Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Just realised that's it's 10 years today since I had a bet ... there was a time 10 hours was a stretch. Life can still be a struggle but stopping gambling was definitely a huge plus
Great news. Nearly 27 years without a bet myself. Best thing about getting some longevity under your belt is that all the horses, dogs, footballers and other sundries that I used to bet on have all either died or moved on. I can hear the name of a horse now and they mean nothing to me. Keep well my friend.

Great news. Nearly 27 years without a bet myself. Best thing about getting some longevity under your belt is that all the horses, dogs, footballers and other sundries that I used to bet on have all either died or moved on. I can here the name of a horse now and they mean nothing to me. Keep well my friend.
I still have an interest in horse racing as its in the family. But it's more the breeding and that. But time is without doubt a healer

My daughter tried to take her life last year. And again on sunday. Went to hospital. Got admitted. Got her sorted for the overdose. Am at my wits end. The mental health team came interviewed her she tells them i cant cope with my head i will probably do this again... Am in a bad place. All the cries for help but they just send her home. With a little fact sheet. ... It really is a shitty world to suffer mentally this world. I was hoping they take her in help her proper but no ! What do you have to do to get proper help ???? You know what boyz. I really envy. All you guys who,s only big nightmare is if we go down !! Atb. Macker
It's reading posts like this that makes me ashamed that I get annoyed or upset about insignificant things. My daughter has twice taken an overdose, as did one of my sisters a long time ago, but when it's your child, no matter what age, it is possibly the worst, most frightening thing a parent can go through, bar the obvious worst of all.

I really feel for you, Macker. If we do get relegated I will remember your awful situation and be thankful it's only relegation, not life or death.

It's reading posts like this that makes me ashamed that I get annoyed or upset about insignificant things. My daughter has twice taken an overdose, as did one of my sisters a long time ago, but when it's your child, no matter what age, it is possibly the worst, most frightening thing a parent can go through, bar the obvious worst of all.

I really feel for you, Macker. If we do get relegated I will remember your awful situation and be thankful it's only relegation, not life or death.
Thnx bud
Coyb

went from having a grand in the bank today to 500...

Its scary when you're addicting to gambling and you just dont value money.
I can lash 200 on a bet and if it loses i dont even blink. i just deposit again
A young relative of mine, in his 30s now, had big gambling issues . He joined GA just over 5 years ago and they’ve been a great help to him by attending meetings. He’s just got his “ five years” pin from GA. It may not be for everybody , but it’s worth giving them a call for a chat.

Just realised that's it's 10 years today since I had a bet ... there was a time 10 hours was a stretch. Life can still be a struggle but stopping gambling was definitely a huge plus

Amazing mate. Absolutely amazing well done.

I'm on 1 year, 7 months, 23 days, 12 hours, 2mins and 30 seconds at present.
It is really, really hard and every day I wish I could have one.

To do 10 years is some achievement.

Keep it up.

went from having a grand in the bank today to 500...

Its scary when you're addicting to gambling and you just dont value money.
I can lash 200 on a bet and if it loses i dont even blink. i just deposit again

One day mate, and it may not have happened yet, it may have happened already. You'll have a realisation of what on earth am i doing. It has to stop.

As a gambling addict, I urge you to take the steps now while you're not 'blinking an eye' at it, it will be easier. However if you do reach that horrible, murky, digusting self loathing point, take every step and help you can get.

Groups aren't for anybody. I have real bad social anxiety so that would never have been a help for me. However I initially used the gamban tool, it helped take it out of my hands and it isn't easy to remove either so not like its just an app you switch off. I was having mobile connection issues when I had it, so removed it at a point when I knew I was well in control.

I'm 1 year 7 months into my sobriety, and I still feel low, struggling with life, but one thing that isn't on my mind is money worries, at least not in the way it is. Now it's more about elec/gas/fuel bills, which isn't my fault.

My key things advice that have helped me, and I'm not saying these would help you but my experience;

1. Don't hide the fact you're a gambling addict. I hid it for years from parents, the few friends i have. I've been brutally honest with my colleagues in work, some of whom I play footy with or chat regularly. It may feel horrible to admit it, or say it, or disgusting, but actually it will give you a bit of a fresh air about it. I have had nothing negative from anyone i've spoken to it about. They just listen, they haven't tried to solve it but have just listened and accept it. Nobody talks about betting in the office really.
  2. Take the steps available to you, like everything in life no option works the same for different people. If you're a social person, try the groups. I am sure they are a massive help, it just wasn't for me and would cause me more harm than good. Just try not to wait until you're at that horrible self-loathing point. If you can be preventative now, please do so!
  3. Install an app on your phone called 'Gambling Addiction'. Set how much you would spend and how much time you'd spend. This will build up over time and you'll see just how much you have not only saved in money, but in time. I set mine to £10 a day which was probably right. So far I've saved £6.025.02 since i quit gambling. Timewise 71 days, 3 hours, 5 mins.
  4. Accept your problem and embrace it. It is what it is, the question is not why am I a gambling addict, but more what are the benefits of accepting it and doing something about it.

