed him and that the issues he has to overcome are issues any of us would struggle to overcome.
Very good post and good points. Certainly look on Deli in a different light now. Used to think he wa sas thick as mince but he came across as an intelligent, eloquent lad in that interview. Best of luck to him now that we know the fuller story. Found that tough to watch at times.

What was he meant to do?

‘Sorry everton, don’t employ me.’

One of the best things about this forum
Is the mental health thread but you still get ignorant comments like this.

This is it. What's he supposed to do?
Spurs position in this is very interesting.

As an employee they owed him a duty of care and one wonders what treatment regime they put in place for him.

With regard to the transfer , if they had medical knowledge relating to the player which they withheld it could lead to the transfer being null and void.

Everton can't play him with the £10m clause hanging over him.

Surely the way forward is for Everton to negotiate a revision of the £10m clause .

If the player won't go to them with his issues or refuses to engage with the process, there's not a lot an employer can do.

Hopefully we've made accruals or reserves in the accounts based on those appearances. Almost criminally dumb if not. Oh wait..

Very difficult situation.

He did mention clearly in the interview, if we are not the place for him, them so be it, no hard feelings.

I do wonder our next move, as in a selfish way.....we will be judged on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.