Dogs

Should be allowed to keep Staffies etc?

• Yes

• No

• Pedigree, chum

Results are only viewable after voting.
My dogs anal gland has ruptured on Sat. Thought he’s had the wildies and his back end was caked in cack, but when I cleaned him up it wasn’t poo but dried blood ☹️.
Had an open wound about 2cm long.
Seems to be healing ok but trip to the vets no doubt tomorrow.
Showed no signs of discomfort but had been licking his back paw a bit excessively for the last couple of weeks.
Feel terrible for not noticing, used to try to ‘express’ them until about 18m ago but always seems a waste of time.
Poor thing.
Course of antibiotics and some pain killers (which I haven’t given him as he’s not in pain and the quack said they might make him sick) and he’s right as rain.
Worst part for him was the vet stuck his finger knuckle deep up his bum ⛔
Turns out the other gland was full too so that got cleared out.
Almost completely healed now, got to go back for a check next week.
£118 so far.
50B7BF3B-F53B-4895-BA7A-51B26510C08C.webp

Course of antibiotics and some pain killers (which I haven’t given him as he’s not in pain and the quack said they might make him sick) and he’s right as rain.
£118 so far.
View attachment 234118

I remember the screams from my oldest dog when the vet emptied his anal glands.

The boys on tour in Scotland earlier this week

Screenshot_20231105_161310_Gallery.webp

£118 so far.
View attachment 234118
We have to take our dog to have his glands expressed monthly. He doesn’t even flinch when it happens now after 3 years of it. (It was fortnightly when he was a puppy) I blame kibble but by the time we changed his food to raw it had been going on too long so he still needs help with it but it is improved.

Costs £25 a time at our vets if you aren’t on the pet plan.

We have to take our dog to have his glands expressed monthly. He doesn’t even flinch when it happens now after 3 years of it. (It was fortnightly when he was a puppy) I blame kibble but by the time we changed his food to raw it had been going on too long so he still needs help with it but it is improved.

Costs £25 a time at our vets if you aren’t on the pet plan.
He’s on raw food already and what he passes you would think would be sufficient to keep them flowing.
Interestingly the vet was quite negative about raw food, although we have a toddler so it was more about salmonella and Campylobacter risks
Been considering the vet plan, as much to cover his worming tablets as anything so if this is going to be a regular trip in future it will probably become worthwhile now.

He’s on raw food already and what he passes you would think would be sufficient to keep them flowing.
Interestingly the vet was quite negative about raw food, although we have a toddler so it was more about salmonella and Campylobacter risks
Been considering the vet plan, as much to cover his worming tablets as anything so if this is going to be a regular trip in future it will probably become worthwhile now.
We have had mixed views from different vets within our vet practice about raw food but it made such a huge difference to his behaviour and his toileting.

But we are just moving on to Pure Pet food (similar to butternut box but cheaper) due to those risks you mentioned as we are hoping for children so want to negate that risk if we get pregnant.

We have had mixed views from different vets within our vet practice about raw food but it made such a huge difference to his behaviour and his toileting.

But we are just moving on to Pure Pet food (similar to butternut box but cheaper) due to those risks you mentioned as we are hoping for children so want to negate that risk if we get pregnant.
Might give this a try, ours loves what he’s getting now (Bella & Duke) and he’s never exhibited any of the breed skin problems etc so we’ve been a bit wary of changing it tbh but Pure looks like. It might be ok.
Certainly cheaper by the looks of it!

Might give this a try, ours loves what he’s getting now (Bella & Duke) and he’s never exhibited any of the breed skin problems etc so we’ve been a bit wary of changing it tbh but Pure looks like. It might be ok.
Certainly cheaper by the looks of it!
It works out at £2ish a day for us once the full price starts being charged. Currently we pay just over £1 a day for his food so it’s doubled in price for us but I think it’s more important for us that there is no risk of infection at this time.

I’d have a look around though as I’ve read mixed things about Pures customer service etc, but have taken the chance with it. Early days yet though.

My mate had one, hard as nails, loyal as anything and like a guard dog with his kids.

There was no dog on the planet it wouldn`t fight.

A bit like it`s owner, as he was an ex Marine Commando lol

Mine, Neville, is an absolute lunatic and has been a lot of hard work, but is the most loyal dog you could ever imagine.

He's calmed down a lot since he had his pockets picked 18 months ago, but can still be a bit wary of other dogs. Genuinely amazing dogs though and are essentially just Terrier Ultra+.

Love Airedales as well.

Was out today and came home, got out of the car and outside next doors house i seen a black lab with no lead on and no owner in sight so i jumped to the conclusion it was my dog and started to shout his name.

This dog looks up at me and freaks completely out running away out on to the road thinking someone was trying to steal him. Then i realised it's the black lab that lives 2 doors down, mine was in his bed sleeping. Just aswell no cars were on the road.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back