2021/22 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully disagree, there are plenty of Grey types out there, and selling him for an £18m profit, is exactly what we haven't done in the past and is why we are in this predicament.
Selling him for a profit doesn’t matter if we have to spend that profit replacing him

No, but, it's not worth selling gray because we won't get a big fee, and it won't be easy to replace him with what ever we get unless we get lucky, again.
At least Richarlison would give us a lot of money to spend.

I thought the days of us being a selling club were gone..
But selling him could buy you the young kid from forest Johnson or this cornet from
Burnley

But selling him could buy you the young kid from forest Johnson or this cornet from
Burnley
Not sure about that Burnley player, the lad from Forest would be good, but we would need him to hit the ground running.
Everton gave a lot of deadwood, gray is one of our better players, we just can't weaken the squad by selling him

Not sure about that Burnley player, the lad from Forest would be good, but we would need him to hit the ground running.
Everton gave a lot of deadwood, gray is one of our better players, we just can't weaken the squad by selling him
Not sure he’s one of our best players personally as he doesn’t get in our best 11. And started off well, then had a poor 4 months.. Cornet had more goals in 26 games for Burnley than gray has ever got in a season.

Gray is a decent player but he’d be no great loss.

Selling him for a profit doesn’t matter if we have to spend that profit replacing him
We wouldn't have to spend the full profit to replace him.

Having paid 1.7m for him, we would be insane to reject a bid of 20m for him. I'd join Burnley and Leeds in suing us for financial malpratice if that were the case.

This club needs to quickly learn the Brian Clough/Peter Taylor trick of selling all players at the highest point of their value. Sell for this price if Newcastle were hilarious enough to pay it and buy a replacement for no more than 10m. All of this requires fine judgement, of course - but without that we are going out of business anyway.

Purge, purge, purge!!!

That't not how it works though. This is roughly how it works (smarter people will be able to correct the details)

If we sold Gray for £15m it would be circa £13m FFP profit.

If we bought say Johnson for £20m on a five year contract, only £4m goes to the FFP in this years accounts (the transfer fee is spread across the life of the contract). So for this year, we would be £9m better under FFP rules.

Moshiri has the cash, he just can't spend it because of the FFP regulations halting our spending on paper.

Well, if Hull can ask £30m for their lad. We should demand £100m
But in all seriousness. If a decent offer came in. I would sell.
Does he get in the side ahead of Richarlison or Gordon? Nope. Then you have Alli to figure in. Before we get into if Dobbin comes into contention.
He might not get much game time, if for instance we keep Richarlison and DCL remains fit.
For that reason I say sell and put the money in the post for strengthening other areas.

Well, if Hull can ask £30m for their lad. We should demand £100m
But in all seriousness. If a decent offer came in. I would sell.
Does he get in the side ahead of Richarlison or Gordon? Nope. Then you have Alli to figure in. Before we get into if Dobbin comes into contention.
He might not get much game time, if for instance we keep Richarlison and DCL remains fit.
For that reason I say sell and put the money in the post for strengthening other areas.
If we could play to his strengths, I would have him in the side ahead of Gordon, personally.

If by some miracle he slots 10 goals/assists this season then i'll praise him.

Cant see it...

See this post above and also under the quotes below.

….I think @Zatara has a point, though. We desperately need a goal and creation threat from wide positions. Every successful side we’ve had included wingers who deliver & that needs to be the case for us to improve.

I think he’s talking combined. And gray got 10
Goals in 133 games at Leicester. I’m not expecting there to be massive jump up, playing for us

I posted this earlier but didn't tag anyone, so I'll ask you directly:

What kind of output from Gray would convince you he's value for money?

You're very hung up on his "failure" when we made it our (transfer) business at one time to sign players who were deemed talented but not fulfilling potential, and some of them came good for us. Financially this seems exceptionally low-risk to me, and this signing would not in itself prohibit us from going after "bigger" targets if that was our intention. Seems an odd hill to die on.

"Value for money" doesnt come into it when we need 2 top notch wide players -- assuming we are going for that formation.

Bare minimum 10 goals and assists combined.

Posted by me in response to @Brett Angell Delight and the above posters last year.

Gray to me looked a lot better than I expected for the 1st half of the season.

Astonished he almost hit my target with his 5 goals and 4 assists.

Second half of the season however, looked selfish...lost when not playing in space on the counter...ineffective really.

He has 2 years left on his deal. Could he be good backup to Gordon (if Richarlison leaves) or does it make sense to sell Gray as well ?

If Richarlison goes Gray looks a potentially important member of the squad all of a sudden.

I imagine he's destined to be a half-season player for most of his career given his style and the numbers he's done up to this point, but its better than some of the no-season players we've had.

Not sure I'd be looking to sell. There's a lot of dead weight needs shifting this year and too much turnover of personnel can end up disruptive. Think he's one of our few keepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.