Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Fascinating programme (3rd of 3), discussing the possible medical benefits of fungi, including those containing psilocybin (magic mushrooms) The first five minutes contains a piece on a nasty fungus and ants. The first two episodes are well worth a listen.

I think this is something we'll see more of in future, I've seen/read a few bits and pieces here about how "psychedelics" are proving to be a good way of treating mental health problems. Not just psilocybin but other things too.

Been feeling pretty crap since the turn of the year. No incentive to do anything or go anywhere. Have this nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach constantly though don't know what I'm nervous about.

It all started just before xmas, when i went out for a meal with my 2 best friends and they spent most of the night lecturing me about where my life was heading. I still live at home and single, whilst they're both in happy relationships and have there own place. I know they meant well but it left me feeling pretty awful about myself. I have since avoided speaking to them unless they contact me and make an excuse for a couple of potential meet ups since.

As a result i decided to sign up to an internet dating site, which in hindsight was a terrible idea, as this left me feeling more anxious. I did get talking to someone nice, but he we never met, mainly because I put an obstacle in front of every scenario about meeting up and it fizzled out to the point where there is no contact now. This again has left me feeling down about the whole situation.

My main issue is human contact, I've been wfh since the pandemic and as a result the only contact I've had is with my family which i know isn't healthy but at the same time I dread the thought of going back to the office and have put distance between myself and friends.

In short I wouldn't say I'm suffering with depression, but I know something isn't right with me and it's taking a while to type all this as maybe seeing it in writing will help as I refuse to talk about it with anyone as don't want to cause people I care about stress.

Been feeling pretty crap since the turn of the year. No incentive to do anything or go anywhere. Have this nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach constantly though don't know what I'm nervous about.

It all started just before xmas, when i went out for a meal with my 2 best friends and they spent most of the night lecturing me about where my life was heading. I still live at home and single, whilst they're both in happy relationships and have there own place. I know they meant well but it left me feeling pretty awful about myself. I have since avoided speaking to them unless they contact me and make an excuse for a couple of potential meet ups since.

As a result i decided to sign up to an internet dating site, which in hindsight was a terrible idea, as this left me feeling more anxious. I did get talking to someone nice, but he we never met, mainly because I put an obstacle in front of every scenario about meeting up and it fizzled out to the point where there is no contact now. This again has left me feeling down about the whole situation.

My main issue is human contact, I've been wfh since the pandemic and as a result the only contact I've had is with my family which i know isn't healthy but at the same time I dread the thought of going back to the office and have put distance between myself and friends.

In short I wouldn't say I'm suffering with depression, but I know something isn't right with me and it's taking a while to type all this as maybe seeing it in writing will help as I refuse to talk about it with anyone as don't want to cause people I care about stress.
Hi Paul, sorry your feeling like you are. I genuinely feel your putting a little bit too much " weight " behind the chat you had with your friends. You can easily flip things around. Those of us who are married can testify to our marriages not being perfect and the stresses and strains a marriage can put on you. You may very well be very shy but you know what, so what. It's who you are. As for putting obstacles in the way of possible meet ups / relationships, that's fear on your part that things will go wrong. Yes, they might go wrong but conversely, they might go wonderfully and lead to good things.

My advice Paul, cut yourself some slack. Your being too harsh on yourself buddy. Give relationships a try. It really is about trial and error and the fun is in the trying, right? I'm sure you have a lot to offer someone, your obviously a kind caring fella, so don't be hard on yourself son, there will be someone out there just like you looking for a nice relationship so accept that things won't be perfect all the time and be yourself. There really ISNT anything WRONG with you, a lot of people experience the same issues.

Take care Paul.

Hi Paul, sorry your feeling like you are. I genuinely feel your putting a little bit too much " weight " behind the chat you had with your friends. You can easily flip things around. Those of us who are married can testify to our marriages not being perfect and the stresses and strains a marriage can put on you. You may very well be very shy but you know what, so what. It's who you are. As for putting obstacles in the way of possible meet ups / relationships, that's fear on your part that things will go wrong. Yes, they might go wrong but conversely, they might go wonderfully and lead to good things.

My advice Paul, cut yourself some slack. Your being too harsh on yourself buddy. Give relationships a try. It really is about trial and error and the fun is in the trying, right? I'm sure you have a lot to offer someone, your obviously a kind caring fella, so don't be hard on yourself son, there will be someone out there just like you looking for a nice relationship so accept that things won't be perfect all the time and be yourself. There really ISNT anything WRONG with you, a lot of people experience the same issues.

Take care Paul.
Hi mate, thanks so much for your response. The part I've highlighted in bold is 100% spot on. I'm a worst-case scenario guy and always have been and that's what I need to deal with.

Hi mate, thanks so much for your response. The part I've highlighted in bold is 100% spot on. I'm a worst-case scenario guy and always have been and that's what I need to deal with.
Paul I think you can turn it round. There is a fear from people that they won't be able to cope. In fact, they have been through the experience before and COME THROUGH IT. Demonstrating in your case for example that if it goes " wrong " you are able to move on. I think Paul it's perfectly understandable for you to try and protect yourself from the pain and anguish of a failed relationship will bring. But it'll be a shame in my view that this fear may stop you getting into a relationship and not only denying yourself happiness, but someone else too. Doesn't bringing happiness to someone else also makes you feel good about yourself. It does me.

Share your life Paul, you have lots to offer buddy and I'm sure you'll be fine. Take care Paul.

So sorry to read that feel like this. It is often easier to stay in our comfort zone for fear of failure but that may deny us the pleasure of new experiences and relationships. The worst case scenario that you speak of may not happen and if it does move on and try again. @Spotty has, as always, given some great advice. I wish you all the best.?

@Spotty has covered most of this with his excellent (as always) reply.

What I’d add is that you’re seeing your online dating experience as a failure when what it actually was, is progress. You spoke to someone nice; the conversation progressed to where a meeting was actually on the cards. Now you know what you did that was prohibitive to that next step taking place, your next attempt might get that little bit further, and so on.

Never feel under pressure to hit certain milestones just because others you know have. The fact you’ll have done it at your own pace will make you that much more comfortable when it happens.

Best of luck in everything, mate.

I think this is something we'll see more of in future, I've seen/read a few bits and pieces here about how "psychedelics" are proving to be a good way of treating mental health problems. Not just psilocybin but other things too.

Pretty sure ecstasy was first used in psychiatric treatment too - medicinal doses obviously !

Would like to think, if anyone on here had a problem, they could speak to just about anyone on here. Alright, it's not a professional mental health care worker, but sometimes just voicing your concerns, in person or even online, can make the world of difference.
I had an opinion contrary to what others in the forum had about the penalty in the RS game and I was shouted down and accused of being RS. A place where a diversity of opinion isn’t welcome can’t be very positive for mental health.

I think we have to see past football.

Tbh its probably made you feel a certain way because its not a situation you want ti be in

You need to get past comfort zones and seek what you want mate nobody will do it for you thats the top and bottom of it

theres a big world out there and assuming your in 30s its time to grab it

Good luck mate

@Spotty has covered most of this with his excellent (as always) reply.

What I’d add is that you’re seeing your online dating experience as a failure when what it actually was, is progress. You spoke to someone nice; the conversation progressed to where a meeting was actually on the cards. Now you know what you did that was prohibitive to that next step taking place, your next attempt might get that little bit further, and so on.

Never feel under pressure to hit certain milestones just because others you know have. The fact you’ll have done it at your own pace will make you that much more comfortable when it happens.

Best of luck in everything, mate.
"Never feel under pressure........because others have .", this Brett 100%.