Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Erm, no doctor or councillor has ever been able to give someone a caution to the best of my memory. Just saying.

Although the current wait list is a scandal, if you are honest with your Doc and lay it all on the line there may be a fast track solution they can sort for you, but it might mean putting yourself in their hands wholey, and it sounds like there are trust issues so it's rock and a hard place stuff.

Not gonna pry about friends and family, maybe reaching out in that direction might be a way to get onto some sort of terms with the current set of problems, they might even come down the Docs with you for a bit of support.
The nurse in charge of the ward phoned the police and reported me for damaging the ceiling where i tried to hang myself from, and i got a caution. Why would i make that up mate?

The nurse in charge of the ward phoned the police and reported me for damaging the ceiling where i tried to hang myself from, and i got a caution. Why would i make that up mate?

Ok mate, so the nurse did her job and the police cautioned you. Rodger, over and out. Mental health services have it difficult enough. Ta.

Can't remember who said it, but it's a great quote about depression - " outside I,m smiling and inside I,m crying ". That's the thing with mental illness, you can't see into someone's head.

pretty much how i feel ha. i'm sure everyone in work would say i'm the least likeliest to be depressed, but my life has nothing with it at the moment. i'm not someone who likes being single and this online dating malarky don't seem to be working ha - nothing worse than getting to know a girl who wants to meet up and then all of a sudden nothing.

I cant imagine any psychiatric ward reporting damage caused in a suicide attempt to the police nor the police arresting you and interviewing you about it.

This thread has the word help in its title, and im being accused of wasting the NHS' time on a depression related issue. Surely makes a mokery of the thread?
Getting snappy will help no one.

Equally, no one has brought this attitude to this thread before. Please remain calm. No one has accused you of wasting time.

See your GP, I feel that is the best advice for you right now.

Thought using this thread might help, i was quite clearly wrong. Why would i make up a story about what happened to me on a psychiatric ward ffs?

I don't think anyone is doubting you here. Sounds like you're in a very tough spot. And depression, while everyone knows what it is and how bad it can be, is also very personal. Your pain is not ours, hence we can only offer fairly generic advice, not advice tailored to what you might actually need. But depression can be rough and destructive. And unfortunately, you won't just snap out of it. It's all baby steps in terms of dealing with it. Set small goals: go for a walk/run (vigorous exercise can clear the mind), reach out to a friend, try to get outside each day, etc. Do not drink as it will truly make it worse. Actively try to combat negative thoughts. It can seem like everyone is against you--they are not. Conquering negative thoughts is a huge step toward getting out of your situation. And silly as it sounds, if you own a pet (cat or dog) petting an animal actually has been shown to reduce anxiety and bring on better thoughts. There are lots of internet resources out there for dealing with depression. Take it up as a challenge to knock this sh_t back; it will involve you stepping outside yourself, as if you are a coaching someone else. But do try. And reach out to friends in the real world; internet forums are too impersonal to get a good connection with someone. Best of luck to you.

Fair enough, wrongly worded, a psychiatric ùnit is probably gonna contain suicidal people. Was the nurses job not to help make me feel better?

I have a number of replies in mind, but none of them are really any good or in the spirit of the thread. So, I'll back out now.

Give your GP a go, not every mental health unit is the same, if you can make a reach out to family for some support and maybe they'll come along to the Doc's with you. Best of luck mate, not treating people as automatic enemies is the way forward - but seeing that from within it is exceptionally difficult.

Getting snappy will help no one.

Equally, no one hast this attitude to this thread before. Please remain calm. No one has accused you of wasting time.

See your GP, I feel that is the best advice for you right now.
Ok pal, apologise if i come across as 'snappy', like i said before, i understand my depth was probably inappropriate. Will look elsewhere for help

Ok pal, apologise if i come across as 'snappy', like i said before, i understand my depth was probably inappropriate. Will look elsewhere for help
Have you not read the thread? It's full of similar tales, you're clearly not alone.

Help is always available, but only if you're willing to accept it.

**********Editted*******.

Well, safe not sorry, and it's not fair to the rest of the thread either. If a family or friend of mine was put in a psych unit that had ceiling fixtures and makeshift ropes available I'd have a claim in on their behalf quicker than night follows day. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back