Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Got a good friend who is going through some [Poor language removed] right now. He's been telling me as such. Thing is, with depression/whatever, you don't TYPICALLY let people know about it. Keep on inviting him out and such, my girlfriend likes him as well along with letting him know if he needs anything to let me know. I don't care if it's at 0230 and Ive been drinking all day. I've lost a few people very close to me (along with almost myself) to this bullshit. Just hoping it's a blip or I can help him in any way/shape/form.

I absolutely deplore depression/mental crap.

I have done some reading on the matter but would like the good folk in here to share their thoughts.

Someone very special to me has "suffered" with anxiety a few years ago after an incident where she was "attacked" and had possessions stolen from her while she was in a taxi of all places.

She had taken medication prescribed to her for around six months as advised and then was taken off.

My question/thoughts. Does this anxiety continue to linger for the long term? If she "gets over that specific incident" emotionally, will anxiety continue to rear its ugly head?

Going to take a leave of absence from this forum as it is triggering a lot of anxious feelings for me. Modsif you see me post again please ban me till the end of the season

I have done some reading on the matter but would like the good folk in here to share their thoughts.

Someone very special to me has "suffered" with anxiety a few years ago after an incident where she was "attacked" and had possessions stolen from her while she was in a taxi of all places.

She had taken medication prescribed to her for around six months as advised and then was taken off.

My question/thoughts. Does this anxiety continue to linger for the long term? If she "gets over that specific incident" emotionally, will anxiety continue to rear its ugly head?

I'm far from an expert on this but did she have any counselling too? My mum was traumatised by witnessing someone die of a heart attack and she was suffering a lot of anxiety through that. She had EMDR therapy which she said helped her a lot.

I'm far from an expert on this but did she have any counselling too? My mum was traumatised by witnessing someone die of a heart attack and she was suffering a lot of anxiety through that. She had EMDR therapy which she said helped her a lot.
No Billy I don't believe she had counselling. It's been around 3 years now since it occurred. I do get the feeling of anxieties in general since it occurred.

No Billy I don't believe she had counselling. It's been around 3 years now since it occurred. I do get the feeling of anxieties in general since it occurred.
Again I'm no expert but maybe some kind of counselling could help? From what I've heard/read, dealing with stuff like this with medication only is like treating the symptom but not the cause, but I'm sure there are other posters who could give more insight than me.

Mate, I'm no expert on this and everybody is different, a friend of my wife had a similar experience to the one you describe, and while she "recovered" pretty well things like seeing her attacker would set her back again and her anxiety would return. Being aware of this allows my wife to keep an eye on her, give her extra support when needed etc . As I say everybody will be different and I can't really answer your question , so my contribution is really to say do as my wife does , be aware that these things can last a long time, be triggered by certain events and provide support when needed. Actually, that last bit sounds a bit condescending, sorry, as you sound like the type who will do that anyway anyway, good luck.

Mate, I'm no expert on this and everybody is different, a friend of my wife had a similar experience to the one you describe, and while she "recovered" pretty well things like seeing her attacker would set her back again and her anxiety would return. Being aware of this allows my wife to keep an eye on her, give her extra support when needed etc . As I say everybody will be different and I can't really answer your question , so my contribution is really to say do as my wife does , be aware that these things can last a long time, be triggered by certain events and provide support when needed. Actually, that last bit sounds a bit condescending, sorry, as you sound like the type who will do that anyway anyway, good luck.
Thanks mate. Yes you write sense.She has recovered well, but I have that feeling that there is not that 100% comfort with life, loves, meeting people etc. At times I feel her anxiety levels come and go.
Appreciate your advice :)

Don't want to sound like I know anything about anything here, but many people who have been attacked suffer from PTSD and require therapy to help them get over it.

It's something that remains a part of them for the rest of their lives but with the help of trained professionals can learn to deal with the emotions/anxiety that it causes.

Don't want to sound like I know anything about anything here, but many people who have been attacked suffer from PTSD and require therapy to help them get over it.

It's something that remains a part of them for the rest of their lives but with the help of trained professionals can learn to deal with the emotions/anxiety that it causes.
Thanks mate. You make sense. It is what I feel as well. Just wanted to get others' opinions on my thoughts.

I think it depends on the person, my missus got mugged a few years back and was knocked unconscious in the process, aside from a few weeks of feeling a bit anxious about going anywhere on her own she's completely over it and I've honestly never seen her show any signs of it having affected her long term.

I'm not sure that really helps and I'm not suggesting that your friend will be the same but just an example that it doesn't necessarily always cause long term issues.

I think it depends on the person, my missus got mugged a few years back and was knocked unconscious in the process, aside from a few weeks of feeling a bit anxious about going anywhere on her own she's completely over it and I've honestly never seen her show any signs of it having affected her long term.

I'm not sure that really helps and I'm not suggesting that your friend will be the same but just an example that it doesn't necessarily always cause long term issues.
Thanks Bungle. I agree. It comes down to the individual in the end.
We just need to make sure they know they have us there for them when needed.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back