Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

What works for me sometimes is to try to switch off for an hour or so and do something I really enjoy, like watching a tv show/DVD/play a game/read a book/listen to music/whatever - try to take your mind off things, and then try and have an early night.
This is great advice. Taking yourself away and having personal time to yourself when stressed or anxious is a great way of dealing with pressure or mild depression.

Well its been a little while since I posted about the issue which I'm struggling with. Went the doctors and he didn't prescribe me anything, because of a pre-existing condition beta blockers would do me more harm than good apparently, yet they are the 'easy fix' so to speak.

Instead, I've got an anxiety meeting with the local mental health authority soon, which ironically is making me extra anxious. It might turn out to be the best thing for me, as I don't have to pop any pills and it's seen as a long term fix. I'm sceptical, but obviously I'd love it to work. Fingers crossed it turns out to be worth it, as it's a daily struggle which I'm growing weary of.
It was the best course of action I took, councilling. I was on Fluoxitine for 3 years and gradually came off them thanks to GP and local mental health services.

Well its been a little while since I posted about the issue which I'm struggling with. Went the doctors and he didn't prescribe me anything, because of a pre-existing condition beta blockers would do me more harm than good apparently, yet they are the 'easy fix' so to speak.

Instead, I've got an anxiety appointment with the local mental health authority soon, which ironically is making me extra anxious. It might turn out to be the best thing for me, as I don't have to pop any pills and it's seen as a long term fix. I'm sceptical, but obviously I'd love it to work. Fingers crossed it turns out to be worth it, as it's a daily struggle which I'm growing weary of.

My sisters been struggling with anxiety for a while mate and she went to some sessions about it and chatted about. She's turned a corner with it mate and it's dramatically helped her when it comes to controlling it and in turn gives her a more positive outlook on life. Fingers crossed the same happens for you so hang on in there mate.

Instead, I've got an anxiety appointment with the local mental health authority soon, which ironically is making me extra anxious. It might turn out to be the best thing for me, as I don't have to pop any pills and it's seen as a long term fix. I'm sceptical, but obviously I'd love it to work. Fingers crossed it turns out to be worth it, as it's a daily struggle which I'm growing weary of.

I've had experience of prescription meds for anxiety - Lorazepam ( Ativan ). Although they do work to block the anxiety they are only ever intended to be a short term solution, due to the fact like a lot of drugs you have to keep upping the dose to get the same effect. Which is obviously dangerous and also, as in my case you develop a dependence on them too. I can recommend a natural sedative called - VALERIAN ROOT. Usually comes in tablet form, readily available and cheap - ebay.
I,ve tried loads of stuff, more out of desperation than anything and I,ve found that stuff actually works and is t habit forming.

Hope this helps mate and good luck with your treatment.

I'd give it a go mate, honestly. Weigh things up...

What you got to lose v what you've got to gain.

It's about being positive mate and I do very much appreciate how difficult it is to take that first step towards recovery. Some people I know have undertaken CBT ( cognitive behavioural therapy ?? ) and found it really helps, it teaches you distraction and coping mechanisms for when you feel stressed or anxious, mental health therapy has come a long way in recent years mate , hope you can get some inner peace soon .

Alright everyone.

I've recently been going to see a someone every week for the past while about my social anxiety, it's something I've had my whole life to varying degrees and last year I came to the realisation that it was one of the key reasons for my depression.

I can't talk to strangers face to face, it leaves me feeling very nervous and uncomfortable which translates in my body language. It's meant my confidence has never been very high and I struggle to do simple things sometimes such as Uni work. I've been seeing a lady from a group called Inclusion Matters, some of you might have heard of them. Every week I go see her in a room and I clam up and go into my shell, I sit there with my arms folded, don't even take my coat off and don't generally say much. She's said that my defensive body language and that I close down under pressure which is correct like.

