Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Excellent by the club

Time to Talk Day takes place tomorrow and Everton Football Club is encouraging the nation to talk about mental health by promoting the message that ‘talking about mental health doesn’t need to be difficult and can make a big difference’.

For the home game against Newcastle United tonight the Club will be embracing the opportunity to promote Time to Talk Day. This will be the first time a Premier League club has dedicated a themed matchday to break the stigma around mental health.

Everton’s players will be wearing specially designed Time to Talk t-shirts for the warm up which will be picked up by over 100 broadcasters who will be beaming the game around the world. The Club’s big screens, will be highlighting the work carried out by Everton in the Community in the area of mental health wellbeing. These messages will be played to the near 40,000 crowd prior to kick-off and during half-time.

Physical health can impact on mental health.

This. My mum (early 70s) is showing the first signs of dementia and it's killing me inside. The doctors are really telling us to get her more active physically as well as mentally.

It's so hard to see in front of your own eyes. Not sure if dementia is part of the thinking of this thread but it is just a horrific thing to witness in a loved one.

Until maybe 5 years ago my mum ran a busy family business with my dad. They sold out and retired and it's just been slowly downhill since. She used to be so sharp and intelligent. She came from a very poor background but put herself through university and got a first class degree when it was a genuine rarity.

It's started now with her forgetting every day things but a turning point seemed to be last week when she seemed to realise it herself and cried out in anguish.

The stress and upset of this is definitely getting to me to. It's just so hard to deal with and so incredibly unfair.

There's no telling how quickly things will evolve now. Every minute is so precious. I've changed my work plans to try and stay with her more but it feels like too little too late.

This. My mum (early 70s) is showing the first signs of dementia and it's killing me inside. The doctors are really telling us to get her more active physically as well as mentally.

It's so hard to see in front of your own eyes. Not sure if dementia is part of the thinking of this thread but it is just a horrific thing to witness in a loved one.

Until maybe 5 years ago my mum ran a busy family business with my dad. They sold out and retired and it's just been slowly downhill since. She used to be so sharp and intelligent. She came from a very poor background but put herself through university and got a first class degree when it was a genuine rarity.

It's started now with her forgetting every day things but a turning point seemed to be last week when she seemed to realise it herself and cried out in anguish.

The stress and upset of this is definitely getting to me to. It's just so hard to deal with and so incredibly unfair.

There's no telling how quickly things will evolve now. Every minute is so precious. I've changed my work plans to try and stay with her more but it feels like too little too late.
It's a killer isn't it mate?
I have a close Uncle suffering with dementia now for over 3 years. Progressively getting worse.
I can understand why they call it The Slow Death. Heartbreaking to see them just get worse over time.
All you can do is spend time with your mom. Be very patient as it just as difficult for family members mate. You are going to have to be very patient. Talk to people. Write in here. Just don't bottle your emotions up.

this is indeed part of the thinking of this thread. it scares me to death. after radiotherapy I was warned that I would forget things but my memory is terrible now and I sometimes wonder about dementia but hopefully that is me just being stupid. it was horrible watching my granddad go through it so I understand what you're going through. all the best to you.

Make sure you look after your own mental health mate. So many emotions for you to try and deal with going through something like this so look after yourself.

I read that with sadness mate but I hope to give u a little hope... My lovely old Nan was diagnosed with dementia 9 years ago aged 82. She was quickly put on meds to slow it down and up until 5 years ago still managed to live alone. I won't lie to u the last 2/3 years have been hard but there is still a glimmer of her there even now at 91. Hopefully it's been diagnosed very early and the meds will mean ur mum has many happy years left and the dementia is very gradual.

I read that with sadness mate but I hope to give u a little hope... My lovely old Nan was diagnosed with dementia 9 years ago aged 82. She was quickly put on meds to slow it down and up until 5 years ago still managed to live alone. I won't lie to u the last 2/3 years have been hard but there is still a glimmer of her there even now at 91. Hopefully it's been diagnosed very early and the meds will mean ur mum has many happy years left and the dementia is very gradual.

