Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Thanks mate. Yes you write sense.She has recovered well, but I have that feeling that there is not that 100% comfort with life, loves, meeting people etc. At times I feel her anxiety levels come and go.
Appreciate your advice :)
Been somewhere similar to wher you are now mate! Sister got corneered by a gang of beauts in town who showed her their knobs told her she was gagging for it etc? They didnt touch her thank God, but she spent the whole time thinking she was going to get raped! Turned her from a cocky mare into a shadow of my big sis! That was two years ago and she still gets tense if she is surrounded by men she doesnt know, but we have found it is the small, subtle things that help her most! Telling her it is fine, does zip! But touching her hand, or her shoulder, asking her a question etc. Usually diverts her mind for long enough for her to master herself! She has actually told me that me asking her football questions out of the blue works really well! (Such as did mike lyons ever play alongside derek mountfield). obviously this does her no good when she is on her own, but she has become quite skilled at avoiding being surrounded when she is out and about thank god! Truly hope she conquers it bud!

Been somewhere similar to wher you are now mate! Sister got corneered by a gang of beauts in town who showed her their knobs told her she was gagging for it etc? They didnt touch her thank God, but she spent the whole time thinking she was going to get raped! Turned her from a cocky mare into a shadow of my big sis! That was two years ago and she still gets tense if she is surrounded by men she doesnt know, but we have found it is the small, subtle things that help her most! Telling her it is fine, does zip! But touching her hand, or her shoulder, asking her a question etc. Usually diverts her mind for long enough for her to master herself! She has actually told me that me asking her football questions out of the blue works really well! (Such as did mike lyons ever play alongside derek mountfield). obviously this does her no good when she is on her own, but she has become quite skilled at avoiding being surrounded when she is out and about thank god! Truly hope she conquers it bud!
Thanks mate. I posted that as I have been wondering for some time if this is going to possibly be an issue of trusting people fully again permanently.
It can be frustrating as hell for us looking from the outside, but when thinking about how they are feeling and what they are going through, we have no choice but to just be there when needed and support.
Hope you get that big sister back mate ;)

It may sound an obvious question but has your sister had any form of therapy or counselling mate ?.

There are women's support groups in Liverpool who are dedicated to supporting victims of this sort of crime.

What they did to her is a serious criminal offence.

Very minor in comparison to most but just wanted to ask if this was familiar to anyone..... Posted on here a few times, suffered couple of bouts of depression/ anxiety in last 3 years and pretty much sorted it through CBT. Anyway, been in bed for 4/5 days with horrible bout of flu topped off with a delightful chest infection. Definitely felt my mental health suffer, old feelings of 'doomsday thinking' , very negative outlook on things. Am hopeful it's just linked to feeling so ill and being stuck in bed/ indoors for days on end with no exercise......

Very minor in comparison to most but just wanted to ask if this was familiar to anyone..... Posted on here a few times, suffered couple of bouts of depression/ anxiety in last 3 years and pretty much sorted it through CBT. Anyway, been in bed for 4/5 days with horrible bout of flu topped off with a delightful chest infection. Definitely felt my mental health suffer, old feelings of 'doomsday thinking' , very negative outlook on things. Am hopeful it's just linked to feeling so ill and being stuck in bed/ indoors for days on end with no exercise......
The lack of exercise can be a real trigger for some people mate, let alone the natural feeling of being down because you are ill.

Hopefully as the infection clears you'll find your mood does too x

Any books/movies/music that you find particularly cheerful that can help lighten the mood whilst you are still ill?

It's a mixture of your physical illness being combined with " cabin fever " mate. Once you feel well enough go to somewhere you like, a park etc and have a brisk walk. Take the dog of you've got one !

Physical health can impact on mental health. Give yourself the time to recover, and you're anxieties may resolve themselves.

Don't try to rush a recovery, as this will only pile unneccesary pressure on yourself. Give yourself a chance and don't expect too much from yourself
Agreed - baby steps on this will get move you along pretty decently - and don't neglect to look back and see when you have made progress - there are times we'll look ahead at all we have to do, and forget to look at all that we have done.

Hi mate
Flu takes it out of anybody and a bout of bad flu will knock you sideways.
Once your immune system is at a low point, it will affect you in every department.
Keep warm and ride the storm, once it passes you will fell better health wise and your mood will improve with it.

I'm new on here but saw this thread and can relate to a lot that's been said. Suffered with depression/anxiety since I was about 16. For a lot of people they don't understand what depression is and how it affects your life until you've been through it or have someone close who has been through the struggle. The not wanting to get out of bed, constant negative and worrying thoughts. I had CBT, which was provided after seeing my doctor and a mental health nurse. I have to take Mitrazapine daily, also taken Citalopram before too. If you are struggling quietly don't, talk to someone and let your feelings known by someone close to you or a GP. I've been in a really really bad state and you think there is no way out but there is, i'm looking now to come off my tablets. Don't let depression control your life, let yourself control your depression.

Had my two week review yesterday and decided to stay on the same dose and same brand of anti-depressants, only downsides are a tiredness in the mornings making it harder for me to get up which is improving and small loss of libido issue which he said should come back too.

Exactly same boat as this. Feel much perkier for the most part. I've been taking them when I get up and it seems to negate that tiredness somewhat.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back