Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Fully agreed. When you're going through tough phases or under a lot of stress (as I am now like) it's good to get some good habits and get into the gym, or any exercise really, swerve the alcohol best you can and get an early night. Small things but lots of small thing help make things better.
This is very good advice - I like a pint now and then so I'm certainly not going to tell anyone to not drink, but alcohol can dramatically enhance stress and anxiety, far more than you'd initially realise.

I'm going to sound a bit 'modern man' here and I don't mean to, but use alcohol to enhance your life when you're feeling well, rather than as a crutch, because that crutch will break and will just make things worse.

I'll be honest folks, I speak from experience here and I learned that the hard way.

TLDR ( lol ) - Have a beer when you feel well, avoid it when you feel low.

This is very good advice - I like a pint now and then so I'm certainly not going to tell anyone to not drink, but alcohol can dramatically enhance stress and anxiety, far more than you'd initially realise.

I'm going to sound a bit 'modern man' here and I don't mean to, but use alcohol to enhance your life when you're feeling well, rather than as a crutch, because that crutch will break and will just make things worse.

I'll be honest folks, I speak from experience here and I learned that the hard way.

Spot on. Alcohol and in particular hangovers affect the " mood " chemicals in your brain - it's a depressant.

From experience I can say that a hangover whilst depressed or suffering from anxiety problems is horrendous and the temptation to start drinking again to make it go away is enormous .

Moderation is the key .

The comments on here are correct, I suffer from depression as per my previous posts indicate, however at extreme times, 40 minutes in the gym is enough to help my mindset. Unfortunately at 48 I dont play football anymore but that 90 minutes used to be my saviour, I didnt think about anything else just playing the very best I could. The team changing rooms and banter also helped with my mindset.

Now I manage its not the same feeling but still on a Saturday I am thinking about the match, we have a tough fixture today and we are second from bottom, my Saturday night is defined by my teams result and Evertons result unfortunately.

Get out, get some air, get exercising, the benefits pay off massively for me.

The comments on here are correct, I suffer from depression as per my previous posts indicate, however at extreme times, 40 minutes in the gym is enough to help my mindset. Unfortunately at 48 I dont play football anymore but that 90 minutes used to be my saviour, I didnt think about anything else just playing the very best I could. The team changing rooms and banter also helped with my mindset.

Now I manage its not the same feeling but still on a Saturday I am thinking about the match, we have a tough fixture today and we are second from bottom, my Saturday night is defined by my teams result and Evertons result unfortunately.

I have problems similar. I have obsessive/intrusive thoughts about all sorts of things that lead me to massive anxiety problems. Initially about health, then relationships, now since a friend killed himself last year I constantly worry about how easy it is to commit suicide, looking a knives, central reservations etc... I am getting help, riding the waves etc... But relating it back to your point, I wasn't at the gym last night having been 3 nights previous and I noticed how much more anxious and how much harder the intrusive thoughts were hitting me. It's a natural way to feel good, the endorphins do wonders.

On the excercise theme chaps, give yoga a whirl! It doesn't have to be a class just download an app! I was a committed amateur bodybuilder until I injured my back, got into yoga and find it helps with injury prevention and flexibility. I do it on my 'active rest days' and it gives me the boost I need of endorphins and a feeling I have done something worthwhile!

On the excercise theme chaps, give yoga a whirl! It doesn't have to be a class just download an app! I was a committed amateur bodybuilder until I injured my back, got into yoga and find it helps with injury prevention and flexibility. I do it on my 'active rest days' and it gives me the boost I need of endorphins and a feeling I have done something worthwhile!

Pilates is also very good too.

100% agree

I was on fluoxetine for about 9 months, really helped for a about 3/5 months. The rest was sheer hell.

I was in bed at every opportunity, found it like awaking from a coma every morning ( I took my medication before sleep, cos they made me so drowsy and literally unable to communicate of a day time if I took them in the morning) went cold turkey last two weeks ( just stopped) and I know you are not supposed to.

But I've had absolutely boundless happiness since, stil tired of a morning but no where near as bad as it was

I was on fluoxetine for about 9 months, really helped for a about 3/5 months. The rest was sheer hell.

I was in bed at every opportunity, found it like awaking from a coma every morning ( I took my medication before sleep, cos they made me so drowsy and literally unable to communicate of a day time if I took them in the morning) went cold turkey last two weeks ( just stopped) and I know you are not supposed to.

But I've had absolutely boundless happiness since, stil tired of a morning but no where near as bad as it was

Fluoxetine is another name for Prozac Bry ( if you didn't know already ).

Should've gone to the Docs and changed meds mate. It's hit and miss. I changed twice before finding one that agreed with me. Anti Depressants shouldn't make you drowsy under any circumstances.

Boss post.

Balance tough here.

Great post mate.
+10!

Fluoxetine is another name for Prozac Bry ( if you didn't know already ).

Should've gone to the Docs and changed meds mate. It's hit and miss. I changed twice before finding one that agreed with me. Anti Depressants shouldn't make you drowsy under any circumstances.
Busy couple of weeks + crap doctors don't encourage that sort of conversation but i intend on it ASAP.

Busy couple of weeks + crap doctors don't encourage that sort of conversation but i intend on it ASAP.

I know where you're coming from mate. One of my GPs kept me on sedatives for over two years without reviewing me. Even when I went to him and told him I was worried about becoming dependant on them he kept me on them. Eventually I went to see a different GP who took me off them immediately which resulted in a horrendous cold turkey. The GP who took me off them wouldn't criticise the other GP though !

Moral of the story is if your not happy see someone else. It's really hit and miss mate, all anti depressants do slightly different things. It's just finding the right one for you.

As stated above, I know sometimes folk are scared of 'being on pills' but if you need them, antidepressants can literally be life savers. Also, don't assume you'll be on them for life - you may not be.

Again, like everything else, it's about finding the right treatment for you.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back