Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

A bit low tonight.

Under a bit of pressure at the moment.

A few disappointments.

Everton going out on penalties. You can imagine what that felt like.

Sometimes I should take my own advice. But still.

Your right mate, you should take your own advice. I've seen some of what you've posted on here and it's spot on and makes a lot of sense. Regarding Everton, I know what you mean! I was going through a really tough patch when I was younger and it was Everton that I felt saved me from myself. So no matter how crap we are doing, I still find my love for the club never wavers and is as stronger than ever. It got me through dark times, going to games, breaking my routine up. Its fair to say I absolutely lived for football. So even though a defeat hurts and that hurt should never diminish, for me, the rough times will be outweighed by one quality moment, one pure adrenalin rush,whether that be a goal, 3 points, a performance.

Sorry for going off on one there, just wanted to share what got me through some tough times in my life and it's one thing I can guarantee we all have in common - Everton.

A bit low tonight.

A few disappointments.

It's always easy to ignore your own advice.

Try and imagine what you'd say to someone who's just posted what you did.

The place is all the better for having you on it mate, especially when it comes to FFP!! And your right mate, when we are all down after a game, it's better to get our grievances off our chest here and all together.

I'm telling you. Everton has cured people of depression more than its caused.

Its temporary setbacks.

I come on here to be with like minded and non like minded (@davek ) people.

One thing thats certain.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

I've always thought of Everton (since I've started to support them) as a bit of an equalizer in life. If my life is doing a bit too well, I have Everton being crap to settle me back down. If I'm feeling down but Everton are playing well, I can focus more on a positive influence in my life.

A bit low tonight.

A few disappointments.

tumblr_n9jimmGj2G1ssq2qqo1_400.gif

Just a thought, and it may well have been covered somewhere else in this thread, so apologies in advance if it has. I just wondered if there was something a step on from this wonderful forum for Blues with depression or just general struggles to get help from other Blues. Maybe Everton in the Community do something, or could be approached to do something, or even a general self-help group of guys off here just having a meet up once a month before or after a game at Goodison? For those with social anxiety it might help that they are in a place of comfort where they feel a little more relaxed, and having read some of the posts on here it's clear there are a great many sensible and compassionate Blues who could make a simple difference to fellow Blues who may not be feeling so well at the minute. There may even be professional listeners who post on here who could make a world of difference to others.
The other thought I had was whether there'd be any benefit in setting up an on-line 'buddy' scheme through the pm facility on here ( or maybe a dedicated section on here) where anyone who felt able to help just by listening or conversing with another Blue with difficulties could do it one-to-one over a period, maybe with someone like Groucho or The Esk matching a listener or buddy up with someone who was in a wrong place, rather than an open forum? I know we're not trained but talking openly with someone anonymously might be a good prompt for someone to push on and get professional help once they're comfortable talking about their problem.

A bit low tonight.

A few disappointments.

I can relate to that. It's really tough sometimes; you try to put things into perspective, but when you're under pressure it is really hard. What works for me sometimes is to try to switch off for an hour or so and do something I really enjoy, like watching a tv show/DVD/play a game/read a book/listen to music/whatever - try to take your mind off things, and then try and have an early night. It's a cliche, and it's not always correct 100% of the time, but things often aren't as bad in the morning. It's at night when our anxieties get the better of us. Just by posting this tonight will have helped you - you're not bottling things up, you know you're a bit stressed.

Last edited:
Just a thought, and it may well have been covered somewhere else in this thread, so apologies in advance if it has. I just wondered if there was something a step on from this wonderful forum for Blues with depression or just general struggles to get help from other Blues. Maybe Everton in the Community do something, or could be approached to do something, or even a general self-help group of guys off here just having a meet up once a month before or after a game at Goodison? For those with social anxiety it might help that they are in a place of comfort where they feel a little more relaxed, and having read some of the posts on here it's clear there are a great many sensible and compassionate Blues who could make a simple difference to fellow Blues who may not be feeling so well at the minute. There may even be professional listeners who post on here who could make a world of difference to others.
The other thought I had was whether there'd be any benefit in setting up an on-line 'buddy' scheme through the pm facility on here ( or maybe a dedicated section on here) where anyone who felt able to help just by listening or conversing with another Blue with difficulties could do it one-to-one over a period, maybe with someone like Groucho or The Esk matching a listener or buddy up with someone who was in a wrong place, rather than an open forum? I know we're not trained but talking openly with someone anonymously might be a good prompt for someone to push on and get professional help once they're comfortable talking about their problem.

You're intentions are very good, however anything like you're suggesting would have to be run hand in hand with professionals. Mental health is an absolute minefield and getting involved practically in anyway needs to be handled extremely carefully for the protection of both sides.

There's some many issues involved which is why it could / should only be done with the involvement of proffessionals.

There's a local mental health charity based in Hope Street, two doors down from the Casa - Imagine. They run a "befriending " scheme, where a volunteer is matched with a person who has mental health problems and basically befriends them - meeting up once a week and supporting them.

If something like this was to get off the ground and it's a big IF, everyone involved would have to be absolutely committed to it, as you can't just walk away from someone who is mentally ill and say this isn't for me as you could make things even worse.

Sorry to come across as negative, but only my thoughts.

Well its been a little while since I posted about the issue which I'm struggling with. Went the doctors and he didn't prescribe me anything, because of a pre-existing condition beta blockers would do me more harm than good apparently, yet they are the 'easy fix' so to speak.

Instead, I've got an anxiety appointment with the local mental health authority soon, which ironically is making me extra anxious. It might turn out to be the best thing for me, as I don't have to pop any pills and it's seen as a long term fix. I'm sceptical, but obviously I'd love it to work. Fingers crossed it turns out to be worth it, as it's a daily struggle which I'm growing weary of.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back