2021/22 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Type of player that you'd rather spent less time on the ball because of the attributes they have. If we had a creative player like James still I think he would be a quality player as he has the pace and guile to be on the end of through balls and do some damage. Since we don't and our midfield is guff we require him to spend far more time with the ball than he's capable of and his greed well and truly shows.

He's not though is he? That's what everyone said when we signed him, but the reality is he played every single game he was fit for last season and looks highly likely to do the same this season unless things change quite dramatically in the next couple of weeks. I'm not singling him out here but he's not just a squad filler, he's one of our first choice attacking options. And he's not great.
In a nutshell. Replaced James and Siggi who were both starters with him and Townsend. People said “they’ll be decent squad players” which would have been fine, except they weren’t squad players, they were first team starters.

Bringing in squad players who can do a job is one thing, when you have a good first team - when you don’t, you’re just adding more averageness to the pile.

In a nutshell. Replaced James and Siggi who were both starters with him and Townsend. People said “they’ll be decent squad players” which would have been fine, except they weren’t squad players, they were first team starters.

Bringing in squad players who can do a job is one thing, when you have a good first team - when you don’t, you’re just adding more averageness to the pile.
In the last 12 months we’ve lost Sigurdsson, James and Richarlison and replaced them with Gray, Townsend and Gordon.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a drop in goals/assists in any first team ever.

In the last 12 months we’ve lost Sigurdsson, James and Richarlison and replaced them with Gray, Townsend and Gordon.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a drop in goals/assists in any first team ever.
Add Digne to that as well. Literally all the chance creators, assist makers, goal scorers - not to mention set piece takers.

Like you say, has that ever happened before? Stripped away the few creators we had and replaced with players who couldn’t hope to get close.

What are the club asking us to swallow, they must think we’re complete idiots.

Have to say glad he has gone, spent the whole season in Iceland for which I believe he was still being paid as he was under contract.

Add Digne to that as well. Literally all the chance creators, assist makers, goal scorers - not to mention set piece takers.

Like you say, has that ever happened before? Stripped away the few creators we had and replaced with players who couldn’t hope to get close.

What are the club asking us to swallow, they must think we’re complete idiots.
Never really thought about this in the way described. Quite chastening.

My problem is I'm glass half full.

Yes we lost Siggy - but I loathed his tackling, work rate and general demeanor.
Loved James left foot, how often did he play?
Rico, loved his 2nd half to last season. Goes with credit,
Digne off the boil (maybe cause of FSW) and then went.

So yes, without a doubt what you say is correct. We've lost some potential class players... but how much of that really made a difference to staying up? Only Rico (though you'd be right to ask, "could we have been in that position with better players?"). Which is all coulda woulda shoulda etc.

In real terms now, having Gray, Gordon, Myko, Iwobi all maturing together and starting to contribute goals, compared to 'then', then the gaps we need are a fit again DCL + 1 CMF.

I guess my point is we're gonna have to develop what we have to improve our team and not buy in like for like for what's gone.

People definitely went overboard when he hit the ground running but now it’s gone the other way, he’s really not a bad player.
To me he’s exactly like Mirallas. Capable of match winning moments, wonder goals on his own but also capable of doing nothing for a stretch of games and also greedy on the ball.
Mirallas was twice the player Gray has shown to be imo. Kev was a bit selfish but was real quality when he wanted to be.

Never really thought about this in the way described. Quite chastening.

My problem is I'm glass half full.

Yes we lost Siggy - but I loathed his tackling, work rate and general demeanor.
Loved James left foot, how often did he play?
Rico, loved his 2nd half to last season. Goes with credit,
Digne off the boil (maybe cause of FSW) and then went.

So yes, without a doubt what you say is correct. We've lost some potential class players... but how much of that really made a difference to staying up? Only Rico (though you'd be right to ask, "could we have been in that position with better players?"). Which is all coulda woulda shoulda etc.

In real terms now, having Gray, Gordon, Myko, Iwobi all maturing together and starting to contribute goals, compared to 'then', then the gaps we need are a fit again DCL + 1 CMF.

I guess my point is we're gonna have to develop what we have to improve our team and not buy in like for like for what's gone.

A team with Gray, Gordon, Myko, Iwobi and DCL really does sound absolutely cack it has to be said.

Mirallas was twice the player Gray has shown to be imo. Kev was a bit selfish but was real quality when he wanted to be.
Yeah but he only wanted to be quality about as often as Gray was last season sadly

I think you’re remembering the good side of Mirallas more than worst and forgetting the matchwinning goals Gray contributed before Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.