Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I have done some reading on the matter but would like the good folk in here to share their thoughts.

Someone very special to me has "suffered" with anxiety a few years ago after an incident where she was "attacked" and had possessions stolen from her while she was in a taxi of all places.

She had taken medication prescribed to her for around six months as advised and then was taken off.

My question/thoughts. Does this anxiety continue to linger for the long term? If she "gets over that specific incident" emotionally, will anxiety continue to rear its ugly head?

I've suffered from chronic anxiety problems for over a decade mate and still do to a certain extent. It's an area of pyschiatry that is chronically neglected imo due to it being very hard to treat and as such seems to be ignored to a certain extent.

After coming to the realisation that I wasnt really going to get a great deal of help for it I did a lot of reading up on it.

My problems stem from a sustained and horrific period of pressure in a job I had - burn out. Obvioulsy your friends circumstances are different, but I believe the overall problem could be the same.

When under severe pressure or very frightened the brain produces chemicals that are linked to " Fight or Flight ". We've all experienced it. It's like a massive high followed by a " come down " and shaking etc. It's like a turbo has gone off in your head. It's your brain boosting your body to run for your life.

From what I've read if the shock is big enough or the period of severe pressure is long enough, that the persons brain can almost become " stuck " in the moment and continues to produce these chemicals despite everything being fine. This is definitely one of the causes of anxiety. It sounds like what is happening to your friend.

When I was at my worst, I couldn't sit down and used to pace, I'd chain smoke, couldn't concentrate long enough to even read a page of a book, had mad temper outburst over nothing at all, appetite was all over the place, couldn't sleep even though I was exhausted. Any of these sound like your friend ?

My suggestions would be - read up on fight or flight linked anxiety. Also therapy does help some people, but it's not for everyone. Read up on diet to, things like Vitamin B12, Zinc and Magnesium have been shown to help, also excersise too.
Unfortunately I don't know of any prescription based medication to treat anxiety that isn't habit forming and I'm surprised you're friend was on it for 6mths as that's well long enough to become hooked .

Natural stuff like Valerian root can help too, but shouldn't be taken without consulting the doc first if the person is taking anything else.

In a nutshell the persons brain almost needs to be rebooted to get rid of chronic anxiety, which can be done through therapy or like me, removing all stress triggers from my life as much as possible. Obviously that's not something that's always possible for everyone .

Hope this helps ?

I've suffered from chronic anxiety problems for over a decade mate and still do to a certain extent. It's an area of pyschiatry that is chronically neglected imo due to it being very hard to treat and as such seems to be ignored to a certain extent.

After coming to the realisation that I wasnt really going to get a great deal of help for it I did a lot of reading up on it.

My problems stem from a sustained and horrific period of pressure in a job I had - burn out. Obvioulsy your friends circumstances are different, but I believe the overall problem could be the same.

When under severe pressure or very frightened the brain produces chemicals that are linked to " Fight or Flight ". We've all experienced it. It's like a massive high followed by a " come down " and shaking etc. It's like a turbo has gone off in your head. It's your brain boosting your body to run for your life.

From what I've read if the shock is big enough or the period of severe pressure is long enough, that the persons brain can almost become " stuck " in the moment and continues to produce these chemicals despite everything being fine. This is definitely one of the causes of anxiety. It sounds like what is happening to your friend.

When I was at my worst, I couldn't sit down and used to pace, I'd chain smoke, couldn't concentrate long enough to even read a page of a book, had mad temper outburst over nothing at all, appetite was all over the place, couldn't sleep even though I was exhausted. Any of these sound like your friend ?

My suggestions would be - read up on fight or flight linked anxiety. Also therapy does help some people, but it's not for everyone. Read up on diet to, things like Vitamin B12, Zinc and Magnesium have been shown to help, also excersise too.
Unfortunately I don't know of any prescription based medication to treat anxiety that isn't habit forming and I'm surprised you're friend was on it for 6mths as that's well long enough to become hooked .

Natural stuff like Valerian root can help too, but shouldn't be taken without consulting the doc first if the person is taking anything else.

In a nutshell the persons brain almost needs to be rebooted to get rid of chronic anxiety, which can be done through therapy or like me, removing all stress triggers from my life as much as possible. Obviously that's not something that's always possible for everyone .

Hope this helps ?
Great post once again my man. Thanks. Very informative and helping me to understand her better. :)

I'm alright mate, just football gets a bit too much

Mods please disregard my previous post, it was all a bit too much. Fine now
I think football is a big part of our lives and at times it does take over
But sometimes letting of a little steam on the forums may help, as far better than bottling it up
I reckon the Mods will be busy in issuing thread bans over the next couple of days...I reckon I maybe in that bunch.

All I will say just look at the positives in life, and football will fall down the list

I think football is a big part of our lives and at times it does take over
But sometimes letting of a little steam on the forums may help, as far better than bottling it up
I reckon the Mods will be busy in issuing thread bans over the next couple of days...I reckon I maybe in that bunch.

All I will say just look at the positives in life, and football will fall down the list
Especially when your team is mediocre ;)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back