2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it’s a target but a 20 goal a season striker particularly a consistent one is an absolute unicorn in football particularly outside of the elite.

Fwiw I think DCL stays, I have significant worries about how he’s handled his injury (if the club haven’t wrapped him in cotton wool) and I don’t think he has much more of a ceiling than we have seen but he’s by far and away the best striker we’re going to get and we should all be hoping he smashes it next season
I have a feeling he started with that injury on international duty too.....

Do you know how many Everton Strikers have scored 20 goals in the last 40 years?

Yea, just shows how bloody awful we have been mate. That's a reflection upon the club and how low our standards have been.

It's a bit different if you've got a handful of players all chipping in with 10+ goals but DCL has been the main man up top since Lukaku went and he's absolutely nowhere near his level. Never has been, never will be. I'd love him to be but he isn't and we need better.

People laughing at 15 goals like its nothing.

We would give our right arm for a Striker who could score 15 goals a season.
Cos we're crap mate. Not many good strikers around either, possibly to do with the way youth development doesn't really focus on specific positions now and looks to create more rounded footballers. You get a shortage of proper out and out centre forwards

Cos we're crap mate. Not many good strikers around either, possibly to do with the way youth development doesn't really focus on specific positions now and looks to create more rounded footballers. You get a shortage of proper out and out centre forwards
Harry Kane has 15 goals this season.

Do you consider him not good enough?

Anyway, judge him when hes on the pitch.

I know it’s a target but a 20 goal a season striker particularly a consistent one is an absolute unicorn in football particularly outside of the elite.

Fwiw I think DCL stays, I have significant worries about how he’s handled his injury (if the club haven’t wrapped him in cotton wool) and I don’t think he has much more of a ceiling than we have seen but he’s by far and away the best striker we’re going to get and we should all be hoping he smashes it next season
But he's been nowhere near 20, nowhere near 15 for the majority of his career and I'm not having it that he's still some kid at 25.

The crux of the argument really is that if DCL IS knocking 20 goals in then we must be creating 100s of chances because his conversion rate is pretty poor. A better striker would get more.

I'd keep him because he does a very important job, especially when he's roughing up defenders, like I remember him doing to Kyle Walker, but we need a clinical finisher and if we had one I think DCL would feature a lot less.

But he's been nowhere near 20, nowhere near 15 for the majority of his career and I'm not having it that he's still some kid at 25.

The crux of the argument really is that if DCL IS knocking 20 goals in then we must be creating 100s of chances because his conversion rate is pretty poor. A better striker would get more.

I'd keep him because he does a very important job, especially when he's roughing up defenders, like I remember him doing to Kyle Walker, but we need a clinical finisher and if we had one I think DCL would feature a lot less.
Think you should check his conversion rate mate, its no worse than the elite strikers in the league.

The caveat is that we are literally incapable of signing decent players of late which is frustrating

Harry Kane has 15 goals this season.

Do you consider him not good enough?

Anyway, judge him when hes on the pitch.
Harry Kane's record speaks for itself. 15 goals for him is a downward blip in form. 20 goals for DCL is a "unicorn" season for him, won't happen again imo.

We'll see who's right won't we, I hope I'm wrong and I'll be happy to admit that too, will you?

15 goals is not a blinder mate. A striker should be targeting 20 goals a season. He hasn't been a teenager for 6 years mate, he's 25 and it is absolutely fair to criticise him on his performances now. I think you should be looking to be established in the first team at around age 23 if you're going to "make it" and I mean that you should be having a significant impact on team performances at that age.

I fully accept he's had a difficult injury this season but there's nothing really to suggest he's going to hit 20 again for us. His strike rate has always been poor, he's not clinical and when you're struggling to create chances you need your striker to be able to take the few chances that present themselves.
A 20 goal a season striker is world class. That's Salah, Son, Kane levels. 15 goals a season for an Everton striker is very good, especially considering his age.

It's like Lukaku all over again. He gets slated because he can't do everything it seems.

Harry Kane's record speaks for itself. 15 goals for him is a downward blip in form. 20 goals for DCL is a "unicorn" season for him, won't happen again imo.

We'll see who's right won't we, I hope I'm wrong and I'll be happy to admit that too, will you?
I doubt you will be here much longer.

But admit im wrong about what?

You wont even admit hes had a good 2 seasons, so it would be pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back