My point is I'm starting to feel as if the whole thing is a waste of time because I don't come away feeling any better or as if I've learnt something. The therapist is a very nice lady but I find she talks in circles and I can't relate to much of what she says. I tell her how my anxiety effects me, like how if I speak to a stranger how I'll run out of things to say and feel very foolish but she says stuff like "how do you know they'll be thinking that you look stupid?". I obviously don't know that, but I tell her that I can't allow myself to assume anything positive and that's my problem, but again it's just stuff like "they might think you're perfectly normal, stop assuming the worst." But that is the problem, people with anxiety can't help but assume the worst. I just don't find the stuff she tells me helpful to be honest, it feels as if she doesn't understand how bad my problem makes me feel no matter how I explain it. My body language obviously gives off the impression that I'm bored and not listening and I'm starting to get think that she's losing patience with me, but if I don't feel as if I'm gaining anything then how am I supposed to be upbeat?

Does anyone have any advice? Do you think I'm being a miserable arse or am I right to think she's just not getting it? I'm debating on whether to just sod it off but I know if I do then I'll likely never get referred again.
I understand what yiou mean when the help available doesnt feel as if it helps, i'd love to be able to offer advice pal but mental illness is very acute, no two are the same. Theres lots of different types of councilling available if done privately, but can become expensive if youve picked the wrong type, if that makes sense? I was on a 'person centred course ' which was £40 per session, and after 20 or so sessionß realized it wasnt for me, but i know people who have gained from the same treatment. Think what im trying to say is its trial and error, im still looking myself mate, hope you find it pal, if you do, let me knkw and i'll give it a go myself! Be safe man.

I've had experience of prescription meds for anxiety - Lorazepam ( Ativan ). Although they do work to block the anxiety they are only ever intended to be a short term solution, due to the fact like a lot of drugs you have to keep upping the dose to get the same effect. Which is obviously dangerous and also, as in my case you develop a dependence on them too. I can recommend a natural sedative called - VALERIAN ROOT. Usually comes in tablet form, readily available and cheap - ebay.
I,ve tried loads of stuff, more out of desperation than anything and I,ve found that stuff actually works and is t habit forming.

Hope this helps mate and good luck with your treatment.

For valerian - I use it, you can get it from Boots as well.

And it kinda smells bad, so be prepared, like...

Good luck.

Valerian root can certainly be effective and safe, but please make sure all your physicians/GP, etc know you are taking it. It can decrease the metabolism of some other medications leading to dangerous levels of those medications.

Many herbals, dietary supplements, or over-the-counter medications can interact with prescription medication. Anything you use regularly even if not daily should be shared with any medical or mental health providers.

No need to apologise mate. Hope you can get to a better place - there's always a solution in life and people out there who can help you. Please don't feel helpless or alone, or embarrassed. It's good that you can talk/post about your experiences on this forum. If nothing else, by reading others who have posted, you will see that you are not alone in feeling the way you do. Take care mate.
Thanks pal

You're intentions are very good, however anything like you're suggesting would have to be run hand in hand with professionals. Mental health is an absolute minefield and getting involved practically in anyway needs to be handled extremely carefully for the protection of both sides.

There's some many issues involved which is why it could / should only be done with the involvement of proffessionals.

There's a local mental health charity based in Hope Street, two doors down from the Casa - Imagine. They run a "befriending " scheme, where a volunteer is matched with a person who has mental health problems and basically befriends them - meeting up once a week and supporting them.

If something like this was to get off the ground and it's a big IF, everyone involved would have to be absolutely committed to it, as you can't just walk away from someone who is mentally ill and say this isn't for me as you could make things even worse.

Sorry to come across as negative, but only my thoughts.

Great points....maybe that's why EITC could be the right outlet?

Im ok ta mate, up and down but still here! Gonna get myself seen to, try it again, for my sons sake really, he needs his old man even if i dont like him much!

Keep that chin up mate, your son needs to see a Dad in control. Give him a role model to look up to, and enjoy being his guiding light. There's nothing more satisfying than purpose. Good luck pal

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back