Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I actually think my doctor did take me seriously and the conversation I had with her left me feeling pretty hopeful.
I think the problem is the psychologist she referred me to doesn't think my problems are bad enough to be worthy of an appointment, hence the online course thing.

If I had to go back (and I plan to after the online course is finished) I think I would still see the same one and explain the situation to her.

It's weird though, I have the faintest suspicion that had I asked to try medication it would have been pretty easy to get a prescription.

And thanks for the reply!

There's a massive push on mental health at the mo mate, epscially for men. Don't be fobbed off. You know yourself better than anyone. I had to cut my first lot of counselling short as the counsellor was that bad she actually made things worse and I'd leave the place in a right state. If your Doc is any good he / she will listen and act .

Some incredible positives there, tremendous stuff. Small steps mate, don't fret too much about doing it all at once, it'll overwhelm you.

Re your Doctor. I would go and see another one at your surgery and ask that to be reffered to " inclusion matters ".

This is a government funded counselling service, you may have to wait 4- 6 wks for your first appt.

Hope this helps mate ?
inclusion matters is now talk Liverpool mate . I believe it's changed name a few times

So I seen my doctor, chatted for 5 or 10 minutes and she agreed that I had many of the symptoms of depression.
She referred me to a psychologist (wrote them a letter I think) and that was that.
It took over 2 weeks for the psychologist to reply, they rejected my referral and instead recommended I try an online self help program (I think it's called Beating the Blues or something).
I've looked it up and it reeks of "High School guidance teacher, draw a picture" crap.
I looked at the demo and I can't help but feel totally underwhelmed.
It feels to me that they haven't taken what I've said seriously and they think that their time is better spent on other patients (perhaps if they are more at risk).
Maybe they are right but the whole thing feels dismissive.
I'll give it a go & I'll do every online session but my hopes aren't particularly high that I'll feel anything other than patronised by the end of it.

In other news, I've made a fitness schedule that I've managed to stick to for well over a month now.
Up at 7am every Monday, Wednesday & Friday and pop down to the local gym.
At the start I could barely jog for 5 minutes without my chest burning, now I can jog for 15 minutes.
My hope is that I can add 5 minutes on every month.
It feels so good to realise you've just ran a mile and feel totally fine, other than some sweat.
Did my first bench press today as well, I had no idea the bar alone was so heavy!
I get a lot of satisfaction being able to tense and see muscles (even if they are tiny).
The only problem is that the high lasts only about as long as it takes me to get changed and drive home.

As well as fitness I've tried to work on my diet and overall health.
Cut out crisps and chocolate and replaced them with nuts, bananas and apples.
I don't need to lose weight (I probably need to gain weight really) but it feels good to know you're treating your body better.
Finally got rid of my seemingly permanent chapped lips too by using lip balm about a million times a day.

Still struggling with uni work though.
At times it feels totally overwhelming because I've left it all so late.
Still can't seem to force myself to care though.
It's such a weird situation, to know you are drowning but not really bothering to swim at the same time.

Apologies for the wall of text folks.
Main point here is that looking after your body is pretty rewarding, even if you still feel like crap the rest of the day.
I urge any of you to pick up walking/running or some really basic home fitness stuff, it could be the only bright spark in an otherwise dull day.
Loving all your efforts at self improvement right there mate :)
All I'll add for now to your awesome attempts at improving your nutrition is try to get as much soy/vegetable based protein into you as well. Not meat based. It has shown, above other health benefits, to improve moods, energy levels etc. And drink plenty of water to keep hydrated. Water and protein. Small steps. I can probably guarantee most people don't get their daily requirements of both. You'll feel better for it :)

Keep us updated. Use this place to keep you on track if you want.

I came off the prescribed meds a while ago and take 5-HTP instead. You can get it online or at Holland and Barrets. Have a read about it and consider it
Thanks mate, will have a look at it.

If it's the stuff I think it is I have taken something similar in the past - L - Tryphophan.

Gave me wild dreams !
Different things will work for different people, just remember to take care with over the counter/internet purchases.

For example, some people swear by St. John's wort, and that's fine but it can mess with your liver enzymes.

I'm not saying don't try them because they may work for you, just do it with care.

So I seen my doctor, chatted for 5 or 10 minutes and she agreed that I had many of the symptoms of depression.
She referred me to a psychologist (wrote them a letter I think) and that was that.
It took over 2 weeks for the psychologist to reply, they rejected my referral and instead recommended I try an online self help program (I think it's called Beating the Blues or something).
I've looked it up and it reeks of "High School guidance teacher, draw a picture" crap.
I looked at the demo and I can't help but feel totally underwhelmed.
It feels to me that they haven't taken what I've said seriously and they think that their time is better spent on other patients (perhaps if they are more at risk).
Maybe they are right but the whole thing feels dismissive.
I'll give it a go & I'll do every online session but my hopes aren't particularly high that I'll feel anything other than patronised by the end of it.

In other news, I've made a fitness schedule that I've managed to stick to for well over a month now.
Up at 7am every Monday, Wednesday & Friday and pop down to the local gym.
At the start I could barely jog for 5 minutes without my chest burning, now I can jog for 15 minutes.
My hope is that I can add 5 minutes on every month.
It feels so good to realise you've just ran a mile and feel totally fine, other than some sweat.
Did my first bench press today as well, I had no idea the bar alone was so heavy!
I get a lot of satisfaction being able to tense and see muscles (even if they are tiny).
The only problem is that the high lasts only about as long as it takes me to get changed and drive home.

As well as fitness I've tried to work on my diet and overall health.
Cut out crisps and chocolate and replaced them with nuts, bananas and apples.
I don't need to lose weight (I probably need to gain weight really) but it feels good to know you're treating your body better.
Finally got rid of my seemingly permanent chapped lips too by using lip balm about a million times a day.

Still struggling with uni work though.
At times it feels totally overwhelming because I've left it all so late.
Still can't seem to force myself to care though.
It's such a weird situation, to know you are drowning but not really bothering to swim at the same time.

Apologies for the wall of text folks.
Main point here is that looking after your body is pretty rewarding, even if you still feel like crap the rest of the day.
I urge any of you to pick up walking/running or some really basic home fitness stuff, it could be the only bright spark in an otherwise dull day.
Can totally relate to how you feel about your uni work. Did an MA last year and just couldn't engage myself and didn't care which spiralled into feeling worse. I did get counselling and prescribed anti depressants halfway through my course as a lot of things came to a head at once.
If you can, try going private as I had to wait a few months to see anyone and to be honest even when I did I felt like they thought There was not a lot wrong with me.
I spoke openly to my tutors and was able to get extensions and if I'm being honest I reckon they upped some of my marks on the sly as well

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back