Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Well its been a little while since I posted about the issue which I'm struggling with. Went the doctors and he didn't prescribe me anything, because of a pre-existing condition beta blockers would do me more harm than good apparently, yet they are the 'easy fix' so to speak.

Instead, I've got an anxiety appointment with the local mental health authority soon, which ironically is making me extra anxious. It might turn out to be the best thing for me, as I don't have to pop any pills and it's seen as a long term fix. I'm sceptical, but obviously I'd love it to work. Fingers crossed it turns out to be worth it, as it's a daily struggle which I'm growing weary of.
Good luck pal, hope you find an answer

Valerian root can certainly be effective and safe, but please make sure all your physicians/GP, etc know you are taking it. It can decrease the metabolism of some other medications leading to dangerous levels of those medications.

Many herbals, dietary supplements, or over-the-counter medications can interact with prescription medication. Anything you use regularly even if not daily should be shared with any medical or mental health providers.

Thanks for pointing this out, it was something I wasn't aware of.

Im ok ta mate, up and down but still here! Gonna get myself seen to, try it again, for my sons sake really, he needs his old man even if i dont like him much![/QUOTE

Good to hear you're back with us. Keep on posting and let everyone know how it's going.

I know I keep banging on about this site - The Mental Health Forum, but if you haven't looked at it, have a look at the many forums on there. Believe me there will be somewhere on there who is going through what you are going to almost to the letter .

Need to be cautious when considering meds folks, even herbal remedies. For example, St. John's wort can help but can also cause aggro with your liver enzymes.

I appreciate folk are trying to help, just be careful when considering over the counter things people.

My over arching advice to all is first and foremost "see your GP". It really will start the ball rolling to a better way of thinking.

Need to be cautious when considering meds folks, even herbal remedies. For example, St. John's wort can help but can also cause aggro with your liver enzymes.

I appreciate folk are trying to help, just be careful when considering over the counter things people.

My over arching advice to all is first and foremost "see your GP". It really will start the ball rolling to a better way of thinking.

Agree 100%!!!

Horror story, but there were transplant patients that ended up rejecting their organs due to a drug interation between St John's Wort and anit-rejection meds.

Exactly this. Talk to your GP or ask to speak to the pharmacist. You can do this privately.

They know about side effects and drug interactions. About any medicinal products.

Honestly. Its best to get professional advice.

If the GP or pharmacist are professional they certainly will be happy to give the advice too.

Exactly this. Talk to your GP or ask to speak to the pharmacist. You can do this privately.

They know about side effects and drug interactions. About any medicinal products.

Honestly. Its best to get professional advice.

If the GP or pharmacist are professional they certainly will be happy to give the advice too.
Great advice.

Good thread this . Feeling very depressed myself lately and its horrible . I can't get my round round how hard it is to deal with and I haven't even got that much to be depressed about .

Horrible thing to go through though

Good thread this . Feeling very depressed myself lately and its horrible . I can't get my round round how hard it is to deal with and I haven't even got that much to be depressed about .

Horrible thing to go through though

Think of all the high profile people who suffer / are open about their depression - Stan Collymore, Clarke Carlisle, Stephen Fry etc and you can bet there are many many more who hide it. They're all well off, doing jobs that they love, got the lifestyle, what have they got to be depressed about ? It's an illness mate, same as any other illness, think of it that way, rather than " what have I got to be depressed about " and you're on the first step to sorting it out.

Think of all the high profile people who suffer / are open about their depression - Stan Collymore, Clarke Carlisle, Stephen Fry etc and you can bet there are many many more who hide it. They're all well off, doing jobs that they love, got the lifestyle, what have they got to be depressed about ? It's an illness mate, same as any other illness, think of it that way, rather than " what have I got to be depressed about " and you're on the first step to sorting it out.

Or a wound or injury.

People can recover from a broken arm. They can break their arms several times over a period of time and recover years between.

Its no different here.

The best advice I got when I first started getting help about 14 months ago was "don't ask yourself why".

We don't know why we feel like we do, there is no answer, and digging for it will make you feel worse, not better.

I'm learning to accept when I'm down, when I'm anxious, when I'm moody, and put techniques in place to deal with it. I accept I'm a bit nutty and run with it! lol

The best advice I got when I first started getting help about 14 months ago was "don't ask yourself why".

We don't know why we feel like we do, there is no answer, and digging for it will make you feel worse, not better.

I'm learning to accept when I'm down, when I'm anxious, when I'm moody, and put techniques in place to deal with it. I accept I'm a bit nutty and run with it! lol
Great advice for all of us really ;)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back