Really appreciate that mate. But she's literally just gone 72. A couple of years back she was running a half decent little business whilst my.dad would skive any opportunity to watch football or sneek off to the golf course.

I'm lucky I've never lost anyone close at all. I had all these plans to take her places (or at least pay for her) that she always talked about but never went. I took her out for the day last weekend and mentioned Rome as somewhere she hadn't been for years and maybe I could take her there along with her sister for a long weekend in May or June. She didn't register it and changed the subject to cake (we were in starbucks). Going back a while she'd have discussed it like.mad and got me on my phone to book it there and then.

Also my dad is finding this all really hard. My mum was always the tough/smart one.

She's on meds now but they make her really drowsy so it's difficult to see any good there at the minute.

Really appreciate that mate. But she's literally just gone 72. A couple of years back she was running a half decent little business whilst my.dad would skive any opportunity to watch football or sneek off to the golf course.

I'm lucky I've never lost anyone close at all. I had all these plans to take her places (or at least pay for her) that she always talked about but never went. I took her out for the day last weekend and mentioned Rome as somewhere she hadn't been for years and maybe I could take her there along with her sister for a long weekend in May or June. She didn't register it and changed the subject to cake (we were in starbucks). Going back a while she'd have discussed it like.mad and got me on my phone to book it there and then.

Also my dad is finding this all really hard. My mum was always the tough/smart one.

She's on meds now but they make her really drowsy so it's difficult to see any good there at the minute.

Does she have a designated nurse mate, or is it still too early ?

There are a lot of support groups and information out there. You should be able to get this from the nurse or doctor ?

If you're not at this stage yet, have a look online for support groups. Take any help you can get, as it if it takes even a tiny bit of pressure of you and your family that'll help.

My mates mum is in the middle stages and it's heartbreaking seeing her and his dad isn't coping too well. It's something
that affects the whole family. My heart goes out to you mate.

Had a follow up visit with the bloke who's been helping me through things and he said "There's not a lot more I can do for you now."

Basically, he's helped me through my little drama & seen me out the other side. It's not like a cure or anything, but there's nothing more to work through.

I can only urge & reiterate what many have said on here. If you're in a dark place, give talking to a Professional a go. If you've tried previously & were not happy with the experience, try another one. Honestly, just allowing yourself to open up and, yes, even shed a tear or two, can be such a liberating experience.

;)

Had a follow up visit with the bloke who's been helping me through things and he said "There's not a lot more I can do for you now."

Basically, he's helped me through my little drama & seen me out the other side. It's not like a cure or anything, but there's nothing more to work through.

I can only urge & reiterate what many have said on here. If you're in a dark place, give talking to a Professional a go. If you've tried previously & were not happy with the experience, try another one. Honestly, just allowing yourself to open up and, yes, even shed a tear or two, can be such a liberating experience.

;)
Winning!

;)
This is marvelous - working with someone who connects with you and is also realistic about what you can accomplish in your time together is a terrific thing.

Keep moving forward & make sure you do some good "check-ins" with yourself.

I want to emphasize this, I am not regularly an "exerciser", but I really feel it helps to lift your mood if needed. Modern research suppors this as well. Staying indoors over longer periods, at home especially, can bring forward the wrong mindset.
Fully agreed. When you're going through tough phases or under a lot of stress (as I am now like) it's good to get some good habits and get into the gym, or any exercise really, swerve the alcohol best you can and get an early night. Small things but lots of small thing help make things better.

Fully agreed. When you're going through tough phases or under a lot of stress (as I am now like) it's good to get some good habits and get into the gym, or any exercise really, swerve the alcohol best you can and get an early night. Small things but lots of small thing help make things better.
Can't agree more mate.

I have been on a regime of running 5 to 6 days a week, haven't touched a drop since my birthday in October (I am actually out for drinks tonight and am already thinking how I can cut back for the night) , in bed by midnight and up by 6.

Absolute focus on nutrition (again, I am lucky as it is my industry). But never forget wellness is 80% nutrition 20% exercise.

Can't stress how much better I am feeling.

Now I know that not everyone can do what I do, but try and find a balance that works for you.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back