2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I’d agree but Sterling’s finishing has massively improved.

You can't really compare the two though. He's a winger and was banging double figures in at 19. DCL is a striker, 23 this season and his best goal return in a season is 8.

Besides, Sterling was always a very decent finisher at Liverpool. At least, he wasn't a 'bad' finisher that I can recall. Admittedly his finishing has improved since Guardiola went to City and they changed system though. You've got to factor in that he's played in much better teams so will get more chances by the law of averages.

I like Dom but he's never going to be prolific. Not selfish enough at times. Doesn't read the game well enough to be in the right place. Too often I see him either static in the penalty area or when we're on a counter and the ball's going into the box, he's out on the touchline. It's not where he needs to be and it's not how you'd see the best forwards operating. If we were scoring for fun with him in the system, you'd keep him in there but that's not the case.

Hopefully we see Kean offering up that sort of movement and we can start putting away these chances.

I find this a really bizarre line of argument. People are just talking about his ability levels. Nobody thinks he picks himself, no player picks themselves, so it's a really odd thing to say. If you think the owner, chairman, director of football and manager aren't also getting stick, I suggest you pop into their threads every now and again just to highlight how wrong you are.

And I find it bizzare that a load of blues are swarming around here slating their own player, probably the same blues that spout stuff like "hard work is all we ask for" when we sign a new player - clearly by the looks of this thread if a player works hard and doesn't produce immediately we spit our dummies out and highlight every inconsistency and yell "get rid" or "will never be good enough".

Normally I’d agree but Sterling’s finishing has massively improved.

I think that is more Man City's style of play favouring the instinctive finishing he's always had. Sterling is great at timing his run in behind and City have the quality of pass to find him. A large part of their attacking play is designed to ensure Sterling receives the ball very close to the opposition goal.

He can then instinctively slot it rather than having too much time to think about it.

He also knows he will get lots of these chances in each match so the pressure is normally off.

You can't really compare the two though. He's a winger and was banging double figures in at 19. DCL is a striker, 23 this season and his best goal return in a season is 8.

Besides, Sterling was always a very decent finisher at Liverpool. At least, he wasn't a 'bad' finisher that I can recall. Admittedly his finishing has improved since Guardiola went to City and they changed system though. You've got to factor in that he's played in much better teams so will get more chances by the law of averages.

I like Dom but he's never going to be prolific. Not selfish enough at times. Doesn't read the game well enough to be in the right place. Too often I see him either static in the penalty area or when we're on a counter and the ball's going into the box, he's out on the touchline. It's not where he needs to be and it's not how you'd see the best forwards operating. If we were scoring for fun with him in the system, you'd keep him in there but that's not the case.

Hopefully we see Kean offering up that sort of movement and we can start putting away these chances.

Sterling’s finishing was BAD that’s why it’s constantly brought up by every pundit now he’s scoring.

I’m not saying Dom’s will improve I’m just providing evidence it’s not impossible to get better at something through practice.

Sterling’s finishing was BAD that’s why it’s constantly brought up by every pundit now he’s scoring.

I’m not saying Dom’s will improve I’m just providing evidence it’s not impossible to get better at something through practice.
You do not get double figures in the Prem as a teenager with poor finishing, it’s a myth

DCL's issue is that he struggles to make the movements/runs necessary to be found in space. It means he is always marked.

He is most effective when he uses this physicality to harass the opposition defenders, pressing them to lose the ball, winning headers, making space for others etc. This makes best use of where his talent lies and mitigates his inability to find himself space. It does however lead me to suspect he will never be prolific.

We are all hoping that Kean can make those runs, find that space and then apply the finish. If he can also do a bit of DCL's good work in harassing the opposition defence then he will definitely be our starting forward.

That's not evidence. That's theory.

That Sterlings finishing >was< bad is subjective. That it's "constantly" brought up by pundits is subjective. The credibility of said pundits is subjective.

Getting better at many things through practice is certainly possible but substantially improving finishing ability isn't one. This is also theory.

And I find it bizzare that a load of blues are swarming around here slating their own player, probably the same blues that spout stuff like "hard work is all we ask for" when we sign a new player - clearly by the looks of this thread if a player works hard and doesn't produce immediately we spit our dummies out and highlight every inconsistency and yell "get rid" or "will never be good enough".
Not sure commenting on his own designated thread on an internet forum can really be considered spitting your dummy out to be honest.

No mate, all we ask is that he scores a few goals.

On the evidence so far, that doesn’t look like something that’s ever gonna happen.

That's not evidence. That's theory.

That Sterlings finishing >was< bad is subjective. That it's "constantly" brought up by pundits is subjective. The credibility of said pundits is subjective.

Getting better at many things through practice is certainly possible but substantially improving finishing ability isn't one. This is also theory.

So if DCL not improving is a theory why are you allowed to discount my Sterling “theory” as if your DCL “theory” is a fact?

It’s not a myth but crack on. Probably a nice little video of all the chances he somehow missed.
And you can make the same video for last season as well, he misses chances like every forward but gets more created for him for a more dominant team

DCL's issue is that he struggles to make the movements/runs necessary to be found in space. It means he is always marked.

He is most effective when he uses this physicality to harass the opposition defenders, pressing them to lose the ball, winning headers, making space for others etc. This makes best use of where his talent lies and mitigates his inability to find himself space. It does however lead me to suspect he will never be prolific.

We are all hoping that Kean can make those runs, find that space and then apply the finish. If he can also do a bit of DCL's good work in harassing the opposition defence then he will definitely be our starting forward.

Does this mean that he does not have the football brain to see space, to see opportunities if so afraid he will never become any better than what he is now, and really of little use for the team when one looks at the players signed to step up into the 1st 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.