2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he had a purple patch start of last season but don't recall much happening in 2nd half of season.Also don't remember him being that prolific in previous 3 or 4 seasons.Seems to blow very hot and cold, some games have hardly noticed him on the pitch.

What other 1 in 2 striker was chased out?

Also DCL isn't a 1 in 2 striker.
16 in 38 last season is closer to 1 in 2 than 1 in 3.

He's not in the top tier of European strikers, but it's not like we're going to attract and retain a player like Haaland right now. If we have a key piece, DCL is it, and it's probably not coincidental that we eventually ended up on relegation form with him out. Add DCL and his goals over the last several months, and we're probably in a bad, midtable spot with Benitez still in charge rather than in a crisis with the trapdoor beckoning.

The summer has to be get something for Kean, cash in on Richarlison if he forces the move we all expect, get something for the younger players with one year left if possible, and use the proceeds and freed-up wages from the out-of-contract players to get some young talent in.

I know he had a purple patch start of last season but don't recall much happening in 2nd half of season.Also don't remember him being that prolific in previous 3 or 4 seasons.Seems to blow very hot and cold, some games have hardly noticed him on the pitch.

He started the season with 11 in 11 and then finished it with 5 in 20 odd.

Not the worst of our problems and a decent player, but people are deluded if they think anyone is paying 60+ for him, or if they do we shouldn't accept it

He's not in the top tier of European strikers, but it's not like we're going to attract and retain a player like Haaland right now. If we have a key piece, DCL is it, and it's probably not coincidental that we eventually ended up on relegation form with him out. Add DCL and his goals over the last several months, and we're probably in a bad, midtable spot with Benitez still in charge rather than in a crisis with the trapdoor beckoning.

The summer has to be get something for Kean, cash in on Richarlison if he forces the move we all expect, get something for the younger players with one year left if possible, and use the proceeds and freed-up wages from the out-of-contract players to get some young talent in.

21 in 39 in all comps is better than 1 in 2.

Lukaku.

DCL 1 in 2 last season, 1 in 2 this season, under 1 in 3 season before.

Who was lukuku chased out by exactly? He wouldn't sign a new contract and was sold he wanted to go.

He had a 1 in 2 season last season but that's purely down to the fact he had a great first third to the season, the rest of the season he was back to his 1 in 4+ goals.

Can't argue again he's 1 in 2 this season, but let's be honest it's 1 in 6 from open play ( which is fine all goals count ) but he's been shocking these last few games ( not the only one )

As I said, he's not a player we should be actively looking yo sell but if someone comes in and offers 60m+ it would be foolish to turn down.

Who was lukuku chased out by exactly? He wouldn't sign a new contract and was sold he wanted to go.

He had a 1 in 2 season last season but that's purely down to the fact he had a great first third to the season, the rest of the season he was back to his 1 in 4+ goals.

Can't argue again he's 1 in 2 this season, but let's be honest it's 1 in 6 from open play ( which is fine all goals count ) but he's been shocking these last few games ( not the only one )

As I said, he's not a player we should be actively looking yo sell but if someone comes in and offers 60m+ it would be foolish to turn down.

Ah, forgive me, I forgot goals from open play don't count and goals in different halves of seasons are worth more. Crack on.

I like him but you need to play a particular style of play to get the best out of him. He excels in hoofball or getting the ball out wide for crosses into the box. Both styles are quite dated now and I'd like a more dynamic player up there, even alongside him.

Don't think him and Richarlison are good together.

I agree with your general point, and I definitely wouldn't be actively looking to sell DCL, but on the bolded bit I think it's key to remember that we wouldn't (in theory at least!) be replacing him with Rondon if we sold him for £60m+. I have little faith in our ability to do it because of our recent recruitment, but on the face of it you could replace him fairly adequately for considerably less than that. Again, it's not something I'm sat here thinking I hope we do, but it's something that could make sense.

But calling someone a 1 in 2 striker would mean they are a 1 in 2 striker for more than one season in about 5/6?

He's not a 1 in 2 striker until he does it on a consistent basis.

Well as players get older and more experienced it should be an upward trajectory. So better than 1-in-3 in 2019/20, 1-in-2 last season and then 1-in-2 this season - is that consistent upward trajectory now?

Ah, forgive me, I forgot goals from open play don't count and goals in different halves of seasons are worth more. Crack on.

Your doing what you always do and make up things no one has said.

But in regards to your second point, I'd rather have a striker who scores goals consistently throughout the whole season rather than one who bangs in 70% of his goals in the first part of the season and then doesn't do much for the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.