2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we often overlook the mental aspect of injury.

Take Gomes for example, it takes some doing to get back on a football pitch when your ankle was facing the wrong way, im not using it as an excuse, I just feel we overlook it.

Dom also, he was flying, off the back of his best ever season, hits the ground running and then next minute hes having convos with Doctors and they're saying words like long-lasting damage and things. Then he tries to put himself out there, get himself exposure and money yes and hes got people accusing him of not caring.

As I said at the Brentford game somebody stood about 10 foot from him and screamed for him to "koff to Arsenal" and he heard him, he was looking right at him. Its the reason im trying to be a better me, im not saying im not gonna be bantering around, but im honestly making more of an effort to, well, not be so much of an arsehole to other people.
I think this crapshow of a season and getting over the line safe when I thought we were dead and buried, especially after the Burnley result, has helped me to put some things into perspective, and evaluate how I treat everyone I interact with, not just our players when I’m at the ground or venting on here.

I have completely overlooked the mental aspect of injury, which is bloody stupid of me, as I’ve had a few bad injuries myself when playing Saturday and Sunday league years ago, where I was out for a while and my mood went in the toilet - how I’ve never thought about it before has shocked me.

I think the way the season went did not help us fans in dealing with dcls injury and the other poor playing performances,as well as we probably could have, which isn’t an excuse btw, just some mitigation.

Seeing how together we have been lately, when the poop really was hitting the fan has shown me that getting behind and actually supporting the players has to be better than castigating them every chance we get.

I’m doing the same as you mate - trying to be the best version of me I can be and less of an arse to people - I might not always succeed but I’m gonna do me best to remember everyone, including our well paid premier league players, are fighting their own battles daily.

I read it as tho he was about to tell us he was a sausage jockey. We all know anyway, but good luck to the lad. ?

I’ve never seen a reported post that required scrolling to see all the reports.
Homophonic?. Definitely not. I cracked a joke and wished the lad well. I couldn’t give two craps if he’s gay or not.

That is not a joke. It is offensive and unacceptable

I’ve never seen a reported post that required scrolling to see all the reports.

That is not a joke. It is offensive and unacceptable
Depressing as his offensive posts were there is something heartening about that united, swift and vocal condemnation - as well as the supportive and ”I’m trying to be a better me” posts about mental health.

We all obviously have a way to go but it does seem the majority, at least on this forum, realize it is a trip worth making.

If you’ve ever seen the look in someone’s eyes who is really suffering with depression it’s a look that you only understand if you’ve seen it. I saw it when he missed the penalty against Brighton. Somebody who felt so low and didn’t know it/understand why.

Footballers are idolised for what they do on the pitch. But real leadership or character is what kind of person they are in the real world and I think Dom is a trailblazer in the sense that in the hyper masculine world of premier league football he is not ashamed to be him self and to be honest about how he feels and by being authentic and brave enough to set an example for others men imparticular.

His goal to save our club from relegation will go down in our history as one of the most important in history. But what he’s done off it could really be more important in that it’s not far fetched to say that it could save lives. And there is no stat for that.

….Sky News picking up the DCL statement on his mental health problems.

A lesson to us all when a young man who seemingly has it all and appears perfectly content in his own skin can suffer in this way.

Takes a special person to do what he’s done.

Not your average Premier League footballer though. Articulate and individual. Brave as a lion. Good job players don't read the tripe in various fora ! Doubt some small minded individuals would bother him though. Up our high heeled wearing, handbag toting, fashionista #9 !

….Sky News picking up the DCL statement on his mental health problems.

A lesson to us all when a young man who seemingly has it all and appears perfectly content in his own skin can suffer in this way.

Takes a special person to do what he’s done.
Didn’t need to speak out at all. This is a selfless act and will be more about providing a platform for others to feel able to discuss their own issues. We have our own platform for this on GOT and it is full of people in the same situation. Premier league footballers are no different. Have we learnt nothing from Gary Speed RIP. Dom has hopefully reignited the debate about mental awareness and should rightly be applauded. Sadly he might leave over the summer before the right response could be given by fans in the first match back at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.