Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

If only I could swallow my anxieties and fears of rejection and ask her if she wants to go for a coffee or summat

Mate, it is a fear that we all face and have to overcome at some point in our lives. It seems like you have things in common if you are chatting every time you meet, so why not ask her for a coffee? You don't need to make a big deal of it, just slip it into the conversation "It would be great if we could continue chatting outside of work, let's have a coffee/beer Sat/ Sunday or next time you're free?"

The fear of rejection is greater than rejection itself, and based on what you've said there's no reason to suspect she'd turn down the offer.

Good luck!

That's a really good joke there :D

Anyway, been crap lately - I've apparently failed an exam somehow, despite studying for a month, so this is a huge blow to me and just makes me feel like an absolute zero. I don't feel like I can actually face my parents and tell them this tbh. I've got an appeal/meeting with my personal advisor next week, so I'll wait for that before I off myself obviously. What a way to start my holidays as well.

Bright side of life right now - I have a very pretty colleague who is also Bulgarian and seems to very much enjoy the brief company with me before we change shifts and we end up talking for like 20-30 minutes or so every time. Might also just be me connecting invisible dots in my head though. If only I could swallow my anxieties and fears of rejection and ask her if she wants to go for a coffee or summat.

How's everyone else anyway? :)

want a piece of advice from someone who isnt exactly very chatty with the fairer sex?

just ask her out and if she says no then make a joke of it next time you see her. I managed to get by ok by being bold when i have needed to be, when girls 'weren't interested' in me in my own head. I know how it can hold you back as well in that department, all wonderful stories lol But my point is go for it, unless you guys are BFFs then you can laugh it off in the future, or you could really enjoy each others company for the next 40 years.

daft as it sounds either answer is going to be awkward for me.

Doesn't sound daft mate, but I'm guessing there are results which will effect you more though? Appreciate that the results will bring a change going forward, but you can deal with that over time?

want a piece of advice from someone who isnt exactly very chatty with the fairer sex?

just ask her out and if she says no then make a joke of it next time you see her. I managed to get by ok by being bold when i have needed to be, when girls 'weren't interested' in me in my own head. I know how it can hold you back as well in that department, all wonderful stories lol But my point is go for it, unless you guys are BFFs then you can laugh it off in the future, or you could really enjoy each others company for the next 40 years.

Good advice this.

I asked a girl (the girl in my profile pic) way out of my league (I thought) for a dance a quarter of a century ago, and we're still dancing today :D

Mate, it is a fear that we all face and have to overcome at some point in our lives. It seems like you have things in common if you are chatting every time you meet, so why not ask her for a coffee? You don't need to make a big deal of it, just slip it into the conversation "It would be great if we could continue chatting outside of work, let's have a coffee/beer Sat/ Sunday or next time you're free?"

The fear of rejection is greater than rejection itself, and based on what you've said there's no reason to suspect she'd turn down the offer.

Good luck!
"Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will"
Ask her out my man...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back