2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he did ok yesterday without pulling up any trees. Held the ball up well at times and I thought he combined well with Richarlison in the second half. The reality is like it or not he's our best CF at the moment. Tosun is worse.

....no way that will happen. Silva will want his best CF available. They were talking yesterday of him getting called into the full England squad and folk want to send him the Championship.

If he was up for sale, Premier League club’s will be very keen on taking him.
Just shows you how far internationally recognition has fallen!

Thought he did ok yesterday without pulling up any trees. Held the ball up well at times and I thought he combined well with Richarlison in the second half. The reality is like it or not he's our best CF at the moment. Tosun is worse.

Agree but if he is still our best CF come next season then we will be in big trouble. The lad is nowhere being close to a productive CF so we have to do something about it in the summer. Can't fault his endeavour but currently not good enough for us at least.

Dom would have been quick enough to get on to the pass from Gomes at the end.

Still things he needs to work on. Saw him win possession in our left 40 metres out in the first half and no sprint into the box to get on the end of the cross.

The kid is skilful, I will give him that.

Sounds like his performance and effort split opinion yesterday. I'd have to watch the game back but I personally don't remember all this effort he put in.

I also think we need far more from him than winning a few flick on headers, or easy saves for their keeper. Strange one as I thought he did well against Cardiff, but I just didn't see it with him yesterday. One thing I will say in his defence is that it must be hard playing that role, as Tosun and Richarlison have both also struggled a lot this season having to lead the line.

....I guarantee it was a performance that delighted his team mates. Every time a ball is knocked forward, the defence needs respite, DCL provided that yesterday. I noticed lots of occasions when VvD won a header but didn’t control it. It’s little things like that which make a huge difference in the opposition getting into a rhythm.

VvD was outstanding yesterday, but I’m sure he’ll have respected DCL. It was a selfless performance, it was a performance for the team.

Last edited:

DCL has shown big improvement in his last 2 games. If he can take the confidence from those performances to continue the improvement, we may yet have a player on our hands.

I do agree that a top striker is a requirement before next season though.

A loan to the Championship isn't a one-size-fits-all approach, where ANY young player should go there to toughen up, get some success, travel a bit, 'do it on a windy night at Stoke' etc...
What if the management have seen that he is already a tough character, and he needs skill development and coaching with us? Maybe he's already confident and doesn't need 10-15 goals to get more?
He might be the type who needs to be around us more , and in 1-2 yrs or so if we stick with him he'll come good - of course with a senior striking partner.

Don't forget ALL of our front players are either young and inexperienced (Richarlison, DCL, Lookman) or underperforming seniors who have not quite fulfilled their potential (Tosun, Walcott, Bernard) so we've got some work to do .

Gylfi, maybe Dowelland even VLasic may be key to solving this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.