I hope this helps. It may not be brilliant or anything useful, but that's my experience and accepting it, for me has been the key driver in getting control. As soon as you accept it, your brain lets you work on how to fix it.

Amazing mate. Absolutely amazing well done.

I'm on 1 year, 7 months, 23 days, 12 hours, 2mins and 30 seconds at present.
It is really, really hard and every day I wish I could have one.

To do 10 years is some achievement.

Keep it up.
Well done mate too. You are doin great. Keep doing what you are doing. It does get easier but don't get complacent either

One day mate, and it may not have happened yet, it may have happened already. You'll have a realisation of what on earth am i doing. It has to stop.

As a gambling addict, I urge you to take the steps now while you're not 'blinking an eye' at it, it will be easier. However if you do reach that horrible, murky, digusting self loathing point, take every step and help you can get.

Groups aren't for anybody. I have real bad social anxiety so that would never have been a help for me. However I initially used the gamban tool, it helped take it out of my hands and it isn't easy to remove either so not like its just an app you switch off. I was having mobile connection issues when I had it, so removed it at a point when I knew I was well in control.

I'm 1 year 7 months into my sobriety, and I still feel low, struggling with life, but one thing that isn't on my mind is money worries, at least not in the way it is. Now it's more about elec/gas/fuel bills, which isn't my fault.

My key things advice that have helped me, and I'm not saying these would help you but my experience;

1. Don't hide the fact you're a gambling addict. I hid it for years from parents, the few friends i have. I've been brutally honest with my colleagues in work, some of whom I play footy with or chat regularly. It may feel horrible to admit it, or say it, or disgusting, but actually it will give you a bit of a fresh air about it. I have had nothing negative from anyone i've spoken to it about. They just listen, they haven't tried to solve it but have just listened and accept it. Nobody talks about betting in the office really.
  2. Take the steps available to you, like everything in life no option works the same for different people. If you're a social person, try the groups. I am sure they are a massive help, it just wasn't for me and would cause me more harm than good. Just try not to wait until you're at that horrible self-loathing point. If you can be preventative now, please do so!
  3. Install an app on your phone called 'Gambling Addiction'. Set how much you would spend and how much time you'd spend. This will build up over time and you'll see just how much you have not only saved in money, but in time. I set mine to £10 a day which was probably right. So far I've saved £6.025.02 since i quit gambling. Timewise 71 days, 3 hours, 5 mins.
  4. Accept your problem and embrace it. It is what it is, the question is not why am I a gambling addict, but more what are the benefits of accepting it and doing something about it.

I hope this helps. It may not be brilliant or anything useful, but that's my experience and accepting it, for me has been the key driver in getting control. As soon as you accept it, your brain lets you work on how to fix it.
Some great advice here . Wanting to stop for me was the biggest factor.
Ga is brilliant. Going the first time is the hardest thing. But it's what kept me away from a bet anyway.

Well done on your 1 year 7 months.

Screenshot_20230306-212034-562.png

Today I filmed the first of my videos tracking my efforts to get officially diagnosed as having a ADHD. It'll probably turn out to be more like an autobiography. If it does then viewers are in for a real rollercoaster of a life!

View attachment 206019

Today I filmed the first of my videos tracking my efforts to get officially diagnosed as having a ADHD. It'll probably turn out to be more like an autobiography. If it does then viewers are in for a real rollercoaster of a life!

What makes you think you have ADHD?

I only ask as I’m going through CBT at the moment and it’s been mentioned by my therapist as a possible cause for my behaviour.

That along side dyslexia and dyspraxia. Will be doing some behavioural therapies in the coming weeks to see what’s what.

Good luck on your journey. If you have similar traits to me then I know how frustrating and debilitating it is.

What makes you think you have ADHD?

I only ask as I’m going through CBT at the moment and it’s been mentioned by my therapist as a possible cause for my behaviour.

That along side dyslexia and dyspraxia. Will be doing some behavioural therapies in the coming weeks to see what’s what.

Good luck on your journey. If you have similar traits to me then I know how frustrating and debilitating it is.
When I went for my initial memory/mental health checks the person who tested me said she could tell I had ADHD even without the tests because I kept changing the subject and moving on to something else. Think of a Ronnie Corbett 'Two Ronnies' story on steroids and you'll get the idea. The difference is that Ronnie usually ended up where he started.

There are lots of check points. Quick-wittedness, flashes of genius, drinking too much, spending too much, the constant search for something else to make me feel good, unable to stay in a job for too long - either by getting the sack or suddenly blowing up and handing in my notice (or just walking out and not returning), impatience, risk-taking with no thought of the outcome or how it might affect anyone else, and generally a Jeykll and Hyde personality.