Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

For sleep, I would recommend Valerian, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(herb) helps me masssively. It is not that strong, and not chemical of course, it just eases you and prepares you for the sleep, in about an hour. Also if you have to sleep shorter than usual, say 4 hours, this again is your best friend, when you wake up after 3-4 hours of sleep, you will feel suprisingly vigorous.
Should under no circumstances be taken with other medication, as it can cause severe adverse effects.

By it`s self it`s absolutely fine, used to take it myself, but I found that I got used to it over a period of time and was having to take more to get the same effect - so I stopped taking it.

By it`s self it`s absolutely fine, used to take it myself, but I found that I got used to it over a period of time and was having to take more to get the same effect - so I stopped taking it.

Hmm I take it once in 7-10 days, like when I feel like I should sleep earlier, so it so far works but I get you mate. If you have problems with sleep often, it may be 'light' for you.

Hmm I take it once in 7-10 days, like when I feel like I should sleep earlier, so it so far works but I get you mate. If you have problems with sleep often, it may be 'light' for you.
I was taking it every night in conjunction with Magnesium citrate, which I still take.

Intially the Valerian worked a treat, but over a period of time your body must get used to it, hence the bigger doses to get the same effect.

For sleep, I would recommend Valerian, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(herb) helps me masssively. It is not that strong, and not chemical of course, it just eases you and prepares you for the sleep, in about an hour. Also if you have to sleep shorter than usual, say 4 hours, this again is your best friend, when you wake up after 3-4 hours of sleep, you will feel suprisingly vigorous.
There is a slow release melatonin you can get on prescription in the UK,worth a Google for the name.

I just thought I would drop in to bang the drum for physical activity as an aid in coping with any mental health issues. I suffer most particularly from anxiety and walking/jogging/running to a level you are comfortable with and can actually enjoy is a massive help just in giving you a sense of achievement and in taking your mind off day-to-day worries.

I broke my calf bone in January and there were some initial complications but as of last week I'm out of the boot and walking on a crutch and started physiotherapy and exercises last week. I really miss time spent outdoors though, being active. Running and jogging to a degree but moreso just the simple things like walking my dog or deciding to pop to the shop or whatever.

Having never really sustained a fall or injury of any sort let alone a break (I'm in my mid-40's) I find this accident to be challenging physically and psychologically but then you see other people in the clinic with severe injuries that will permanently impact on their quality of life so you can't complain. But I still do.

Everything that happens is a learning experience in some form or another and good things may come from it too. I have had to depend on people from my sister's extended family (her in-laws live nearby) who have been kind enough to help me with lifts to work as I went back last week. You just have to adapt and learn. It's something positive that I had forged a good relationship with my sister's son-in-law and we can have a laugh and joke whilst in his car.

Then I come in to this thread and and once again humbled by the courage and resilience shown by others in coping with problems, many of which are difficult and complicated. And the support, kindness, and empathy on offer in return is something everyone can be proud of.

Kepp going all and keep your heads up.

Fair enough mate. I wasn't really advising anyone but I take your point. I do think it's important that people consider all options though but I'll give it a rest now. I'll update you all later as to my mental health. Good luck to all on your battles.
Please do!

The Mods still need to walk a fine line even here. Good intentions are just that but it's timely to remember that this is an International forum where many different rules apply in the Home countries. That would include some Medicines that locals may not be authorised to access.

In no way am I directing this to witchdoc187, but more of a general reminder to all.

Also, lurkers are welcome to browse this thread & may take away advice that could be unsuitable. Please, always, always, consult a Medical professional if you wish to try a new direction or even just want to ask about one. Dr. Google does not have your best interests at heart.

;)

I’m having a tough day today. I’m a children’s nurse in A&E and about five weeks ago I was looking after a 7 year old boy that came in with a simple abdominal pain. After a blood test we found he had a form of leukaemia called ALL.
I went in the room when the doctor told his family, he wasn’t there and they didn’t want him to know straight away. We went back to his bedside and chatted with him. I did the ‘professional thing’ by being strong until he said “your my favourite nurse”
Since then we are mates and I’ve become close to his family, I’ve gone in on my day off to see him whilst he has chemo and everything has been going ok until last night.
They got the 29 day results and they don’t look good, it’s likely that he’ll have to go to London as an inpatient for intensive chemo.
I obviously care about my patients every one of them, but this little fella has really got to me.
he is ok, he is only 7 for gods sake

I’m having a tough day today. I’m a children’s nurse in A&E and about five weeks ago I was looking after a 7 year old boy that came in with a simple abdominal pain. After a blood test we found he had a form of leukaemia called ALL.
I went in the room when the doctor told his family, he wasn’t there and they didn’t want him to know straight away. We went back to his bedside and chatted with him. I did the ‘professional thing’ by being strong until he said “your my favourite nurse”
Since then we are mates and I’ve become close to his family, I’ve gone in on my day off to see him whilst he has chemo and everything has been going ok until last night.
They got the 29 day results and they don’t look good, it’s likely that he’ll have to go to London as an inpatient for intensive chemo.
I obviously care about my patients every one of them, but this little fella has really got to me.
Does the hospital provide anyone you can talk to in confidence.

