2021/22 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
See this post above and also under the quotes below.

"Value for money" doesnt come into it when we need 2 top notch wide players -- assuming we are going for that formation.

Bare minimum 10 goals and assists combined.

Posted by me in response to @Brett Angell Delight and the above posters last year.

Gray to me looked a lot better than I expected for the 1st half of the season.

Astonished he almost hit my target with his 5 goals and 4 assists.

Second half of the season however, looked selfish...lost when not playing in space on the counter...ineffective really.

He has 2 years left on his deal. Could he be good backup to Gordon (if Richarlison leaves) or does it make sense to sell Gray as well ?
If we can find anyone willing to buy then we should sell him. His start was kind of in line with our “not quite as horrible as the rest of the season” start but his decline was pronounced.

He went into his shell and was hideously selfish, and not Deulofeu-esque where he’s exciting and frustrating in equal measures, but more of the Walcott brand of head down, running into a blind alley and losing the ball, every time.

He’s the kind of individual you might tolerate as part of a squad Plan B but we need every player to create that whole that’s greater than the sum of its parts and he is directly detrimental to that, IMO.

Edit: Good vaulting @Zatara . I’ll take my licks on this one.

See this post above and also under the quotes below.

"Value for money" doesnt come into it when we need 2 top notch wide players -- assuming we are going for that formation.

Bare minimum 10 goals and assists combined.

Posted by me in response to @Brett Angell Delight and the above posters last year.

Gray to me looked a lot better than I expected for the 1st half of the season.

Astonished he almost hit my target with his 5 goals and 4 assists.

Second half of the season however, looked selfish...lost when not playing in space on the counter...ineffective really.

He has 2 years left on his deal. Could he be good backup to Gordon (if Richarlison leaves) or does it make sense to sell Gray as well ?

Anything around 10-15m I'd sell instantly, if we are having to sell the likes of Richy then not selling someone who is clearly not more than an occasional impact sub at any decent team makes no sense.

For me Gordon is ahead of him already by miles, and a lot younger too, Deli if we keep needs to be ahead of him also otherwise why keep him and end up paying spurs 10/20m, Richy looks like he's off and keeping Gray just gives the illusion we don't need to replace Richy - which we will do - plus keeping him just places another "experienced" player ahead of any chance of Dobbin getting minutes

He’s cheap backup that can actually do the job of a backup. He can come on in the second half and make a difference and he can start if someone’s out and do a decent job. For that I’d keep him.

Obviously if someone’s offering £15-20m you’re biting their hand off but I don’t see that happening

Last edited:

We simply cannot sell everybody.

Gomes,Minard,Allan and Keane already being spoken about and Richarlison almost definitely gone.

If we keep selling we won't have a team never mind a squad.

I think this lad will go missing more times than turning up sadly. We need a wide player who will bust a gut trying to attack a fullback and cross.
He worries me.

Seems like a nice humble lad, but I am really really starting to dislike him.

Players that clearly have it in their locker but never actually perform are an expensive waste of time. It’s not suddenly going to click now. I’d clatter him a few times in the first minute of a match and you know he isn’t doing anything for 90 mins.

Seems like a nice humble lad, but I am really really starting to dislike him.

Players that clearly have it in their locker but never actually perform are an expensive waste of time. It’s not suddenly going to click now. I’d clatter him a few times in the first minute of a match and you know he isn’t doing anything for 90 mins.
Laughing my head off at how many players we dislike, you have to laugh at the state

His inconsistency is just bizarre. Came in last season and was a breathe of fresh air, easily our best player at the time. His form then subsequently dropped off a cliff and hasn't really reappeared since...

Status
Not open for further replies.