2023/24 Dele

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty mate on what you know and what you have seen of dele which way do you think it's going to go.
No idea. But if Dyche/thelwell have seen enough to think he can contribute, then that’s good enough for me.

Dyche managed to get DCL fit for 39 games last season. He has clearly protected Dele to get him physically fit for now/next season.

Trust the process.

The Athletic are saying repeatedly "revised payment structure". That means there is a fee. The structure of which has been revised from the original. There is going to be fees. Substantial ones.

View attachment 264343

“Revised payment structure” says to me that we still owe them a transfer fee, only now they’ve allowed us to move the goalposts on the appearance clauses and when they’re triggered. So instead of another 3 appearances to trigger £10m, they’ve let us reset it back to 20 games or something.

There’s something murky about this whole thing. I want to know what the original deal was, what his new wages will be, what a “revised payment structure” means. I don’t like how shadowy this is.

Payment structure could mean anything, including zero initial payment with a sell-on clause or other such clauses. That would still be a payment structure.

It does not match the claim of "no fee" you made via Myers

There are going to be fees. Or they would have said "sell on agreement"

Well there's no concrete evidence but Myers said there was no fee but a sell on percentage and the Athletic part appears to corroborate that as it only mentions a sell-on. We won't really know but presumably the exact terms are much more favourable.

I can’t imagine a world in which there isn’t appearance-based payments to Spurs. I would like to know how much and at what point they are triggered. Even if the potential total fee is £20m or something, half of the original agreement, that would be a terrible deal for us.
How much were people James was on when he left, like £3m a week? It’ll be that money we are using. You know, made up money.

I hope , if this happens, that the contract is very short, no more than 2 years, and that the wage reflects what a risk we are taking. I still don't think he will ever be a premier league player again, but, if the outlay is small, then I could live with us taking a chance.

It does not match the claim of "no fee" you made via Myers

There are going to be fees. Or they would have said "sell on agreement"

Personally it feels like there was something written into the original deal that we couldn’t release him on a free without paying a fee to Spurs. Like an insurance policy. I genuinely don’t believe we care so much about retaining a player that’s not kicked a ball for 18 months that we would try this hard to keep him, it feels very strange to me and almost like we’ve being forced to renegotiate.

As I’ve said many times, Daniel Levy is not a stupid man and is not going to agree to something that doesn’t ultimately benefit him. I think we’ve been had over a barrel here tbh.

Withholding some amount of judgement until we hear about the length of contract and wages. Injuries would be my other big concern. But have to trust Dyche on this one in my opinion. He wouldn’t mess about it he didn’t think Dele could make an impact. If we hit on both him and Ndiaye that would bring something we haven’t had in a while in terms of creative play. I’ve grown very tired of seeing Doucoure as our main attacking midfielder.

For once and for all Everton bought Dele (not loan) from Spurs but for nothing upfront with contingent fees depending on appearances (never met), a sell-on % and (we now know) a fee on contract extension/renewal.

With his contract with us now expired we would have to pay Spurs if we renew his contract. We are attempting to negotiate that away so we can offer him a new contract without paying a fee. Spurs will retain their sell-on clause (increased?) if we do.

It is an unusual deal but it not that hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back