Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Maybe, I think I’m going to look into leaving ASAP

I think burnout is a big thing, additionally is people are getting fed up of being treated as commodities which companies can just dump as soon as they’re used up as you say. Much as it disgusts me, my treatment doesn’t surprise me working for a large American financial institution, not exactly known for their humanity or compassion like

I meant to post it in @verreauxi's corporate overreach thread, but even though there is a lot of talk about the severe stagnation of wages in relation to the cost of living, there's another more insidious type of inflation happening inside the work place. Companies have never had more access to the granular metrics of the workplace and can basically bean-count every minute you're in there. This leads to obvious issues, like lumping more and more work on to people to achieve the unrealistic objectives that they have set.

Where people were once able to manage their own discretionary time in the workplace, they are now forced to expend unprecedented amounts of mental effort just to fulfill their burgeoning array of responsibilities. People are putting in far for effort for far less pay, and are essentially blamed when they inevitably burn out. Companies have pathetic "wellbeing initiatives" to cure the disease they have caused themselves and wonder openly about how to stem attrition, when they're essentially driving people out of their company with a whip. None of this is your fault, look for a new job and get out of there and, with any luck, they are not the utter psychopaths you are currently employed by

Maybe, I think I’m going to look into leaving ASAP

I think burnout is a big thing, additionally is people are getting fed up of being treated as commodities which companies can just dump as soon as they’re used up as you say. Much as it disgusts me, my treatment doesn’t surprise me working for a large American financial institution, not exactly known for their humanity or compassion like

I think there is a thing happening, where companies realised their employees got too much power during lockdowns with WFH, absence and now they are trying to go the other way

the company i work for is a bit like that at the moment, they're doing this whole message of 'we only want the best and if its not for you, feel free to leave' and it's so embarrassing on a few different levels and they just don't realise - people just aren't going to leave without finding another job so you're making people more apathetic, and there are actual people I work with who have been motivated by this and now doing above their role for free. I was in a meeting recently about people being rewarded for coming up with new ideas and someone with a normal job said 'if they are coming up with ideas for money, should they be here? a 'thank you' in a PDR should be enough'. I said there is nothing wrong about saying you come to work for money and she said 'but you won't get anywhere' and she was actually serious lol

its interesting to see who falls for stuff like this, it seems to be the ones who started at the company at 16/18 or something and have been proper institutionalised.

the team i manage, who are pretty much all under 40 and university educated (or just normal), are having none of it. i was in a management thing and i got told personally to stop being so 'friendly' with my team (because i talk to them normally and don't want an office) and then i reminded them that no one had left our team in 6 years, and that everyone was really good and they had nothing to say back hahaha. it's enjoyable as our team are probably the biggest and most knowledgeable, so they kind of just have to let us carry on rebelling.

not sure why i've said all of this but i'm on my 2nd sick day and i'm really bored

I meant to post it in @verreauxi's corporate overreach thread, but even though there is a lot of talk about the severe stagnation of wages in relation to the cost of living, there's another more insidious type of inflation happening inside the work place. Companies have never had more access to the granular metrics of the workplace and can basically bean-count every minute you're in there. This leads to obvious issues, like lumping more and more work on to people to achieve the unrealistic objectives that they have set.

Where people were once able to manage their own discretionary time in the workplace, they are now forced to expend unprecedented amounts of mental effort just to fulfill their burgeoning array of responsibilities. People are putting in far for effort for far less pay, and are essentially blamed when they inevitably burn out. Companies have pathetic "wellbeing initiatives" to cure the disease they have caused themselves and wonder openly about how to stem attrition, when they're essentially driving people out of their company with a whip. None of this is your fault, look for a new job and get out of there and, with any luck, they are not the utter psychopaths you are currently employed by
ha, yes fairly similar to what I meant

I think there is a thing happening, where companies realised their employees got too much power during lockdowns with WFH, absence and now they are trying to go the other way

the company i work for is a bit like that at the moment, they're doing this whole message of 'we only want the best and if its not for you, feel free to leave' and it's so embarrassing on a few different levels and they just don't realise - people just aren't going to leave without finding another job so you're making people more apathetic, and there are actual people I work with who have been motivated by this and now doing above their role for free. I was in a meeting recently about people being rewarded for coming up with new ideas and someone with a normal job said 'if they are coming up with ideas for money, should they be here? a 'thank you' in a PDR should be enough'. I said there is nothing wrong about saying you come to work for money and she said 'but you won't get anywhere' and she was actually serious lol

its interesting to see who falls for stuff like this, it seems to be the ones who started at the company at 16/18 or something and have been proper institutionalised.

the team i manage, who are pretty much all under 40 and university educated (or just normal), are having none of it. i was in a management thing and i got told personally to stop being so 'friendly' with my team (because i talk to them normally and don't want an office) and then i reminded them that no one had left our team in 6 years, and that everyone was really good and they had nothing to say back hahaha. it's enjoyable as our team are probably the biggest and most knowledgeable, so they kind of just have to let us carry on rebelling.

not sure why i've said all of this but i'm on my 2nd sick day and i'm really bored
It’s exactly what you said which I highlighted. The situation I’m in is my TL who’s been there forever is trying to “prove she’s a leader” by coming down on me like a tonne of bricks for just requesting to work from home for a few weeks. I do a bunch of teaching stuff that no one else (at least at a relative level to me) is able to give, but the company don’t care about that because I don’t like working in the office