You wouldn`t be human if things like this didn`t affect you x

I'll tell you what you've got more guts than me mate that's a job I couldn't do. But fair play to you , you are giving the little fella comfort and hope. As said above you wouldn't be human if something like this didn't affect you.

Have you got a mentor mate? Just curious/interested.
I've taken informal guidance from somebody who has treated themselves. I realise this may seem like a risk but I was very desperate as I mentioned. I don't really want to go too into it because I don't think there's much support for these types of alternatives which I understand even if I don't agree

Really struggling tonight. I used to go out every Saturday since I was 18 till 24. Haven't been out for a night out for 2+ years now. Obviously, my choice but I associated going out with drugs, alcohol and ultimately - fights. When I'm dunk and have cash on me I make awful decisions. So, decided to take action and ensure I don't get in that position. I simply can't afford to risk my job.

So, told all my mates I would be out (they think I'm being boring and have be asking for months to come out) got to 8pm, I was buzzing, Oasis songs on full volume, few cheeky cans, getting my aftershave on, shave etc... Then, all of a sudden, for no real reason I just felt low. Suddenly, I felt this overwhelming sense of 'I can't do this'. My mates are in a WhatsApp group, once I told them I wasn't going out they took the mick, suggesting I wasn't going out because I'm skint or that I had a girl around mine etc... We talked about boxing, football and stuff. Anyway, I told them not to worry and to have a good night.

In reality, I bought a big bottle Vodka at my local shop and retreated to my comfort zone - my bedroom.. About 1 hour ago, I started crying. I never cry, it's extremely rare. It wasn't because I wasn't going out, it was because my 'depression' has broke me completely. I'm absolutely sick of feeling this way. I haven't touched spirits for months, now I've relapsed. I feel annoyed with myself. I'm also at that self-pity mode of - I give up.

Anyway, my family have no idea I feel this way, nor do my mates. I've kept this act up, I'm very good at it. I'm sure, many people reading this also hide it, especially blokes. Why? Because we're blokes, we can't be seen as weak. That's our mentality.

I used to be very ignorant about mental health. My old neighbour was this 40+ year old lady, who'd play Nirvana songs till 3am and was a full-on alcoholic. She'd play the Titantic theme, then cry for ages. When I was a kid (like 9) me and my old mates would knock on her door and run. We'd tease her for appearance. To show off, I'd call her 'Crazy Bitch' when She went to our corner shop..She killed herself a few years ago. Jumped over the Sunderland bridge. I only found out when my mam showed me the newspper. Now, I totally regret my actions. Now I've had mental health issues (probably not on her scale) I can relate to her. If only, I could go back, talk to her and listen to her story. Not saying I'd save her, she was deeply troubled, but I regret making her life that tiny bit harder. I just didn't understand, being so young.

Depression is awful, I sincerely hope you all get the help you need. Keep talking.

I keep reminding myself it'll get better. I'm low tonight, 1-0 to the demon but I'll get up tomorrow and go to work, make it through the day and equalise. Ridiculous football analogy, but that's how I see it.

I know for a fact Vodka makes me 10x worse. Frustrating, why drink something you know makes you worse?

I try to keep a sense of perspective. I try to tell myself, there is people who are dying from terminal illness, much younger than me, so I should be grateful, Just look at our Bradley Lowery. His entire life consisted of pain and hospitals, my mental illness is about 0.1& of what that poor, lovely kid went through. How do I have the nerve to feel so sorry for myself. I try to convince myself I'm lucky., that I'm being selfish for feeling so low when I have a nice home, job, family & friends. But, if I'm not happy than all of that means [Poor language removed] all surely?

My 'therapist' summed it up nicely a few months ago. She asked me to fill out a questionaire.

• Do you struggle with simple things?
  • Do you find it hard to motivate yourself?
  • Do you question yourself and your judgement
That sort of thing. I basically answered 'Yes' for everything and handed it back to her.

"Mark you need to realise; it will not just disappear. What will happen, is eventually, you'll have less 'bad days'. I will help you, but I can't give you a tablet and it'll go. Exercise, motivation and self-will will prevail. 95% of this is mental. You didn't always feel so low, so you can get back there, with the right help".

Sorry for such a long post everyone. Take care all! Keep posting on here. Talking about it (even if it is awkward and hard) is half the battle.

You'e not weak, on the contrary, dealing with such a monumental; taboo illness takes real balls.

Last edited:
Mark, good to get it off your chest. Long posts give others the chance to connect with something the have experienced and can help you with.Do NOT feel guilty for feeling crap when others are suffering too. We are all different and I used to wish I was physically ill so that guilt in my head would have an excuse. Of course there are people "worse off than you" ( got sick of hearing that) but you can only concentrate on you for your own good and the good of your family. You acknowledge the Vodka is no good so try and poor the thing down the sink and take ownership of it. Baby steps mate. Go easy.