Directors of Football (A Necessity)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced that the Director of Football model actually works.
The idea (as I understand it) is that the DoF is responsible for the long term strategy of the club, identifying and signing players etc thereby ensuring some stability when a Manager resigns/gets sacked.
On the face of it this makes perfect sense given that Managers rarely stay in one job for more than 2 or 3 seasons these days.
This only works though if the DoF is someone with a long term commitment to the future of the club. Yet it seems to me that DoF's are resigning/being sacked from clubs almost as regularly as Managers.

I'm not convinced that the Director of Football model actually works.
The idea (as I understand it) is that the DoF is responsible for the long term strategy of the club, identifying and signing players etc thereby ensuring some stability when a Manager resigns/gets sacked.
On the face of it this makes perfect sense given that Managers rarely stay in one job for more than 2 or 3 seasons these days.
This only works though if the DoF is someone with a long term commitment to the future of the club. Yet it seems to me that DoF's are resigning/being sacked from clubs almost as regularly as Managers.
Pretty much every successful team has one now, the key is for the weirdo owner to not overrule and undermine them

It’s interesting that there are decisions that Brands wanted to take that were overruled.

He didn’t want Benitez, he wanted to give Silva more time. Exactly tie sort of decisions a DoF should be taking.

It’s a role that will never work while Moshiri makes the decisions.

I think it's interesting that some question the stability of a DoF being able to succeed under Moshiri as something with an alternative. To me that question is as crucial or just asking if the club will be successful longterm or not. This is almost a non negotiable reality of running a modern football team. Until thats understood by the board nothing will change regardless of who is manager in my estimation

And simply blindfaith committing to a coach to be the sole decision maker I think suffers from the same potential of ownership undermining. With also far less precedent of working over the last 10 years globally.

A manager removed of a backroom or stable board is simply another soon to be failed manager at Everton. And at these critical moments when your DoF has left, a manager fired and a board under review if thats not rock bottom to adapting to modern practices it might take relegation for Moshiri and Kenwright to learn.

The club needs a Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.