Morning all. I've posted quite a few times on this forum over the years. I find it a good support to know I'm not the only fella out there suffering!
Anyway, long term anxiety issues for me (about 12yrs now). Over the last 5 years I've experienced occasional heart palpitation feelings. Steadily got worse and now it can be from the moment I wake up these days. The GP says not to worry about them but sometimes it feels like my heart will leap out my chest!
Anyone similar? Anything work to stop it?
Thanks in advance

Morning all. I've posted quite a few times on this forum over the years. I find it a good support to know I'm not the only fella out there suffering!
Anyway, long term anxiety issues for me (about 12yrs now). Over the last 5 years I've experienced occasional heart palpitation feelings. Steadily got worse and now it can be from the moment I wake up these days. The GP says not to worry about them but sometimes it feels like my heart will leap out my chest!
Thanks in advance
Hi mate, I tend to get physical symptoms when I'm stressed/anxious. What works most for me is just get a physical exam from a Dr if necessary, and then when something serious/physical is ruled out then just try not to worry about it. Usually when I stop worrying about it it goes away soon enough. Sometimes a symptom feels really unpleasant, but if it's caused by anxiety its basically harmless so can be ignored. Works for me anyway.

Thanks in advance
Had similar myself a few years ago mate. Started to have regular panic attacks. First time I had one I thought it was a heart attack and ended up in A&E. Turned out I had high blood pressure. On medication now and have also had therapy for dealing with anxiety which have both helped massively.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it and start to feel better soon mate. I know how debilitating it can be.

Lord help me i'm posting again haha

GOT regulars might know me for having a bit of drink issue , well I had it under control for a good time

as previously stated my grandfather recently passed, and my cat is currently dying (i know, it;s like the book of job)

anyhow, i'm afraid to say I have had fallen off the wagon a bit , nothing as bad as it was, but still , it's tough

I have to hope Everton never go bust or else i won't be able to vent

GOT regulars might know me for having a bit of drink issue , well I had it under control for a good time

as previously stated my grandfather recently passed, and my cat is currently dying (i know, it;s like the book of job)

anyhow, i'm afraid to say I have had fallen off the wagon a bit , nothing as bad as it was, but still , it's tough

We all have our moments, and you have recognised one of yours. By definition that means you are currently in control. Cutting loose with a few beers and sacking tomorrow off for a bit of down time now is perfectly understandable. We can't carry the entire world all the time.
Hope your grand father didn't suffer, and your cat pulls through.
Worry serves nothing but itself, if you can put this into action let me know how cos I'll buy the first dose.
And Everton might be what's drawn us into this web of thieves, this rogues gallery, the collection of sorts, but it doesn't define us.

It can't rain everyday, and there's a new roof goin on our new stadium.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it mate (which might be making you drink more). You're clearly going through a crap time at the moment. you're noticing you're drinking more, even though it's less than before, which shows your habits are naturally moving in the right direction so that can still be seen as a positive

This is a song that has made me think about death in a different way since it came out, it might help, I don't know but from reading interviews with him etc he says that he felt thinking about death (of his wife) literally actually helped him a lot more, which more people don't do

Hope to find you well boys and girls of got. Not posted for a bit, this is the first time i have let anyone know this, a GOT exclusive if you like....🤣.Last March[2023] i felt a lump in the upper midline of my stomach, and because i am a male i ignored it.....naturally. My dad and older brother both died of liver cancer. Given those odds i am not too kean to pick up the phone to my doc. My appetite is in the bin,i have lost weight my poo looks like a cup of black coffee and 20 rennies wont shift my indigestion. I am scared to death of the answer not knowing is bliss.

Hope to find you well boys and girls of got. Not posted for a bit, this is the first time i have let anyone know this, a GOT exclusive if you like....🤣.Last March[2023] i felt a lump in the upper midline of my stomach, and because i am a male i ignored it.....naturally. My dad and older brother both died of liver cancer. Given those odds i am not too kean to pick up the phone to my doc. My appetite is in the bin,i have lost weight my poo looks like a cup of black coffee and 20 rennies wont shift my indigestion. I am scared to death of the answer not knowing is bliss.
Hi mate

Not a doctor here of course but what you're describing could be big standard gastritis, gall stones, hernia, cancer, or anything in between.

Not trying to be that fella but it doesn't really seem like you're that ignorant that something is wrong, and so your "not knowing is bliss" reads a little hollow. Many things are treatable, and earlier the better really.

Please seek help from your GP. I imagine it's incredibly scary, particularly with your related losses of your brother and father, but the first step is really important and maybe even the hardest, and you've already done that - you've admitted to yourself and us that something isn't right. Now, let's move the needle just a little further.

I believe in you, and we're all here for you no matter what the outcome. Sending you good, blue vibes from all the way out here.

h[2023] i felt a lump in the upper midline of my stomach, and because i am a male i ignored it.....naturally. My dad and older brother both died of liver cancer. Given those odds i am not too kean to pick up the phone to my doc. My appetite is in the bin,i have lost weight my poo looks like a cup of black coffee and 20 rennies wont shift my indigestion. I am scared to death of the answer not knowing is bliss.

I can only echo what @BigDunc'sFod has said above mate, can I also suggest that maybe you contact McMillan on one of their support lines and have a chat with one of their people ?

You can remain anonymous if you wish and I`m sure they`d give you some very good advice, as to how to over come your fears and get yourself examined.